Deciphering Error Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering Error Messages

In case you didn't see Broken Erika's thread, fatal error when trying start ToT, Catfish deciphered the error code that pops up when you load ToT with a Rules.txt containing an error.

In the error dialog, ToT lists:
    Code:
    Error "-6" in module "3" data: 31 0
    The firs number in quotes refers to the section in Rules.txt. The third (31), refers to the line in that section (line #1 = 0)

Originally posted by Wobbegong aka Catfish
    You can generate these error messages deliberately. In a minute or so, you'd have figured out that module 3 is consistent with a rules.txt file error, and that the negative error numbers correspond to various tables. A few examples:

-4 @CIVILIZE or @ENDWONDER
    -5 @IMPROVE
    -6 @UNITS
    -7 @TERRAIN

The data values indicate the position in the table where the error was generated. That's how I hunt down these types of errors. So far it's worked every time.
    Btw, did his advice work Broken_Erika?

AFAIK, Catfish is banned from 'Poly for not having a valid email in his profile. He mentioned trying once to clear it with MarkG, but gave up after that. If you want to ask him anything directly, just post on CivFan.
    Attached Files
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

TOG instead of ToG, a period where a comma was supposed to be,and a few other problems that were hard to spot,
    overall i have resumed work on it,
    it's basicly Another Useles Variant for ToT, with the tech tree rewired so i can add a future age to it,
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

No comments aside from BE!?

Either the post makes no sense (let me know if this is true), no one makes mistakes in Rules.txt anymore, no one likes Catfish, it's too controversial, or it's common knowledge.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Sorry Boco. I stopped making errors years ago.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
          Sorry Boco. I stopped making errors years ago.
          Yeah, me two!
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
            No comments aside from BE!?

Either the post makes no sense (let me know if this is true), no one makes mistakes in Rules.txt anymore, no one likes Catfish, it's too controversial, or it's common knowledge.
            I knew about this ages ago anyway. I never really bothered to find out what exactly the numbers were, but I knew they referred to the text files, their sections and lines. I've never really done enough editing to give it too much thought.

So it certainly didn't give me an ... In fact, I'd say the fact that you had no idea makes me , rather. My inquisitive mind has always made me want to figure out how things work, particularly with Civ2. That's how I got into hex-editing etc. I'm kind of surprised that you (and seemingly most people with you) just kinda dismiss these things and don't bother trying to find out if there's some kind of structure behind it all.

Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Aw Merc, aside from revelries about me, nothing 's you. Excepting perfect techumseh , the community seems divided between the hex-savvy, for whom this is as new and clever as a Baldrick plan, and the nontechie designers for whom this is a . Yeah, I s'pose it's one of those areas that I should learn more, but I seem to keep getting side-tracked by surfing for history.
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                Aw Merc, aside from revelries about me, nothing 's you.

Yeah, I s'pose it's one of those areas that I should learn more, but I seem to keep getting side-tracked by surfing for history.
                hehe... Well, that's something I don't really do. I guess that's why you make scenarios and I make utilities.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                X