NEW SCENARIO: All Under Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW SCENARIO: All Under Heaven

Greetings all. I used to hang around these forums a lot about two years ago, before a number of unfortunate real life circumstances forced me to abandon civ2 in general - and several pbems in particular. For the latter I'd like to offer my apologies, and I only hope that those affected can forgive me for being so unreliable...

On a happier note, however, as of the start of this year I've once more had some time that I could devote to civ2 . This resulted in me rediscovering an old tech tree I'd made ages ago, and turning this into a scenario - the first I've ever actually completed. So here it is: All Under Heaven: The Rise of the Chinese Empire. Enjoy (I hope!)

But first, some background. All Under Heaven is about the classical period in Chinese history - the Spring and Autumns period, the period of the Warring states and the time of the Han Empire. Basically its about the establishment of the first Chinese Empire, and the concurrent rise of Chinese civilization. Lots of techs, improvements, and wonders as well as units and conquest. For more info see the (somewhat overweight)readme.txt.

Now, some screenshots that will hopefully whet your appetites...

Comment

A shot of central China in one of my playtests. The units in the bottom right corner are engineers, working on the land; in the upper left, heavy cavalry heading for the frontier.
      Attached Files

Comment

The northern frontier. Some heavy cavalry prepare to assault a Hsiung-nu (they're the northern steppe barbarians) city in the upper right. Note the devastation left by barbarian raids around Daijun...
        Attached Files

Comment

One of my less successful playtests . Here the Hsiung-nu hold most of China north of the Yellow River and are probing the south with their horse archers and raiders.
          Attached Files

Comment

And here is a shot of the city screen for Lingfang in another game. I'd only recently subdued the south, so it was still relatively under-developed. (I had to partially crop the image as the forum wouldn't let me post the full-size shot).
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome back Winterfritz!

Nice seeing you again!

And maybe with your return we might even resurrect the AoW pbem...
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I feel like a completely idiotic newbie in asking this, but how do I download the scen? I think I've tried everything I can think of.
                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

But thats enough shameless self-promotion outta me - heres the actual scenario (attached below).

Feel free to post any comments/suggestions/advice below, or send it to the email address given in the readme. I hope you enjoy it!
                  Attached Files

Comment

@ Agricola: you couldn't download it because I hadn't posted it . My connection got interrupted.

@ Cyrion: Thanks! Re the AoW pbem: maybe... I'm a bit wary of committing to civ2 related stuff after my 'quick and dirty' project here ended up taking months of concentrated effort

Here are some (fairly essential) additional files: the readme and the visual tech trees. (I couldn't post these with the other scenario files as the whole thing was too big to attach).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome back 'Fritz

Here are some (fairly essential) additional files: the readme and the visual tech trees. (I couldn't post these with the other scenario files as the whole thing was too big to attach).
                      You can now upload large files directly onto the 'Poly servers and then post a link to them. see: http://apolyton.net/upload It's a rather cool little feature IMO.

BTW, did you ever release your Roman scenario? Even in it's unfinished state it was seriously cool.
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                        BTW, did you ever release your Roman scenario? Even in it's unfinished state it was seriously cool.
                        Yes, my first playtest! (Though I proved a bad tester then, as I didn't really commit to it ).

And Winterfritz, a bit late for asking, but know that I used 1 of your barbarian riders units from the scen as the "3 Horsemen of Apocralypse" in my Discworld scenario!

I hope you don't mind?
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Thanks Case . But no, I never released it. I'm undecided now on whether to finish it as is or to totally rebuild it. I've had a few ideas which could either change the scenario substantially, or be used in another project.

I hope you don't mind?
                          No problems Cyrion. At least someone's using those graphics

Comment

OK...

I've uploaded all the scenario files together in one zip, for greater downloading convenience. (You're right Case, this feature is rather handy.)

Here's the link:

Last edited by winterfritz; July 16, 2004, 12:13.

Comment

Hey fritz! Glad to see you're back, and that things seem to be well. Look at this, the AOW crew back together

This is a period I'm unfamiliar with, but I'll definitely check out your scen

Comment

Working...
                              X