ToT "Taketechnology" Event Nuance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToT "Taketechnology" Event Nuance

OK, I have two questions about ToT event language. I've been checking out a few other ToT scenarios, like Curt's Dictator 6, and I noticed that there are a few new tricks beyond what we have in MGE.

1. The "Taketechnology" event. From what I've read in the forums this event can be used to take a technology from a civ. As techumseh has stated here the tech can be used to turn wonders on and off.

My question is: If I take a tech from a human civ, namely the tech called "Combustion" (which causes the Paratrooper Pop Up from Game.txt) can I then use "GiveTechnology" to re-gift the technology and have the the Paratrooper Pop Up reappear? Or, if that doesn't work, have the tech be researchable again, allowing the Paratrooper Pop Up to reappear?

My second question is: Using the same train of thought, can I use "Taketechnology" to remove the tech "Mobile Warfare" (which causes piracy to end and barracks to be sold) so that pirates will reappear in the game?

I don't really know. I suspect that there's a byte that's triggered in the save file by these 'one time' actions that prevent a recurrence of the related effect, so that the 'Golden Age of Philosophy' only happens when the first civ researches philosophy, for example. I doubt that the 'TakeTechnology' event resets it.

On the 'Mobile Warfare' question, I still don't know, but I suspect it would work.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

It's the Combined Arms tech that causes the Paratroopers pop-up.
      (or whichever tech is a prerequisite for the unit in the paratrooper slot or any unit with paratroop abilities?)

But according to some quick testing I did, none of those kinds of pop-ups appear when using events to gift technologies (regardless of whether it's re-gifting or not).

Researching, taking away and re-researching it using the Cheat menu makes the pop-up reappear. So I assume taking it by events and then having the human player discover it again will show the pop-up.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

There's no substitute for actually trying it.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
          It's the Combined Arms tech that causes the Paratroopers pop-up.
          (or whichever tech is a prerequisite for the unit in the paratrooper slot or any unit with paratroop abilities?)

But according to some quick testing I did, none of those kinds of pop-ups appear when using events to gift technologies (regardless of whether it's re-gifting or not).

Researching, taking away and re-researching it using the Cheat menu makes the pop-up reappear. So I assume taking it by events and then having the human player discover it again will show the pop-up.
          Hmmm, Combined Arms you say... My tech guide might be off. No biggee.

I'll have to test. I'd like it if I can make the pirate tech turn on and off dependent on the capture of a coastal city or two. The paratrooper message might be a bit more troublesome as it probably will need to be researched again.

It also would be nice if I could turn the barbarians on and off. I had the idea of using one tech level of barbs that would be made up of a bunch of bruisers. The next level would be made up of trade units. The tech for the trade unit barbs would be called something like "Regional dominance" and would depict a calming of the region due to some great battle occurring. Once a certain important city is lost the trade barbarian tech would be removed allowing for the bruisers to come back, depicting a loss of control in the region.

Ah well, I test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
            It also would be nice if I could turn the barbarians on and off. I had the idea of using one tech level of barbs that would be made up of a bunch of bruisers. The next level would be made up of trade units. The tech for the trade unit barbs would be called something like "Regional dominance" and would depict a calming of the region due to some great battle occurring. Once a certain important city is lost the trade barbarian tech would be removed allowing for the bruisers to come back, depicting a loss of control in the region.

Ah well, I test it out.
            Now that's planning, not to mention expert use of barbs. (If it works. ) HT, are you still working on Beach Assault, AEII, or a new, unnanounced ToT scen?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerec
              Now that's planning, not to mention expert use of barbs. (If it works. ) HT, are you still working on Beach Assault, AEII, or a new, unnanounced ToT scen?
              Well Beach Assault is more or less a finished scenario. I'm sure there is some more refining that I can do, but as of now I consider it done. AEII is one of those projects that would take a long while for me to plan. I might consider working on it again once I finish the current project I'm working on.

My current project is a serious attempt at making a ToT scenario, but I'm also using it to learn ToT due to its flexibility. If you've read my threads from the past year you can probably guess what it is. It's based on the Roman Republic, circa Second Punic War to Empire. I still have a few decisions to make on its ultimate direction, but as of now I'm working out the foundation. Core units are picked, cities placed, animated terrain added, tech tree is mostly planned out. Rules.txt has been updated for all current edits. I'm planning on full diplomacy and the use of barbs. Should be fun.

Comment

The best resources for this are at the Cradle of Civilization site, here: http://coc.apolyton.net/guides/index.shtml

The Barbarian Paper and the Test of Time Advanced Slot Properties article are both very relevant.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                  The best resources for this are at the Cradle of Civilization site, here: http://coc.apolyton.net/guides/index.shtml

The Barbarian Paper and the Test of Time Advanced Slot Properties article are both very relevant.
                  Oh I've been using both, don't worry. My whole tech tree and unit grid placement was designed around those two articles.

Comment

They're very good aren't they? We owe a lot to William Keenan and Cam Hills.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                      They're very good aren't they? We owe a lot to William Keenan and Cam Hills.
                      Yes we do. I wish I had the patience/time to test and catalog like they did.

Comment

Working...
                      X