Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designer seeking compatible playtesters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sounds do not work for some very odd reason?

The rules section seems to match the file names....

Anyone else getting this?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have you marked your sound folder- Sound? I sometimes add an 's' and remain baffled for hours.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

This magnum opus cries out for a brief historical outline.

Who exactly is Fredddy fighting? By trial and error, I've discovered that the Brits and the Poles are Freddy's pals at the start. From this thread, it appears that the Austrians and the Imperials (HRE) are definitely hostile, as are the Swedes. I don't have a clue as to why they are at each other's throats.

The readme says
        "11. I included an engineer unit, but it's not enabled as I didn't see any need for it."

I see a lot of use for it, much for the same reasons as already stated by Palaiologos.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
          This magnum opus cries out for a brief historical outline.

Who exactly is Fredddy fighting? By trial and error, I've discovered that the Brits and the Poles are Freddy's pals at the start. From this thread, it appears that the Austrians and the Imperials (HRE) are definitely hostile, as are the Swedes. I don't have a clue as to why they are at each other's throats.
          Austria had lost the province of Silesia to Prussia in the War of the Austrian Succession in the 1740's. Austria put together a grand coalition to get it back: Russia, Sweden, France and the minor states of the Holy Roman Empire (Bavaria and Saxony and some others).

Prussia, desperate for allies, signed a treaty with Britain, which owned Hanover. Britain used Hanover as bait for the French while they went around picking off French colonies in Canada, India and the Caribbean. The British subsidised the Prussian army, while Prussia provided a good general for Britain's army in Hanover.

Frederick didn't wait to be attacked, but invaded Saxony. The Elector of Saxony also happened to be the King of Poland. Poland didn't want to fight the Prussians, no matter what its elected King said, but it did let the Russians march through it's territory to get at them.

Frederick fought an increasingly desperate war for 7 years against all the major land powers of Europe. Just when he was about to be finally crushed, his enemy the Tsarina Elisabeth died. Her heir, Tsar Paul was a fan of Freddy and switched sides. Since this was one of a number of stupid moves on his part, Paul was removed by the movers and shakers in the Kremlin and replaced with his wife, who became Catherine the Great. She withdrew from the war.

About the same time, Britain had aquired all the colonies it wanted for the moment, so it cut off Prussia's allowance and made peace with France. France decided it had had enough and also made peace with Prussia. Austria didn't want to carry on alone, so it also made peace. Prussia didn't get anything out of the war, except staying in one piece. That's it!

The readme says
          "11. I included an engineer unit, but it's not enabled as I didn't see any need for it."

I see a lot of use for it, much for the same reasons as already stated by Palaiologos.
          I'm sure you do. No.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Just to elaborate on the engineer. There was very little in the way of road destruction/reconstruction in this war, so the use as described by Palaiologos would be ahistorical. And it just makes the scenario easier for the human player, which I don't want.

Also, I discovered the endgame event doesn't work if you set the endscreens to off. Please reset them to on. It's the last 2 events in the file.

@THEN
            EndGame
            endscreens=On

Thanks.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
              Have you marked your sound folder- Sound? I sometimes add an 's' and remain baffled for hours.
              Of course.

The 'movepiece' sound I added to the folder works, but your sounds do not.

Are they in the right format?

Comment

Absolutely. They work fine on my computer. That's very odd.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

For some even odder reason, they work now!
                  Enjoying the glorious sounds of WAR!

Each turn is like a symphony!

PS
                  I assume you will offer some mission goals in the readme,
                  if you low on events space, because it would be nice to
                  know what options are there for the Prussians...

Defence is fun, but I want some cities!

Comment

It only gets worse, mate. The best way to take cities is to lose some first!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

The readme says

I'm sure you do. No.
                      Old habits die slowly. What worked in 1944 also works in 1756.

Thanks for the historical background. It explains why Russia, France and Britain participated in what appears to be a rumble between Austria and Prussia. Knowing that background, I would have played the scen somewhat differently than I have.

The playtest is going reasonably well for Prussia. But the sticky stuff sure hit the fan in May, 1757 and I got as big a surprise as I have had in Civ. (Eventually, the thing turned out pretty well as the Austrians lost over a third of their April reinforcements in trying to recapture Olmutz).

Anyway, the Prussians took Olmutz in April, 1757, thus completing their Magdeburg - Torgau - Konigsgratz - Olmutz defensive line against the Austrians. Everything looked good, especially as reinforcements were due in May. The following picture and the OPSUM excerpt tell the story.

tech, you did it to me again!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Agricola after you research British subsides be sure to sell every research improvement there is(the tech research stops after that). You'll need the money. In my game I sold off almost all of the improvements in every city apart from city walls and the temples. Be sure to send some Hussars deep into Austrian territory and pillage roads. When a city is about to fall withdraw your heavily injured but precious troops to the nearest fort-city, (pillaging every road on the way). Don't let them go down i a blaze of glory as in most scenarios.
                        Always have artys in a city to sally out and destroy their generals and artillery. No matter what, don't let Torgau fall. If you do the Austrian AI will send all its forces through Torgau straight to Berlin ignoring all other cities.

Just thought of contributing some tips.
                        "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                        Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Thanks for the tips but I'm already on your wavelength on every point except sending units deep to pillage roads. I'm going to want them myself.

For example, from the OPSUM:

Turn1 - Jul 1756
                          Sold 3 Harbors for 180 gold.

Turn 2 - Aug 1756
                          Sold 11 Granaries for 660 gold. This is a no-growth scen.

Turn 4 - Oct 1756
                          Discovered British Subsidy.
                          Sold all Universities for 320 gold, all Libraries for 640 gold, and all Courthouses for 1120 gold.

You play a mean game!

Comment

@ techumseh
                            Check events for an impossible coordinate, [50,43]. Should probably be [50,48].

Judging by the Wikipedia and other sources, the correct spelling for Nuremburg is Nuremberg.
                            Last edited by AGRICOLA; April 18, 2007, 06:10.

Comment

wahts an OPSUM?
                              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Sorry, that's my abbreviation for Operational Summary.

It's a turn by turn, moderately detailed outline of what happened during a playtest. I really cannot remember everything significant that takes place during play unless I write it down, such as when city improvements were sold, how many and for how much.

Hopefully, designers can see what I did and, if they don't like it, make changes to prevent it.

Comment

Working...
                                X