Miscellaneous Civ2 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous Civ2 Questions

1. My understanding is that Civ2 classic was a 16-bit program, requiring Win3.1. Were Civ2 MGE and Civ2 ToT 32-bit programs? The hex editing saved games document by Allard H.S. Höfelt says yes. But I remember asking someone from Microprose (?) years ago, just as MGE was being released. He said that only the installer was 32-bit, but most of the program was still 16-bit. Who is right?

2. The same hex editing saved games document shows how to remove resources from all squares in a Map if you desire. Can someone confirm that it is impossible to remove the shield from all grassland squares? I always see both types of grassland when I put them in a map, and their placement follows a pattern, which changes depending on the seed.

3. Related to the previous question: let's assume it's impossible to remove the shield from the grassland squares. Suppose I were create a scenario where I change the graphics of the terrain. For whatever new terrain I make to replace grassland, the third one listed (I believe) in rules.txt, will I automatically get two versions of it, one with a shield and one without? In other words, is this "feature" hard-coded into the program?

4. If I wanted to change the values in rules.txt for shields, food, etc. for the terrain, what are the theoretical (and practical) limits for these values? 7? 255?

Thanks in advance.

pd

Merc, transportation needed, por favor.

Comment

Welcome!

1. I'm pretty sure MGE is 32-bit. I'm not too sure about the details about how this sort of stuff works. But Resource Hacker can read the MGE executable and DLL's (and can't read the FW executable/DLL's), so that's good enough evidence for me that it really is 32 bit.

2. Maybe there is a way to remove the shield, but I don't know anyone who found it. So I'll say it's impossible.
      Interesting though, I hadn't thought of this like that. Both the goody huts and resources can be removed. Only the shields can't.

3. Yep, it's hard-coded. You could change the shield graphic, but you can't change the effect (i.e. one extra shield).

4. I don't know actually. Most likely the theoretical limit is 127. But strange things might start happening before then.

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
      Merc, transportation needed, por favor.
      Harry, I have no powers here, [insert appropriate Spanish retort].
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Ah ok. My post was in hope that Merc could move the thread to the Scenario League, which garners a lot fo the Civ2 traffic and has many who could answer Duo's question.

Comment

Try Rah or Ming...

Comment

Working...
          X