Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work!

Missing is the "Join City" command.

Further, the unit is called "Settlers" or "Engineers", i.e. no singular nouns apply.
    Think of them as teams, just like the "Horsemen" unit is more than a single rider.

I'm not sure, but I think you can find Settlers in huts until YOU discover invention (or maybe it is until explosives for Settlers?), just like you can still get tech when another tribe (but not you) already knows about invention.
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
      I think you can just click on the settler at the end of the turn: the work of the settler will be cumulated, but the settler will be waked next turn.
      The key was the part about the job almost being done, and the Settler being assessed toward the end of the turn. I'll see if I can phrase that better.

Ribannah: This multiple-engineer thing is hard enough without single units being plural. I think I will continue to take liberties with the names.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

The problem may be caused by my poor english...
        But if your settler is the last unit assessed on the current turn and his work job be finished the next turn, then you can click him preventively before you press Enter (end of turn): he won't continue working the next turn.

Do you refresh both versions (apolyton and angel fire)? I hope so (but I would be lazy to do it): I have re-read the apolyton now.
        2.2 3rd paragraph
        Irrigation can only be built if a square immediately (not diagonally) adjacent is ocean, river, or is a non-city square with irrigation.
        Are you sure that an adjacent city square with a river works?

2.2 3rd paragraph: continuation
        Test result: Even the city square that was irrigated before building a city don't allow irrigation
        I would include it. One day somebody could test it again...
        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Are you sure that an adjacent city square with a river works?
          Yes, that works. Note, however, that the city square (if not on a river) doesn't actually show as irrigated on the screen until it borders on an irrigated square (or river or ocean), even while it counts as irrigated with regard to food produced.
          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
            Note, however, that the city square (if not on a river) doesn't actually show as irrigated on the screen until it borders on an irrigated square (or river or ocean),
            I don't understand... Do you mean that city square doesn't actually show as irrigated on the world or city screen?
            I don't know how I can see the irrigation/non-irrigation of the city square.
            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I don't understand... Do you mean that city square doesn't actually show as irrigated on the world or city screen?
              I don't know how I can see the irrigation/non-irrigation of the city square.
              The (main) world screen. Once it does show, the irrigation it is clearly visible underneath the city. The town buildings don't quite cover the entire city square.

Comment

Gastrifitis:

A very useful compilation indeed. Thanks for taking the time to pull it together.

One suggestion:
                In 3.2.1. TABLE 3-Work time for Settlers and Engineers, you might want to clarify whether the number of turns to build a railroad is from scratch or given that a road is already in place. I think you reported the former, but the number of turns given a road in place might be more relevant to actual game-play situations. (If you are using railroads to connect cities, you would almost always build them atop existing roads.) IIRC, railroads are essentially "double" roads, so building a railroad atop an existing road cuts the number of turns in half.

edit: spelling
                Last edited by Adam Smith; July 23, 2001, 13:37.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Ummm...I think that it takes longer to build a RR on top of an existing road than it does to build the road in the first place; my engineers build roads in a single turn (on plains, grassland, etc.), but take two turns to build a RR on top of that.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Perhaps this is going outside the topic of Settlers/Engineers per se, but note that an Airfield also prevents enemy aircraft (including Nukes) from entering the tile. This has profound impact in late game Engineer strategies.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

NON unit addict

I almost forgot my favorite late-game Engineer tactic: transport Engr (or better, old Settler) to island nearer an AI city than any of your cities. Found city, maximize for shields, build Engr unit, buy unit before city grows to size 2.

Voila, a NON Engineer!
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Hidden cities

Ribannah, although we are digressing from the subject, I'd add that if you trade maps with somebody, and there are cities in the area that were built after the civ you traded maps with explored, the new cities show as empty, irrigated tiles.

Comment

Re: Hidden cities

Originally posted by Straybow
                          Ribannah, although we are digressing from the subject, I'd add that if you trade maps with somebody, and there are cities in the area that were built after the civ you traded maps with explored, the new cities show as empty, irrigated tiles.
                          Now you learn something every day ...

SG[1]
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

What being a cheat gets you

I had noticed the odd irrigated tile on those traded maps and decided to take a peek at the world map to find out what they were. Hey, that's what cheating is for, right? Just a tool to learn more about the way the game works. Certainly nobody would really cheat, right?

[straightens tie innocently]

Comment

I'm not sure if this was posted allready here(sorry, but it is a lot to read) but Slowthinker suggested me to post it here, so I do.

I read something in the Great Library Index about the settler building in the size1 capital. I think some question weren't answered or I'm blind.
                              The food box remains filled. The settler costs 1 shield and one food.

Another Trick with Settlers for Micromanagers. Whith the right timing, your cities will remain decreased for only the one turn when you build the settler. Multiply the size of your city with ten and you see, how much grain you need, so that the city grows within the next turn after you build your settler.
                              Who's the Man?

Comment

Shaft - not quite a size 1 capital - it must be your only city at this time as well -- but it works very nicely -- the Settler support is whatever is appropriate to your government - which need not be Despotism -- if you wander for ages before founding you can have already revolted to Monarchy or even to a 'higher' form of government ...

SG[1]
                                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                                X