No announcement yet.

The Vietnam War development thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have tried that event out and it works perfectly, no more stroppy ARVN allies or pacifist US governments

I am still a bit gutted about having to repeat the last weeks worth of work, especially as I intended to e-mail a copy to Von Bert just before it crashed, I just wanted to do a few extra bits, silly me. The lesson is always back up your work!!!

Von Bert, I have sent you a PM about the above. If you could help me out that would be superdooper
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

• Originally posted by battosai
      @IF
      NEGOTIATION
      talker=ANYBODY
      talkertype=HumanOrComputer
      listener=ANYBODY
      listenertype=HumanOrComputer
      @THEN
      @ENDIF
      Actually, it's better to replace "ANYBODY" with each Civ involved. You should still be OK with space in events.txt using ToT.
      "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
      -OOTS

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Daumen
        Actually, it's better to replace "ANYBODY" with each Civ involved. You should still be OK with space in events.txt using ToT.
        Are you sure?

I was convinced (and what I saw in my scens seemed to prove it) that the ANYBODY, while not working for Unitkilled, was perfectly alright for negociations??
        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrion
          Are you sure?

I was convinced (and what I saw in my scens seemed to prove it) that the ANYBODY, while not working for Unitkilled, was perfectly alright for negociations??
          It seems to be the standard for most events files. That's the way I always did it.
          "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
          -OOTS

Comment

• The Anybody bug doesn't exist in ToT. It should work.
            Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

• Um . . . . .

Anybody bug?

Fill me in.
              Lost in America.
              "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
              "or a very good liar." --Stefu
              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

• From Gothmog's SL article on events:

• The Anybody parameter

It doesn't work properly - it WILL work the first time, but the second time Anybody becomes whoever triggered the event the first time. So the event won't occur if another Civ triggers it, but will occur if the first Civ to trigger it does. If you have a recurring event that can be triggered by different Civs, don't use the Anybody parameter, but code a trigger for each Civ separately. If it's a one time event, you can get away with using Anybody.
                Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

• IIRC, "Crises of the New World Order" actually exploited this bug, you were advised to let the rival civs attack the respawning barbs first (simulating wars by proxy) and then you would step in and mop up with no respawning barbs for you. Or you could be duped into attacking a specific barb militia first and have Iraq in your hands. Again & again. & again.
                  (Sounds like an old tune, doesn't it?)
                  "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                  -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                  "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                  "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• Uh Oh!

My scenario seems to be a bit screw*d

When I try to edit technologies it freezes and will not respond...gulp!

Could somone take a look at it to see if it is my copy of ToT that is wrong or something with the scenario. If anyone can help I will e-mail you the file.

I really don't want to have to start from scratch on this project!!!
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Don't fret.
                      Look for that command line utility that checks for loops and mistakes in the rules file. I got mine from this thread somewhere. You probably missed a comma or sth.
                      That will do it.
                      "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                      -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                      "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                      "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• Hi werd,
                        you mean the copy i did sent back does not work ?
                        Im sorry , i dont think i edited the rules files... maybe is just a little error as Tanelorn say.. dont give up..

Comment

• Thanks Guys

I just had a frustrating day yesterday, I meant to get a lot done but nothing seemed to work properly. Maybe I will have better luck today.

If anyone knows where I can find that command line utility then please let me know. I will have a check through any changes I made to the rules file, especially the techs. The rest of the game is fine so I don't think it is a problem with the file you sent back VB!

At the moment I have taken too much on I think so I am reorganizing and setting some more realistic goals.

1. Fix Vietnam Scenario (I have restored all work up to crash anyway!)
                          2. Make progress on Map of Japan (going well)
                          3. Get CivConvertor working so I can organize my files properly and clear the junk from the external harddrive.

When I write it down like that it does not sound so bad
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Here's the thread with the technology tree checker utility (Civ2tech):

Look for my posts in it (#16 and #27 in particular).

Edit: Added a link to it (and CivEngineer) in my signature as well, since they're pretty hard to find.
                            Last edited by Mercator; March 12, 2007, 13:37.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• Dunno..as I can't see into the rules. But I hope you have a continious line from nil to future tech ? Otherwise the tree won't work. (I've just read that yeasterday in a workshops and now want to **** my wisdom out somewhere :P ).

Comment

• I think I have sorted out the problem but I will not know for sure until wednesday evening. I think the problems were a corrupt floppy disc that I use to transport the rules back and forth to work (where a good copy is...I hope) and my disorganized computer. Afther the crash it is still chaos.
                                What seems to have happened is that I was looking at a shortcut folder rather than the one on the C: drive which somehow has a rules file with the original tech tree on it?!? My fault for not checking. I will reorganize and back up all my files tonight and sort this out properly on wednesday.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think all my problems are solved now or are they?
                                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X