No announcement yet.

Operation: Downfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a few ideas for this while I await my further EotRS playtest results (are you still doing this, AGRICOLA? You didn't respond to my last PM or e-mail. I plan to make a change to the events.txt files shortly to use Beachead terrain in the US home cities capture spawning. Given that and the WoW in Balikpapen in the new .scn file, you may or may not want to start again. I don't know). My ideas were thus:
    1)I would like to ask Boco for permission to use his OOB map idea, as, given Olympic and Coronet were reasonably far apart, and US forces were planned to be held in reserve, it could be a great tool.
    2)I plan to have the idea of the US human player facing essentially an 'armed nation,' where every able-bodied male over 13 is given a gun, bomb, grenade, pitchfork, or knife and marched at the Yanks. I also like the diet of seaweed idea.
    3)Tokyo will likely be several nearby cities with high-defense terrain under, between, and around them, to represent the mire this urban region likely would have become (kind of like Baghdad today).
    4)Capturing the Imperial Family will have some sort of benefit (I'm just not sure what yet).
    Any comments or ideas?

Comment

1) No problem. My patent application was rejected. Should you be inclined to send money, please contact my agent Miss Natacha Allou.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

@Boco: Sorry, just noticed this now; it dropped pretty quickly. Thanks for the permission; my regrets on your patton troubles. I'm sure Miss Allou will deliver the cheque promptly; if not, it's probably in some Cote D'Ivoire bureaucrat's backpocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
          2)I plan to have the idea of the US human player facing essentially an 'armed nation,' where every able-bodied male over 13 is given a gun, bomb, grenade, pitchfork, or knife and marched at the Yanks. I also like the diet of seaweed idea.
          While the Japanese may have been willing to fight, you need to remember that the country was facing total economic ruin and mass-starvation by August 1945. Operation Olympic would have faced tough resistance from Japanese forces already based in the region, but if the US forces had suceeded then the Japanese wouldn't have been able to scrape much together to face Operation Coronet in 1946.

3)Tokyo will likely be several nearby cities with high-defense terrain under, between, and around them, to represent the mire this urban region likely would have become (kind of like Baghdad today).
          There wasn't much left of Tokyo after the night of 9-10 March 1945 when US B-29s destroyed most of the city, killing 72,489 people (more than were killed in either of the atomic attacks): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing...n_World_War_II

4)Capturing the Imperial Family will have some sort of benefit (I'm just not sure what yet).
          Any comments or ideas?
          It seems pretty safe that the Japanese wouldn't have allowed the Royals to be captured.
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Granted the building materials in Japan differed from Europe, but I imagine that even a bomb-devastated Japanese city would have been a warren for determined defenders. If that holds parallel to Stalingrad, it would justify a high df multiplier. Arrows and shields are another matter.

A key here would be war weariness on the part of the Allies. High Allied casualties should have an effect on happiness, production, or both.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
            X