Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Civil War (McMonkey vs Techumseh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found that against Consripts the HA more often than not won outright. Against Volunteers, Elite units and Cannons they occasionally won outright, often caused severe damage (50%+), sometimes caused minor damage and very occasionally had no visible effect (). If I was unable to afford Heavy Artillery I would have just cranked out way more Infantry. My assaults would have been much more costly in lives but I think that would have been somewhat balanced out by the small amount of Infantry that would have survived combat to become Veterans, unlike HA which were always destroyed. Veteran Infantry has a much better impact in a city assault than green troops.

All that said though, as I will be playing the Confederates in the next version a 50% increase in HA cost would be most welcome

I think the scenario played out in a fairly historical way with the Union launching some over ambitious early attacks only to be sent reeling by superior Confederate Generalship. After this the Union became more cautious and was willing to use its industrial advantage to build up vast manpower and fire-power superiority before embarking on an attack. In the end it was this vast build-up of Infantry and Heavy Artillery plus a few Generals, unleashed in one swift attack on Richmond that turned the tide of the war in the Unions favour. Once we had gained the initiative every effort was made to keep the blows coming and keep the Rebel defences off balance with outflanking manoeuvres. It took all my organizational skills to keep a flow of troops moving along a narrow corridor, flanked by Rebel holdout cities, pressing towards the final objectives. My victory was one of organizational and logistical skill over inspired Generalship.

Systematic replays to gain the best possible combat results would be cheating, but I'm sure most players would admit to the odd re-load after a slip of the finger sends a ship to the bottom of the sea or a unit off its intended course into a position where it will face certain death. There is really no way to tell if someone is replaying turns to get the best possible results, but at the end of the day they would only be cheating themselves as any victory would be hollow. I think an unending succession of outrageously lucky engagements would also rouse the suspicion of the other players. One only has to test the units out to get an idea of their combat potential and likely losses.
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

• Any chance this scenario will become available for anyone else to play?

Comment

• Originally posted by rikki84 View Post
        Any chance this scenario will become available for anyone else to play?
        Absolutely. Give me a couple of weeks to make the changes I have in mind, and I'll post the final version here.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Awesome, it looks great

Comment

• I applaud both your efforts. You both have gone above and beyond for this scenario, something not seen since Red Front was a new thing. As an American I also applaud your seriousness and detail while playing the scenario. Very good job guys!

This looks to be a very flushed out scenario and would also welcome a posting of the scenario in full.

Comment

• Thanks Harry. I had a great time playing this scenario. Coming home from work I would be hoping Techumseh's turn would be there waiting for me. I think the balance is almost spot on now, after a few more tweaks it will be perfection! Its a shame the AI isn't more capable as it would be great to have a single player version, alas I think the map it just too large for the AI to cope with I expect it would be possible to make a single player version for one side using events and non-symmetrical unit stats, but I doubt it would be as much fun as a two player battle.
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Thanks from me also, Harry. It was much fun, as Drew says. I hope that the scenario and the playing of it was respectful of the war that still helps shape your country, despite the occasional attempt at irony and humour.

Drew, I hate to tell you this, but I think the scenario is substantially weighted in favour of the north. Most of the changes I'm making for the final version will benefit the south. Union units will cost more, heavy artillery will cost lots more, southern research will be speeded up, and generic confederate generals will be created at the same rate as Union ones. On the other hand, 1/2+1/2 defensive positions will be reduced in number, and the defense factor of ironclads will be significantly increased.

As far as a single player game is concerned, I wouldn't consider the current map/scenario as a viable starting point. It should be a much smaller map, with the CSA as the protagonist, and the Union played by the AI, with (increasingly more) massive reinforcements created by events which eventually overwhelm the south.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Those changes sound good to me, especially as I've called first dibs on the Rebs next time I take it 1/2+1/2 defensive positions refers to rivers in hill squares? If you take away too many good defensive positions in the countryside you could force players into cities which would end up with the game being a series of sieges. I liked the fact that much of our game was fought out in the open, it made good use of the large map. The defensive positions allowed mobile operations far from friendly cities and also allowed a few defenders to hold up a larger force. Useful when trying to guard long borders!
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Mostly rivers in river terrain squares, actually. In a game where the most cost-effective attacker against defending infantry is infantry, small defensive bonuses count for far more than in scenarios where high-attack artillery and armour units are readily available. Rivers on river terrain give a combined defensive bonus of 225%, which are pretty solid defensive positions, especially if there are fewer heavy artillery units around.

Don't worry, I will keep most strategic defensive positions and may even add a couple (ie. Fredericksburg and Petersburg). Mostly I will be eliminating rivers running through cotton fields, and just using river terrain.

I'm also thinking of replacing the victory conditions with something more realistic and a bit more sophisticated. Instead of forcing play to continue to the end of 1865 (didn't happen), then counting objectives, I think the victory conditions should force the Union player to hit a set number of objectives by a certain time in order to win a decisive victory, a bit longer to win a marginal, and so on. If he fails to achieve this by the end of 1865, it's a decisive defeat.

Having checked my available event memory, I found I still have over 1/5 left (21kb), which is lots. So I should be able to create events which ends the game when the Union accomplishes it's requirements and automatically announces the level of victory. What do you think?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Sounds good to me. I did notice that a few cities and historically important towns were not on the map. I'm not an expert on the Civil War and perhaps some of the smaller towns were only notable due to a battle being fought there and don't merit a place or cannot be fitted in due to limited map space, but here they are:

Would you consider adding:
                      Birmingham, Alabama
                      Gettysburg
                      Biloxi
                      Baton Rouge
                      Natchez
                      Shiloh (perhaps too small)
                      Covington (to put something between Cairo and Memphis)
                      Hagerstown
                      Williamsport
                      Manassas Junction
                      Chancellorville
                      Charleston, Missouri
                      Columbus, Kentucky
                      Shreveport, Louisiana
                      Onancock

I would suggest dropping:
                      Schenectady
                      Saginaw
                      Kalamazoo
                      Sarnia and perhaps a few other British cities

The Shenandoah Valley!

I would also add rivers (the original type using keu's excellent CivRiver tool) to add some rapid movement capability up and down the Shenandoah Valley. Historically a lot of the action in the east took place there despite there being no continuous railroad along the valley. In the game I think it would be unlikely for the Confederates to launch an attack there as things stand. Even if they could mass a force and catch the Union off guard, by the time they had moved to the end of the Valley the Union will be able to bring in enough reinforcements to block them and will be able to reinforce much more easily than the Rebels with no RR links. A river running through the Valley would make a Rebel Campaign there a much more viable option! Looking at my maps the river could begin at Waynesboro (or square 180,90) where it would link with the Charlottrsville to Staunton RR line and then run through Harrisonburg and Winchester and end at Harper's Ferry. Although the north and south forks do not run directly through Harrisonburg or Winchester they are close enough on the scale of the map for this to be perfectly realistic.
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Great Scenario, Techumseh
                        Nothing is more painful than regret.
                        Don't contradict a woman - wait until she does herself

Comment

Working...
                        X