No announcement yet.

Empire of the Rising Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you need for russia is one infantry, one tank, a plane(or 2) and that's pretty much it,

Also mabe you could include the Type 4 Chi-To
    This design never went beyond prototype before the war ended. Chi-To's development began in 1942, to succeed Shinhoto Chi-Ha. In the first plan, the hull would be modified type of Chi-Ha, and main armament would be high velocity 57mm ATG. The plan changed in July 1943, to arm with 75mm high velocity cannon (copy of Bofors M29 75mm AAG) to catch up with world standard specification. So, it was decided that Chi-To would be designed all over again - from the ground up. The first prototype was finished in May 1944. Owing to war material priorities and other factors, only 6 were ever completed.

(either that's a midget, or that tank is HUGE!!)
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• if you need a japanese tank destroyer
      Type 1 Tank Destroyer Ho-Ni
      Based on the Model 97 Tank, same specifications but with a 75mm cannon.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• and finally the
        Type 4 Ha-To SPG
        The Type 4 30cm SP Mortar "Ha-To" was developed in 1944. Ha-To had
        a Type 3 300mm Mortar, its weight of projectile was 170kg and the
        effective range was 3000m. Only 4 Ha-To were produced, and none of
        them were committed to war.

Comment

• and the most terrifying of all, the Model 94

Comment

• @Broken_Erika: Thanks for all the armor lore; I think I may need to use batch files to switch units.gif and rules.txt files, as well as events.txt files, to fit all these things, or maybe use ToT.

As for the signature thing, don't worry fairline, you'll get full credit in the readme, along with everyone else who contributed. My heartfelt apologies for this unfortunate mistake.

Comment

• Here are some more units to work with,
              the one with the initials "DV" makes really nice planes!

which AC tank did the australians use more? AC1, AC3 or AC4
              (thanks to case for making 'em )

Comment

• Originally posted by Patine
                As for the signature thing, don't worry fairline, you'll get full credit in the readme, along with everyone else who contributed. My heartfelt apologies for this unfortunate mistake.
                Please correct me if I'm wrong but I read your post to mean that you intend to use unit icons without sigs. If so, I'm afraid that what you suggest does nothing to remedy the point raised by fairline:

Originally posted by fairline
                Just a point of accepted convention round here Patine: please leave the artists initials on their units
                Firstly, nobody pays any attention to the credits in the readme. The author's helpful hints are much more important to eager beavers who want to start the scen ASAP.

Much more importantly, your scen will contain unit icons without their creators' signatures. Unfortunately, the problem will not stop there. Anyone who borrows icons from your scen rather than going back to the original source will further propagate the problem.

This is much like the Pedia file where, in the long-forgotten past, some Neanderthal must have figured that fifty percent should be written as 50%%. This has spread to the point where many scens have Pedias that contain the lout's handiwork.

Originally posted by Patine
                I think that ultimately, I'll have to redo the units.gif and its subsequent stats on the rules.txt largely again from scratch.
                Exactly. I would suggest that redoing it is the only way to be fair to members of the Apolyton Guild of Graphic Artists who contribute so much time and talent.
                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• Point taken, AGRICOLA. I'm actually considering redoing the whole thing by ToT, so that I have more space for units and events (please tell me, someone, if the units on my units.gif and on this thread will all work in Tot). I will redo the units.gif from the source files, thus keeping the signatures (ToT, of course, has no graphics editor, thus the glytch that erases the sigs won't be there).

@Broken_Erika: Thanks for the additional units! I appreciate it!

Comment

• These units will indeed work in ToT...

Except they will be bitmaps (more colours!) and that your scenario
                    should be made with the default ToT sprites deactivated.

(Catfish provides a cool file that does this on his 'Catfish's Cave' site)

Indeed I would advocate this one in ToT - I would
                    also cut and paste the proper initials onto the units...
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Thanks, Curt. I am currently making the beta units.bmp, which I'll post tomorrow (later today, properly). I'm copying and pasting the units from the source files, and so far the initials are intact.

Comment

• You'll also need to cut and paste the unit icons onto ToT slots (much taller than MGE). If you intend using my Sherman, 25-pdr, Pack 75, B-25 etc, there are already ToT versions which utilise the full 15-bit palette and correctly dimensioned unit slots. They are posted in the WW2 graphics thread. Please don't use the compromised MGE-palette versions for ToT
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                          Much more importantly, your scen will contain unit icons without their creators' signatures. Unfortunately, the problem will not stop there. Anyone who borrows icons from your scen rather than going back to the original source will further propagate the problem.
                          Exactly right Agricola
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• plus tot uses bitmaps, which all versions of ms-paint recognise, to edit gifs, you need winxp i think, winxp's paint opens anything

Comment

• Advanced Japanese armor is not that crucial to the game, as fun as it might be-even that Type 4 Chi-Ho would have been maybe equal to an M4-76, the Firefly, T34-86 or Panther, depending on the quality of the gun- I would expect there to be no radio and poor gunnery equipment- at best it could be as useful as medium tanks of other combantants, thought shortages of fuel would be horrible.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I just got an idea that I have never seen, but could be very effective to simulate Japan's immense need of foreign goods- make a lot of Japanese units, specially ships, somce planes, and tanks VERY expensive, except for cargo ships, which should be very cheap: This means that Japan's innitial military is difficult to replace due to cost- then, grant Japan a lot of free event created caravans as they conquer South East Asia, and then more as events every few turns-obviously the Japanese player can ferry these caravans homeward to convert into units. This makes being able to send these caravans to japan the difference between anemic military production, and production able to compete with immense US production. This also means that if the AI is able to cut off the shipping lanes with subs or by taking certain islands, Japanese military production suffers dramatically.

Obviously, if the AI could be made to use thse caravans correctly, the ability of a US player to choke Japan off by destroying its shipping lanes would make victory far easier. I don't know if that is very possible.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X