Mapcopy Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapcopy Help Needed

I'm trying to copy body counter numbers to a saved game. I've tried a number of combinations of the command line, but none seem to work. What's the specific command line I must use to just copy the body counter number?

What are the names of the map with the desired body numbers and the target savegame? And what combinations have you tried so far?

Have you looked at the table in the readme?
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
      What are the names of the map with the desired body numbers and the target savegame? And what combinations have you tried so far?

Have you looked at the table in the readme?
      Desired body numbers: LANDMASSTEST.SAV

Save game: ca_b40002.sav

I've tried:

mapcopy LANDMASSTEST.SAV ca_b40002.sav -s -t +bc -backup -verb

mapcopy LANDMASSTEST.SAV ca_b40002.sav

mapcopy LANDMASS.map ca_b40002.sav

and a bunch of other variations.

When I open the target saved game the body counters are the same. Should they be different or is this something I won't see? Am I entering the wrong command?

Thanks for the help Merc.

Comment

How come the body numbers come from a savegame and not a map? You're sure the body numbers are the way you want them to turn out in that "landmasstest.sav", right?

All those commands look like they should work.

Where are you running those commands from? The Start Menu's "Run..." or from the command prompt?
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

How come the body numbers come from a savegame and not a map? You're sure the body numbers are the way you want them to turn out in that "landmasstest.sav", right?
          Yes, the landmasstest.sav and landmass.mp files are essentially the same. The save is just a new game created on the map so I could check that the game broke up the body numbers. I can post all the files if you want.

All those commands look like they should work.
          So should the save I am importing to have new body numbers?

Where are you running those commands from? The Start Menu's "Run..." or from the command prompt?
          Command prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
            Yes, the landmasstest.sav and landmass.mp files are essentially the same. The save is just a new game created on the map so I could check that the game broke up the body numbers.
            Ah ok...

I can post all the files if you want.

Yes please. Just the landmass map and target save will do.

So should the save I am importing to have new body numbers?

Well, yes. Otherwise importing body numbers wouldn't actually import any body numbers.

Command prompt.

Does mapcopy say anything when you've executed it?

Comment

Here's the message I get with the landmass.mp file

E:\Civ Files\Mapcopy>mapcopy LANDMASS.MP ca_b40002.SAV -s -t +bc -backup
              Loading File: LANDMASS.MP
              X Dimension is: 264
              Y Dimension is: 245
              Map Area is: 32340
              Flat Earth is: 1
              Map Seed is: 8
              locator x dim is: 66
              locator y dim is: 62
              Loaded start positions.
              Read terrain map
              Loading File: cab40002.SAV
              X Dimension is: 0
              Y Dimension is: 0
              Map Area is: 0
              Flat Earth is: 0
              Map Seed is: 0
              locator x dim is: 0
              locator y dim is: 0
              Read civ view map.
              Read terrain map
              Both maps must be the same size!
              Type "mapcopy /?" or see the readme.txt file for help.
              I guess since it gave said "Both maps must be the same size!" that it didn't actually try to import.

Now here's the message with the landmasstest.sav file.

E:\Civ Files\Mapcopy>mapcopy LANDMASSTEST.SAV cab40002.SAV -s -t +bc -backup
              Loading File: LANDMASSTEST.SAV
              Read civ view map.
              Read terrain map
              Loading File: ca_b40002.SAV
              Read civ view map.
              Read terrain map
              Wrote header
              Wrote civ_view_map
              Wrote terrain map
              Attached are the three files. What I meant by the comment "Should the numbers change?" is that in previous uses of mapcopy I was working with fertility, which of course didn't appear to change anything until the save was played. My fault.
              Attached Files

Comment

You know what, I'm an idiot. The save is for ToT. Mapcopy doesn't support ToT. Crap.

Comment

Does that mean you're stuck with hex-editing to change water back to land in LANDMASS.SAV?

If so, then maybe I could help, but sadly not until December. It looks like a few hundred squares need hexing.
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                    Does that mean you're stuck with hex-editing to change water back to land in LANDMASS.SAV?

If so, then maybe I could help, but sadly not until December. It looks like a few hundred squares need hexing.
                    No, don't worry about it. Landmass.sav was just a template anyways.

I can just convert my ca_b40002.sav back to a map using Mapedit, create a save in MGE using said map, use Mapcopy to change the body numbers, port the game to ToT, and then get it right. Pain in the ass, but then again I'm being a perfectionist on this one.

Comment

Mapcopy doesn't support ToT.
                      Yes it does. Try downloading the latest version from Dusty's site. He included ToT support in an update in 2005.
                      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish

Yes it does. Try downloading the latest version from Dusty's site. He included ToT support in an update in 2005.

Well thank god for you. Thanks a bunch. I was using 1.1 for some reason. I thought I got the latest off of Mercator's website but I guess not. Crisis averted.

Comment

Hmmmm, I've been reading up on the body counter. Looks like it might not be as simple as I thought. I have a feeling that cities located on terrain that has been assigned a body counter of 1 (same as the ocean) might have a problem.

Ah well, at least it's good to know I can change it if need be.

Comment

I have a feeling that cities located on terrain that has been assigned a body counter of 1 (same as the ocean) might have a problem.
                            No. Ocean and land have separate body counters. Both sea and land bodies start counting at 1 and continue on to 63.

Oh, and my site definitely also has the latest version, so I guess you just forgot to upgrade altogether since the update.

Comment

No. Ocean and land have separate body counters. Both sea and land bodies start counting at 1 and continue on to 63.
                              This occurs where ocean was separating land on the landmasstest.sav import to ca_b40002.sav. The land tiles on ca_b40002.sav that are ocean tiles on landmasstest.sav all have "1" as the body counter, just as the open ocean has "1" on ca_b40002.sav. Are you saying that this OK, or are we just communicating poorly?

Comment

Working...
                              X