No announcement yet.

Global Warming help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got bruteforced by the germans. They were sicking groups of legions on me while I was still building warriors. I don't know if it was due to a quirk in starting locations or what, but next time I'll make bronze-working a bigger priority.

Comment

@tgb

The first research goal should usually be Monarchy. If you start with no techs, that means Alpha, Code, CerBur, with another tech between due to the way tech choices are offered (ask if you don't fully understand). Most folk choose either Bronze or Horse with the lean going to Bronze because it allows building a Wonder.

In the early going, be liberal in giving techs to other civs. With dipolmacy, that is, elevating their attitude with gifts, you can avoid war at a time when you really don't want to fight.

btw, If you haven't already experienced it, let the game proceed to the end instead of quitting. The "message" you get is worth seeing.... once.

Good luck
      Monk

edit--After you get a tech from tipping huts, stop tipping until you research Monarchy. Every extra tech (off path) you get before Monarchy, just delays reaching your first goal by adding to your tech costs.
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Early early game advice:

As Monk said, aim for Monarchy first. Then Trade (to allow Caravans), then Monotheism (to allow Crusaders, and Michelangelo's Chapel, which will end most happiness problems you may be having)

(Tip - in the science advisory window, click on "Goal" and then the tech you're aiming for, then "OK". You'll be advised which tech to research in order to work towards your desired tech. Disregard this paragraph if you know this already).

Warriors for martial law only. They don't attack or defend well against anything. Horsemen are your best defenders (using them to strike at approaching AI units, I mean), because most AI attackers have a stronger attack value than defense value. A Horseman unit has about a 50:50 chance of beating a Legion if it attacks the Legion, but a Phalanx, even if fortified, is likely to lose to an attacking Legion. Bottom line - the best defense is a good offense. A Horseman unit can hold off barbarian Archers and AI Chariots much better than a Phalanx can.

If the Germans are making demands on you - give them sciences to keep them happy.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
          Early early game advice:

If the Germans are making demands on you - give them sciences to keep them happy.
          You can always stab them in the back later.

Once my game has usually been established, I do like to plant some (excuse the pun) worriers in key sports in sleep mode. They wake when attacked or when something slips by...
          "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
          "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Working...
          X