No announcement yet.

All Civ2 links you'll ever need!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A War of the Ring scenario for ToT. That's something I'd love to see.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

@Mercator
      Yes, I'm playing MGE at Deity level and, yes, the AI does indeed tend to be active.

Yes, I did read the readme and there are parts that I couldn't figure out, such as repeated references to the scen covering 10 years. At a month per turn, the 43 turns cover less than 4 years, unless that is another problem caused by my using MGE.

@techumseh
      I'm afraid that would completely alter the strategy that players would use and negate much of what Harlan has designed.
      Last edited by AGRICOLA; February 7, 2006, 06:22.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
        Yes, I did read the readme and there are parts that I couldn't figure out, such as repeated references to the scen covering 10 years. At a month per turn, the 43 turns cover less than 4 years, unless that is another problem caused by my using MGE.
        You missed the part about the objectives, though. And you stubbornly started on Deity anyway, even though he recommended Emperor.

Yes, he does mention ten years. That must've been a typo, because the scenario should only last 4. And Isengard and Mordor were subdued in that time too, because the scenario continues until a while after the book ends.

You're right though. The monthly turns make the whole thing rather tight, to say the least. If it was done according to the book, Frodo would stay in Hobbiton for the first 6 months, and then 7 months later the Ring would be destroyed. And that's going the long way too, via Rivendell, Moria, Lorien and the Dead Marshes, rather than the road Harlan guides you to, over Isengard and Minas Tirith. And I don't think even that road gets you there in 13 turns.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

1. I was confused by the fact that a ship unit could move on the same terrain as a city be placed. But then that's probably ocean terrain and the terrain under the city was changed to ocean after its founding.

2. The War of the Ring scenario for FW was well-aranged, yet I found it un-playable. Maybe te fellowship should be a different Civ from the Gondorian one, who could be your ally. Would make things easier.

Comment

And you stubbornly started on Deity anyway, even though he recommended Emperor.
            "Stubbornly"? Definitely not. "Force of habit"? Positively, yes.

And I don't think even that road gets you there in 13 turns.
            Frodo don't need no roads: his maternal grandfather came from a long line of Alpine Hobbits.

Theoretically, the best our little yodeler can do is to get to Minas Tirith on turn 17, and Barad-dur on turn 21. Of course, this presupposes no enemy action.

In practice:
            Turn 3. The Isengarders break the cease fire so that Harlan's route is a no go unless Frodo has a death wish.
            Turn 7. The Witch King (fighter type air unit) is suckered into a trap and killed by Gandalf (fighter type flying wiz). That removes a major threat to Frodo's mission.
            Turn 13. War with Isengard ends when they raze Erech. This comes too late to speed up Frodo's trip to Minas Tirith.
            Turn 23. Gollum (funny little fellow who flies somehat slower than a hot air balloon) arrives in Minas Tirith.
            Turn 26. Frodo arrives in Minas Tirith.
            Turn 28. Strong force lands south of Osgiliath and starts to fight its way towards Barad-dur. Pre-charged settlers build fortresses every 2 road squares and Gandalf and Gollum provide air cover.
            Turn 32. Ring nukes Barad-dur, Frodo captures it, strong garrison moves into city and Gollum flies CAP for immobilized units on the road to Barad-dur.
            Turn 45. The game at present.
            Turn 55-60. Estimated time needed for Aragorn to become Aragorn the Great, conqueror of Middle Earth (except the elves, of course).

Conclusion: I am not entirely convinced that if, playing FW rather than MGE and something easier than Deity, one can reasonably expect to successfully complete the scen within the 43 turns specified by Harlan. Maybe, maybe not.

On the other hand, it is a nicely tricky scen to play, so who cares.
            Last edited by AGRICOLA; February 9, 2006, 03:11.
            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
              "Stubbornly"? Definitely not. "Force of habit"? Positively, yes.

Frodo don't need no roads: his maternal grandfather came from a long line of Alpine Hobbits.

Ah, does he? I remembered another thing while thinking about the possible roads Frodo can take, though. Because of the way Civ2 movement works (i.e. going East and then South takes just as much time as going Southeast), going to Rivendell and then down the Anduin could be just as fast then.

Conclusion: I am not entirely convinced that if, playing FW rather than MGE and something easier than Deity, one can reasonably expect to successfully complete the scen within the 43 turns specified by Harlan. Maybe, maybe not.

Then again, Harlan said it's possible. Maybe it's nice to actually have a challenge for a change. Requiring several replays before you manage to beat it.

I do have to say, though, I tried to play the thing ages ago, and I sucked badly (probably partly because I'm nowhere near a Deity-level player to begin with), so I don't actually like it that much. Not to mention that the graphics are mediocre at best.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
              X