Need an Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Idea

I want an idea for an original, fictional scenario that I can build off of. Can I get some ideas?
    Last edited by Ravlon the Magnificent; July 10, 2010, 18:24.
    Ravlon's Facebook fan page

What do you mean by fictional?

You mean someone suggest a setting(e.g Tolkien) to work on?

Comment

It's not really original if somebody else comes up with the idea.

Seriously though, by "fictional" do you mean set in a non-historical background, like LotR or Star Wars? There aren't a lot of original space scenarios afaik, they're mostly Babylon 5/SW/ST/whatever. Try an empire-building game like Vanilla Civ, only in an original outer-space setting.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by gvari7 View Post
        What do you mean by fictional?

You mean someone suggest a setting(e.g Tolkien) to work on?
        Yes, except a more generalized thing, like space or a fantasy world (like Tolkien's).

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        It's not really original if somebody else comes up with the idea.

Seriously though, by "fictional" do you mean set in a non-historical background, like LotR or Star Wars? There aren't a lot of original space scenarios afaik, they're mostly Babylon 5/SW/ST/whatever. Try an empire-building game like Vanilla Civ, only in an original outer-space setting.
        Ok, maybe not original, but a generalized topic that I can build off of to make original. Also, I am new to Apolyton, so I haven't downloaded many scenarios. Vanilla Civ was not one of them (really, I've only downloaded one, and I'm not sure it's on Apolyton), so I don't know what it's like. By empire-building, do you basically mean a Civ game with no special rules and no story line, just different improvements, units, advancements, and graphics?

Comment

You could always take a shot at the "Post Appocalyptic" genre.
          Please put Asher on your ignore list.
          Please do not quote Asher.
          He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Welcome to Poly!

The eclectic mob of rugged individualists who frequent the SL have developed some colorful local terminology not found in any dictionary of the Queen's english.
            "Vanilla" is an adjective used to describe anything to do with Civ2 that has not been modified and remains exactly as it is on your MGE, TOT or FW source CD . . . . vanilla Civ, units, rules, terrain, MGE, TOT etc., etc..

Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
              You could always take a shot at the "Post Appocalyptic" genre.
              Oh, yeah... Although those have been done multiple times, there is always a decent twist. I'll go with that!

Originally posted by AGRICOLA View Post
              Welcome to Poly!

The eclectic mob of rugged individualists who frequent the SL have developed some colorful local terminology not found in any dictionary of the Queen's english.
              "Vanilla" is an adjective used to describe anything to do with Civ2 that has not been modified and remains exactly as it is on your MGE, TOT or FW source CD . . . . vanilla Civ, units, rules, terrain, MGE, TOT etc., etc..

I am definitely vanilla flavored!

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA View Post
                That's different to the definition over at CFC: vanilla Civ2 = Civ2 2.42.
                Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

A space colonization game could be nice.

I had a project I never finished that was called "Bad Planet". Basically, human settlers on an alien planet with dangerous alien creatures and high-tech inhabitants that didn't like the encroachment.

At first the human settlers only had militia and a scout vehicle. Towards the end the idea was space-marine-like soldiers, walkers and high-tech tanks vs the aliens. At this point the dangerous wildlife would either have been exterminated or lowered to a nuisance.

The planet was made, and I had about 75% of the graphics I wanted. I had sketched a tech-tree...

... and the idea just died. Was two years ago.

Or you could go high-fantasy, set up some kingdoms, toy with some unit ideas. Perhaps even go Victorian-age steam tech and mix in magic. I do not know what appeals to you, to be honest. One could go out on a limb and make a scenario were every unit is a race car, super-boat or stunt-plane. A... "Stunt-man-Showdown" scenario. Just add guns and missiles to everything.

The options for Civ are almost.. endless.. almost.

Comment

A friend suggested a scenario about Football Holiganism in Britain
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD
                    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Aye, there are a number of Post Apoc scenarios.

Rebuilding the World After World War 3:

-Basically a large map with vanilla units, expect some have new graphics.
                      Also wonders have been moved around.(Eiffel Tower of St.Petersburg etc.)

Air War 3000

-This one is fun to play, I seem to recall tech tree is bad though, otherwise all around good scenario.

Earth 3000: A Time To Stand

-Not really an Apocalypse scenario.

Sagan:Earth 3000(fantasy)

-Eye wateringly bad graphics. Horribly chunky. Certainly not the best of Mr.Tembas work. A bit phsycadelic.

Before(????) World War 3:

- This one is absolute crap. Random map with vanilla units scattered around.

Earth3000 - JumpTroopervery fictional)

-Well made escenario. Everything editable seems to have been changed.

Could not find anymore on Civfanatics.com
                      And they have almost everything!

So yeah, I think Civ deserves a good post apocalypse scenario!
                      I guess some of these may have been okay back in the day, but the standard set by the SLeaguers through the years is just so much higher.

Comment

Ok. I will definitely make a post-apocalyptic scenario and a space colonization scenario sometime. I don't know which first, though. I should make my butt-ugly graphics better, first. Is there a guide to making better Civ graphics somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
                          A friend suggested a scenario about Football Holiganism in Britain
                          Though I doubt a scenario like his, would ever be made...it would be great to see a potential graphics set for it.
                          Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                          Please do not quote Asher.
                          He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Loads of little pixelated skinheads in Burberry and Stone Island clobber. Class! I can't really see a moral objection to this scenario as most of them involve mass slaughter. This would just involve some nastyness with Stanley knives. The tech tree would be interesting too, things like "Snooker ball in football sock" weapons tech. Like you though, I doubt such a scenario would ever see the light of day
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD
                            CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

NEDS

NEDS EVERYWHERE

Comment

Working...
                              X