No announcement yet.

Mapcopy Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say try not to fund cities on what was ocean on the landmass map.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
      I'd say try not to fund cities on what was ocean on the landmass map.
      I could do that, but a lot of cities were founded on the borders, at least historically.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
        This occurs where ocean was separating land on the landmasstest.sav import to ca_b40002.sav. The land tiles on ca_b40002.sav that are ocean tiles on landmasstest.sav all have "1" as the body counter, just as the open ocean has "1" on ca_b40002.sav. Are you saying that this OK, or are we just communicating poorly?
        I see what you mean. We were probably communicating poorly.

I have no idea what effect that boundary might have. But the counters for those boundary squares could perhaps be hex-edited. Unless you've been particularly enthusiastic splitting up continents, there should be few enough squares to make that doable.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

I see what you mean. We were probably communicating poorly.

I have no idea what effect that boundary might have. But the counters for those boundary squares could perhaps be hex-edited. Unless you've been particularly enthusiastic splitting up continents, there should be few enough squares to make that doable.
          Yeah... About those squares. There are a bit many. I guess I'll see what happens. If all else fails I can just think of something new and re-import.

Comment

Just move the borders to go around the city site... What are you using the different continents for? Because you'll probably want the cities to belong to one for stuff like caravan yields... Though maybe that way you can make those cities belong to neither continent...
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
              Just move the borders to go around the city site... What are you using the different continents for? Because you'll probably want the cities to belong to one for stuff like caravan yields... Though maybe that way you can make those cities belong to neither continent...
              In the scenario the cities won't be static and the player and AI will be able to build more. The continents should effect trade routes but also AI response to threats. What I'm worrying about is whether the AI will ignore the cities on the borders since the AI might think it's ocean terrain. I'll see how it works once I get ready to playtest.

Comment

Do you need borders? They can be hexed away. Could you just have one continent abut another?
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                  Do you need borders? They can be hexed away. Could you just have one continent abut another?
                  Do I need borders? No. Do I need separate body masses? Yes.

The way it works, at least how I got it to work, it that the tiles on each continent must be totally separated. No tile from one continent can touch, even diagonally, the tile of another continent.

There are like 10 different areas I portioned off so Hex editing the tiles would take weeks, and really is a lot of work just to get a landmass. We don't know what will happen with the land tiles numbered "one" yet, so let's just hold off on hexediting.

Comment

Yep, I agree with everything you say, except that hex-editing the tiles of the product of the MapCopy operation to eliminate "land mass 1" values on land squares will take weeks. Well maybe that is true, too. I think I could finish it in a few hours, but it'd take a few weeks to find that time. It's not that different from hexing I did for EAv2. If you're still jammed at the holidays, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                      Yep, I agree with everything you say, except that hex-editing the tiles of the product of the MapCopy operation to eliminate "land mass 1" values on land squares will take weeks. Well maybe that is true, too. I think I could finish it in a few hours, but it'd take a few weeks to find that time. It's not that different from hexing I did for EAv2. If you're still jammed at the holidays, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
                      I might take you up on that offer when the time comes

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                        There are like 10 different areas I portioned off so Hex editing the tiles would take weeks, and really is a lot of work just to get a landmass. We don't know what will happen with the land tiles numbered "one" yet, so let's just hold off on hexediting.
                        I've been down this path before. It took me a few hours to hex-edit the land mass indices of a large (30 000+ tiles) map. I didn't use the Map Editor/MapCopy combo at all because the complexity of my 'continents' meant more work using that method than hex-editing alone (there's a discussion somewhere over at CFC about it).

In my experience, AI land units don't get issued 'Go to' orders for locations with different land mass indices. I don't think there's any special rule for land masses with an index of 1, which means you'd be stuck with hex-editing if you want the AI's units to push towards your border cities. However, AI land units (flagged with 'No Orders') can wander into adjoining land masses - they just won't specifically target anything in them. The proximity of other cities (which may be owned or targeted by the AI) to those on the border tiles will have some bearing; AI units will attack tiles on different land masses if they're brought close enough.
                        Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Hi guys, I would like to enlarge an already existing map in a civ2-savegame. I.e. after the process all terrain improvements and cities should still be in the right place. Is that meanwhile possible in MGE Civ2?

Firstly, I’ve increased the size of my map via "MapEdit", which worked well.
                          Secondly, applied "MapCopy1.2" to get the existing map information (terrain improvements etc.) to the new one. But here I FAILED and got the message "Both maps must be the same size!"

Then I read the Readme from James Dustin Reichwein (sometimes helpful and found:

“Future Ideas

Below are ideas for future improvements to MapCopy, or for future Civ 2
                          related utilities. Let me know if you like these ideas.

Add the ability to specify a range of squares to copy between maps.
                          aka -sr1:1:20:20 -dr31:31:40:40 would copy squares ranging from 1,1
                          to 20,20 (in Civ2 coordinates) to the squares 31,31 to 40,40 on the
                          destination map.”

Now my question: Does anyone know if Dustin has finally added the ability to specify a range of squares to copy between maps? Or is one little program out of the dozens of fantastic utilities there - that could help to solve the problem? Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by sor View Post
                            Hi guys, I would like to enlarge an already existing map in a civ2-savegame. I.e. after the process all terrain improvements and cities should still be in the right place. Is that meanwhile possible in MGE Civ2?
                            Do you mean that you want to add more tiles to a map? Like turn a 30x30 map into a 30x60 map? MapCopy can't add tiles. It can only copy over and edit tiles. MapEdit from Mercator can increase the size of a map, but this won't preserve your cities and terrain improvements. MapEdit can only create maps from save files.

Firstly, I’ve increased the size of my map via "MapEdit", which worked well. Secondly, applied "MapCopy1.2" to get the existing map information (terrain improvements etc.) to the new one. But here I FAILED and got the message "Both maps must be the same size!"
                            Yep, the utility is correct. MapCopy can only transfer info from one map to another as long as they are sized exactly the same.

Then I read the Readme from James Dustin Reichwein (sometimes helpful and found:

“Future Ideas

Below are ideas for future improvements to MapCopy, or for future Civ 2
                            related utilities. Let me know if you like these ideas.

Add the ability to specify a range of squares to copy between maps.
                            aka -sr1:1:20:20 -dr31:31:40:40 would copy squares ranging from 1,1
                            to 20,20 (in Civ2 coordinates) to the squares 31,31 to 40,40 on the
                            destination map.”

Now my question: Does anyone know if Dustin has finally added the ability to specify a range of squares to copy between maps? Or is one little program out of the dozens of fantastic utilities there - that could help to solve the problem? Thanks!!
                            To my knowledge he has never come back and updated the utility to allow for this function. Sorry.

Comment

What a pity to hear that…
                              Actually, after searching threads for hours I have already expected something like this… but to make sure about it, I just wanted to ask some experts.

Thanks a lot and a happy New Year to the whole Civ-Community!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X