The Sea Kings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sea Kings!

Hi. Its been sooo long since I posted on these forums. Anyone remember me?

After several years as something of a gypsy I've recently sent down enough roots that I thought it safe to build a new computer. Since then I've been playing some of newer scenarios out there and I'm completely blown away! Things have really come along way in the last few years. Civilization 2 scenario creation is having a golden age right now and I feel empowered to try to realize my lifelong ambition to make a scenario for civ 2.

This is my work in progress: The Sea Kings

A scenario of trade and piracy set on the wine colored sea of the late bronze age Mediterranean. On a home-cooked giga map(mostly done), the scenario will start after the supposed eruption of Thera circa 1450B.C. and run to the end of the millennium.

The central players will be:

-1 Achaean Confederation: Sackers-of-cities, opportunistic merchants and buccaneers with out equal.

-2 He-ku-ptah(Egypt): Ancient people of the the black land, the beloved of ptah's extensive agriculture supports a huge population and an aggressive militaristic theocracy.

-3 Hatti: Capable diplomats, the Hittite Empire survived the cold steppe of central Anatolia, surrounded by vicious hill tribes and belligerent kings, and grew to be masters of on the the ancient world's greatest empires. Consummate statesmen and master charioteers the Hittites are a people to be reckoned with.

-4 Amurru: Miserly counting their hoarded shekels the shrewd Canaanite traders find themselves sandwiched between the ever growing Egyptian and Hittite colossi. Will they stubbornly protect their lands and trade routes against all transgressors, or will they be forced to choose sides?

-5 Sherdan Sea Peoples: Children of PO-SE-DA-WO-NE, a mottly collection of pirates, mercenaries, and transients; the peoples of the sea were partially responsible for the destruction of the of the great empires of bronze age and the ushering in of the new and miserable age of iron. Their name was whispered in fear first in the sailors dives and fishermen's jetties and later by the great kings and heads of state of the bronze age.

The Libyan tribes:ancient enemies of the pharaohs, come out of the dune seas of the Sahara from their desert citadels and shimmering hidden oasises that no outsider will ever see; crossing the scorched red sands to spread a message of fear to the the sedentary children of ptah.

-6 Arzawa: Hidden away in relatively remote part of western Anatolia the Luwian kingdom of Arzawa was nonetheless and important link between east and west. A member of the Assuwa league they are safe from the baleful gaze of the powerful northern Kashka tribes.

-7 Minor Achaean&Danaan states (tentative): Finding no place for themselves amongst the crowded mainland palace states, these second sons and exiled princes of the bronze-clad Achaeans are eager to compete for the old Keiftu trade routes.

Featuring:

Interesting advantages and liabilities for each player civ, lending themselves to their own particular styles of play.

Deeply researched late Bronze Age atmosphere

Changing military and economic technologies will over time radically change the dynamic of the game. Be prepared.

Pretenders to the throne! If the Great King died whilst away on campaign, a war of succession was usually the result. While not always catastrophic, civil wars will arrest the development of your civilization until you can find a legitimate heir to the throne.

The bronze age sackers-of-cities fought wars not for land or political power, but for booty, pretty slave girls and cattle; the sources of honor! Raiding barbarian villages is critical to fueling the growth of your embryonic empire, but beware, each act of brigandage may hold consequences for the future.

Here are a few tentative screen shots

:
    Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
    Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Very interesting scenario topic. I love it.

Comment

I second that

Welcome back and good luck with this. Ooh, and I see it's ToT too
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

This one looks like a winner: bronze to iron age transition, Trojan and sundry other neverending wars, many of the wonders of the ancient world, great looking terrain and units.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Re: The Sea Kings!

Originally posted by EZRhino
          Changing military and economic technologies will over time radically change the dynamic of the game. Be prepared.

Pretenders to the throne! If the Great King died whilst away on campaign, a war of succession was usually the result. While not always catastrophic, civil wars will arrest the development of your civilization until you can find a legitimate heir to the throne.
          :
          You've hooked us! Can't wait...
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

It looks very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I'll join the chorus: this sounds very interesting!

Is this for MPGE or ToT?

If you need help, with the events file for instance, just ask!
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Thanks everybody. Cyrion, I'm sure I'll take you up on it The scenario will be for test of time, the events language seems to be much more versatile.
                Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
                Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

I am liking the looks of this...Always love playing ancient-era scenarios!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've finished the map
                    Q: Is it possible to hex edit, or in some other arcane fashion hack special resource squares into existence? Or is there just the seed?
                    I want the mountains of Cyprus to have more copper, but I like my current seed. Can anybody help me?
                    Sea Kings TOT

Comment

That's a major step forward!

Sadly, you can only hex resources on or off within the pattern. No spare terrain types to devote to this?
                      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by EZRhino
                        I've finished the map
                        Q: Is it possible to hex edit, or in some other arcane fashion hack special resource squares into existence? Or is there just the seed?
                        I want the mountains of Cyprus to have more copper, but I like my current seed. Can anybody help me?
                        I love this scenario already. The premise sets the scene perfectly. Can't wait to see it.
                        Re: Copper
                        It may be too late now if you have finished the map but one idea for extra copper would be to take an unused terrain type (glacier?) and give it the mountain/hill + copper graphic and change its stats to a high shield production. You can then choose where to place this precious commodity! The only problem could be lack of available terrain squares as the screenshots show there are a lot of different ones already! Just a thought.
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD
                        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

We just need to get Skyer to change the equation that calculates the pattern. Change it to so that all squares are special resources. Then, hex away or use Mercator's utility.
                          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Thanks
                            Sadly I'm unwilling to sacrifice any of the other terrains for a "special resource" terrain

Originally posted by Boco you can only hex resources on or off within the pattern.
                            What do you mean by this exactly? Within the pattern?
                            Sea Kings TOT

Comment

I've found an alternate solution to my dilemma. Mostly done placing cities. Conceptualizing the tech tree. Working on Special terrain icons
                              Sea Kings TOT

Comment

Working...
                              X