No announcement yet.

Windows doesn't like Civ 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can check that by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Properties...

Comment

In that case yes I do have service pack 2... is there any way i can get rid of it if thats what is stopping me play it?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
        In order for it to work on Windows XP, the operating system I assume you have, you need to drop into your civ2 directory a file called "Choice.com". It's been recently posted in this thread. I swear this needs to be stickied.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=140292
        *cough* Not quite... Choice.com has nothing to do with getting Civ2 to run. The only thing choice.com does is add support for "multiple choice menus" in batch files used often for scenarios with multiple sets of units/events or so.

Try these 2 threads on CivFanatics instead, blue blob:
        I've tried to install Civ 2 through Windows XP but when I start to install it a pop up appears with the following on it C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows. Choose close to terminate the application. Does anyone know what...

Can anyone tell me how to get Civ2 to run on Win2000. :confused: When I launch the game I get the error message: CIV2 caused a Stack Fault in module IR41.DLL at 0002:019D. Choose close. CIV2 will close. :mad: Thanks, Doctor Atomic
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Thank you like a million time over!!!! The first one worked yay!

Comment

I think I'm going to cry: It installed fine its all on my computer now... but when i clikc the icon to play it it comes up with a little box saying: Cannot find WING.DLL
            anyone got any ideas?

Comment

ooh when i click close it comes up with another little window saying: (on the blue bar) Application Error
              (Beneath) CIV2 caused a General Protection Fault in module CIV2.EXE at 0041:0384
              Choose close. CIV2 will close

Comment

Try installing this:

(I got it here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=125698, though I changed it to a zip)

I'm not sure if that will fix it. WinG should be on your Civ2 CD as well (and it should have installed automatically). You can also see if you can find it on your CD (I think it's in a WING subfolder) and install it from there.
                Last edited by Mercator; November 12, 2005, 20:13.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I have XP, and I never had a single problem with Classic Civ2. Have been civving since 1999, but Civ3 I discovered only this year.

Comment

Okay this is getting beyond a joke now... It came up with the 16 bit windows subsystem again
                    but the file is \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

Comment

Yay!!! I fixed it!!!
                      *is extremly happy* now im off to play it thank you so much for all you help guys!

Comment

/me makes a mental note to recall this thread when he buys his hot new PC next month.
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

lol just so you know if it keeps coming up with error messages... keep changing the file it says about and it will work eventually

Comment

Working...
                          X