Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't need the source code to make Civ2 better...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check also this thread with Dario´s comments @ EVG: http://www.evo-games.net/Home/viewto...?p=29996#29996

Comment

Seems this isn't such a breakthrough after all, from what Dario explains. Cities above 255 cities have their units supported from older cities.

Looks like we still may need the source code for the real revolutions...
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

As far as I understood Dario you´d need to check if you could increase also the support number. Though I could not possibly check this out, someone with Hex-editing qualities must be doing this.

Comment

What about the unit limit?

That would not be affected, or would it?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have no idea Master Curt. If editing one part of the civ2.exe allows us to have more units, cities, some other part of the exe *should* allow to edit these preqs too methinks. But honestly, I do not *know* this

Comment

Having no limits to units would be a first massive step.

As each unit normally is attached to a city, I cannot see what there is to stop it...

Time will tell...
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

The unit support limit shouldn't be a huge problem, if indeed this rehoming is the only major problem with the patch. In large countries is it always feasible to have an infantry unit stationed in all your cities? No, not at all. I could see any cities beyond 256 as being frontier cities or colonies, supportable by the main empire.

Comment

Now this is a thought I could live with, Harry. I first thought of having special "fort" or "barracks" type cities, i.e. military installations that could be used as forward base which would depend on the "mother country".

Comment

Originally posted by jim panse
                    Now this is a thought I could live with, Harry. I first thought of having special "fort" or "barracks" type cities, i.e. military installations that could be used as forward base which would depend on the "mother country".
                    Exactly. Think of an Age of Exploration scenario where you have the main empire in Europe and colonies abroad. None of the colonies can produce trained troops, much less cannon or ships.

Comment

That would make even more than just "plain" sense.

Comment

That's an intriguing idea!

But it causes major problems to trade as well, as Catfish (Wobbegong) pointed out at the civfan thread.
                        Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                          What about the unit limit?
                          He already cracked that earlier. You'll have to check that thread. He might not have actually attached it though.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Eivind IV
                            That's an intriguing idea!

But it causes major problems to trade as well, as Catfish (Wobbegong) pointed out at the civfan thread.
                            I'll have to test the complications of this later. You never know, the tradeoff might be better than usual.

Comment

Well, even if his City-Limit crack isn't perfect, it's still a new feature with many potential uses, injecting new possibilities into Civ2. A cracking Christmas treat.

Given that the limit for most things is 255, I would guess that the problems with the city limit is related to the problems of 8 bit memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/255_%28number%29). I have only a layman's knowledge, so can't think of anyway around it. I don't know if there is a way of allocating more memory to tracking the no's of resources/units/cities, and if there was, it would have to be done several times...

I also hate to play Mr Negativity, but I really think that people shouldn't get too excited about the possibility of more than 7 civs. It might be possible to make the barbs playable in a limited sense, but I strongly doubt the Civ2 engine could handle more than the current maximum number of Civs, again due to memory limitations, and the various ingame framework (ie: I doubt all 9 civs would show up in diplomacy, in Cheat mode, etc). Of course, it would be fantastic if it could be done, and I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong, but I just don't want anyone to be too disappointed if it isn't possible...

Comment

More . . . . .

I'd like to see;

1.) A land unit that carried "missles." If the missles had a low range, 2 or 3 squares, then this could more accurately mimic artillery that "fired" its own shells. Tactical simulations would be more realistic.

2.) Bombing air units that could "pillage." Cutting roads and railroads has historically been one of the roles of airpower. It'd be nice to see it implemented.

3.) Units that could ONLY move on railroads, and could carry other units. Couple this with the inability of all other ground units to move on/utilize railroads and the illusion would be complete.

4.) Borders. The game program CAN recognize the areas/squares 3 squares away from a given players' cities when it checks for unhappiness caused by troops away from their home cities when a civ is in Republic or Democracy. It'd be nice if all other civs were prevented from encroaching upon this 3-square radius UNLESS the 2 civs were at war.
                                Lost in America.
                                "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                                "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                                "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Working...
                                X