Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Does The Community Have To Wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Does The Community Have To Wait?

ID Software released the source code for the world-famous DOOM back in 1997, and since then the enhancements to the original game have been immense with source ports such as Legacy and Zdoom offering a multitude of new features to the game, and as a result allowing the Doom community to thrive. John Carmack proved that he did indeed believe the concept of a gaming community, and as a result Doom and Quake modification to this day remains highly popular.

Sid Meier on the other hand is an arse hole - here is a man who with the release of Civ3 forced his community to purchase additional add ons in order to make scenarios (which we all took for granted with Civ2), while at the same time in numerous interviews championing the fact that he "loves" the fact that his community does so much work towards the benefit of the game with modpacks and Scenarios - but you can only do so much without the ability to actually change the mechanism of the game engine.

Isn't it about time he just GAVE us the Civ2 source code without the need for a petition? How much longer does he intend to smother his own community? Why can't the man do the honest thing and simply release the source code (like beloved John Carmack), so that the community he proffesses to love may take his work on to new heights?

As I see it he simply uses his community; he looks upon us as a Marketing stradegy that allows him to improve the rules of each game, and improve the balance of the next. Fair enough, but I don't like the idea that we are held in such contempt that we are forced to buy additional addons to make scenarios, or the simple ability to set diplomacy amongst the different civilizations. Contempt is all they have for us, and being the creator of an amazing game is not an excuse as far as I'm concerned.

By right we should by now be able to have 24 different Civilizations occupying a Giga Map... I suppose he'll hide behind some vague and long-winded excuse, such as the rights being owned by some other company, and that it is no longer within his power...

I'm losing my patience - I WANT 24 CIVILIZATIONS ON A GIGAMAP!
    "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
    -Kaiser Willhem II

Oh dear. Somebody not getting their oats?

It would be good to get the source code while there are still people involved with CivII with the know-how to do something with it. I wouldn't hold your breath though!

At the end of the day I think we have all got our money's worth out of CivII over the last decade or so. I can't comment on Civ 3 or 4. I think of all the games I payed £20-30 for and got sick of them within a month!

Calling Sid an A-hole seems quite harsh. I expect whichever company owns the rights has control over the code and they probably don't give a **** about a few die hard fans!

Its good to dream though
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Indeed.

While I share the frustration at the legal mumbo-jumbo of why the source code is unavailable;

This isn't Sid's fault.

He is a game designer, the source code is a product that was made by programmer androids.
      The actual code is the property of goodness knows who, and that is one of the main hassles.

Getting in contact with however owns the code, getting them to release the code,
      and finally getting some wizards to manipulate the code, all are hurdles to jump.

I accepted the fact that it was going to be a long wait many moons ago.
      And as McMonkey stated, we have (and continue to) have loads of fun with CIV2.

I have tried CIV3 and CIV4, and after a short time was back playing with CIV2.

That is where I belong, source code or not...!

PS
      But it would be awesome to have 24 civs! (damn!)

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

24 is not enough

I'd like to be able to change the effects of improvements and technologies. Well, I have no idea about how to do it, so I'd have to ask somene, but still it would be great to play with that.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

Re: How Long Does The Community Have To Wait?

Originally posted by Willhelm II
          ID Software released the source code for the world-famous DOOM back in 1997 (...)
          And how many other games can you think of that had their source code released? I can only think of CtP2. That's two out of hundreds.

Sid Meier on the other hand is an arse hole (...)
          Sid wasn't even the lead developer. Brian Reynolds was.

Isn't it about time he just GAVE us the Civ2 source code without the need for a petition?
          They don't owe you ****. They gave Civ1, 2, 3 and 4 to the community. And there was plenty of interaction with the community. Remember the Civ3 list? ApolyCon? There are quite a few Apolyton members who actually work for/with Firaxis thanks to their interaction with the community.

Whining about it certainly isn't going to help anyone. They've got better things to do like, say, develop Civ5 or something. If you want the Civ2 source code, you're going to have to work for it. So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and start sending out letters and e-mails and making phone calls to try and get the source code? But that's too much effort, isn't it? Calling someone an "arse hole" on a web forum is a lot easier.

By right we should by now be able to have 24 different Civilizations occupying a Giga Map... I suppose he'll hide behind some vague and long-winded excuse, such as the rights being owned by some other company, and that it is no longer within his power...
          God, you're full of yourself. Get over it or get busy.

And you'd better make sure you know C++ as well if Civ2 ever gets released. Or will you start bothering the open source development team because they're not working fast enough or not implementing everything the way you want? Even if the source code gets released it'll take a few years before any significant progress is made.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

While we all have passionate opinions, I have to state that we should keep it civil and
            not hurl stuff at the guy who gave us CIV in the first place...Or at each other, either.

Sid is an all-round good chap. He does not deserve castigation for the lack of source code.

Frustrating, though the lack of progress may be, I would still love CIV forever without it.
            As Merc points out, an email or letter campaign might be in order...Who wants to step up?

Comment

I woud certainly have the enthusiam, but I am not sure I really understand what it is I am asking for! Just sending out e-mails saying "Give us the source code or I murder your hamster" could land me in hot water!

I think we would need to be lead by someone with an understanding of what the source code is (IE not me!). Who was leading the search before?

Also I would have no idea who to contact. How far did the petition get before? Did they get any leads as to who may own it or if it still exists?

If there is anything I can do to help I am more than happy to do the donkey work, just nothing technical!
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
              SL INFORMATION THREAD
              CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

I think a read-through of the current Source Code thread (in the great library directory) will bring us up to speed.

Not sure where the current code-ownership detective work is at, either...I'll have to check.

Comment

Re: Re: How Long Does The Community Have To Wait?

Originally posted by Mercator

And how many other games can you think of that had their source code released? I can only think of CtP2. That's two out of hundreds.

Sid wasn't even the lead developer. Brian Reynolds was.

They don't owe you ****. They gave Civ1, 2, 3 and 4 to the community. And there was plenty of interaction with the community. Remember the Civ3 list? ApolyCon? There are quite a few Apolyton members who actually work for/with Firaxis thanks to their interaction with the community.

Whining about it certainly isn't going to help anyone. They've got better things to do like, say, develop Civ5 or something. If you want the Civ2 source code, you're going to have to work for it. So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and start sending out letters and e-mails and making phone calls to try and get the source code? But that's too much effort, isn't it? Calling someone an "arse hole" on a web forum is a lot easier.

God, you're full of yourself. Get over it or get busy.

And you'd better make sure you know C++ as well if Civ2 ever gets released. Or will you start bothering the open source development team because they're not working fast enough or not implementing everything the way you want? Even if the source code gets released it'll take a few years before any significant progress is made.
                  And you are who again?
                  "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
                  -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

Sigh. Freeciv offers all the extras in the same basic design as Civ2. Go play it. These ***** fests are boring rehashes that drain the energy out of the forum. Enough is enough.

Comment

Pax vobiscum and amen.
                      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

As Harry says, FreeCiv could very well be the future, if we try it.

Comment

Harry, did you ever port Romamini to Freeciv?
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
                            Harry, did you ever port Romamini to Freeciv?
                            No, the event language wasn't ready when I was into the scenario. I think they have a working model now, but I just don't have the time to get to know it.

I think that if scenarios are to be made in Freeciv it would be a smart idea to write an "everyman" manual. It would save some time for the community.

Plus a scenario editor would be great and possibly very powerful. Freeciv's save file structure incorporates almost all of the text files that a Civ scenario would, plus it can be edited in Wordpad. Even unit and city placement on the map is contained in the file.

Comment

I think I may have to investigate FreeCiv soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X