Troy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy

I saw the movie "Troy" and thought it was pretty good. I recommend it to everyone who likes ancient history and a good epic story.

It would be interesting to see a scenario done on the Trojan Wars

Also, I think Oliver Stone is releasing a movie about Alexander the Great in the fall.

Finally, since the Olympics are being held in Greece this summer, it would be kind of interesting to see a scenario based on the Battle of Thermopylae (anniversary is August 18).

Cheers!

The film was nice, though I didn't like the music, and Orlando Bloom could've made more than 2 1/2 facial expressions.
    Apart from that, the city looked great, but why did they mix Greek, Egyptian and Persian art? Just a thought...
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I thought it was well acted, set up sequels (Aeneid, Odyssey), but there was one inaccuracy: Achilles ship had a black sail with a Lambda on it. The Lamba was the symbol of Lakedaimonians, or Spartans, as you can see on Leonidas' avatar. With his father being Pelias, and his mother Thetis ( a sea-nymph), he should have had the ram of Iolchis, his father's kingdom. I thought mixing art was a good idea, but when was there Egyptian art? I thought the idea of Persian for Troy, and Hellenistic (should have been archaic, considering the time period) for the Achaeans, made a good contrast between the two.
      Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

There were more than one accuracy, I guess I'd say that Bloom was better than Pritt, and the guy who did Hector was clearly bettter than the other two, just imho.

Anyway, we've already a scen based upon these hard times
        Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

but when was there Egyptian art?

Some statues and carvings had obvious Egyptian influences.
          In general, Troyan art was mostly pre-Classical Greek (many statues) and Persian- some carvings were exact copies of carvings from Persepolis.
          I didn't mind that though, because I regarded this film as fantasy, not historical. And it did one hell of a job- the fight between Achilles and Hector was among the best swordfights I've seen on film!

I personally liked Pitt better than Bloom in this film, because I think he had a superior acting performance.
          Which reminds me...
          I saw the film with a mate of mine, and we had a lot of fun teasing a group of 14-year old girls that sat beside us. At one point, before the film started, I exclaimed "I heard Brad Pitt was gay," to which one of the girls shouted to me: "I don't care, I've got a crush on Orlando Bloom, not on Brad Pitt!"
          We couldn't hold ourselves with laughter!
          Follow the masses!
          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

@Leonidas
            IIRC, there is at lest one scenario called Trojan War (very old, I think).
            Good idea Thermopylai's scenario, but quite difficul for civ2, however I was working ( ) on a Persian Wars scenario, too (one of the thousands of mine... )
            There will be another movie about Alex the Great (not ony the one you've mentioned), and... I read George Clooney will be LEONIDAS (the real, not you!!! ) in a future movie called "Gates of Fire" (Thermpylai...what else???). I thinks it is inspired by an omonimous book, the author... I'll post it later(when remember).

@GoPostal:
            Right, 'lambda' is wrong... but careful!!!
            Achilles' father was Peleos, (Pelias was the Jason 's uncle-enemy ), and his city wasn't Iolchos but another one, always in Thessalia: PHTIA. Just for precision
            A 'greek pi' maybe could have been a nice graphic solution, didn't it?

@you all:
            hey guys, don't tell me any more!!!
            I'll see the movie tomorrow (perhaps), cause in Italy cinemas - only tomorrow - will cost 3€...
            "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

3€??

Damm it, that's very cheap (the thing that I love from the € is that I know understand how cheap/expensive are the things in other Europeans countries)

We've also a scen basep upon the Odissey (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                The film was nice, though I didn't like the music, and Orlando Bloom could've made more than 2 1/2 facial expressions.
                Apart from that, the city looked great, but why did they mix Greek, Egyptian and Persian art? Just a thought...
                The music was brooding in tone. It sounded a lot like that from Gladiator.

Comment

Originally posted by GoPostal
                  I thought it was well acted, set up sequels (Aeneid, Odyssey
                  I heard rumours that the other two you mention may also be done.

That would be kinda cool, considering the time period. I'm glad that Hollywood is getting back into the epics.

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
                    There were more than one accuracy, I guess I'd say that Bloom was better than Pritt, and the guy who did Hector was clearly bettter than the other two, just imho.

Anyway, we've already a scen based upon these hard times
                    There were pretty solid performances all around. Although I did kinda like Pitt's performance. He can clearly hold his own in an historical picture.

The action sequences were very well done.

I saw that scenario, but it is quite old, with very dated graphics.

It would be interesting to see a new scenario based on the Trojan Wars: just two protagonists. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                      And it did one hell of a job- the fight between Achilles and Hector was among the best swordfights I've seen on film!

I personally liked Pitt better than Bloom in this film, because I think he had a superior acting performance.
                      I agree - some of the best action/sword play sequences done on film.

I also think Pitt turned in a very good performance. I wasn't expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I would really like to see the Aeneid, because I have to cover it for GCSE, might understand it.
                        Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

Then I'd have been expecting too much becaues I got just the opposite feeling. However, there would never been enough civ2 scens, and more than other thing, epic civ2 scens. It's good new to hear such a scen is going to be done

Any idea aobut civs, scenario-style and so on?

EDIT: This was a crosspost with GoPostal

Comment

Originally posted by Gagliaudo
                            @Leonidas
                            IIRC, there is at lest one scenario called Trojan War (very old, I think).
                            Good idea Thermopylai's scenario, but quite difficul for civ2, however I was working ( ) on a Persian Wars scenario, too (one of the thousands of mine... )
                            There will be another movie about Alex the Great (not ony the one you've mentioned), and... I read George Clooney will be LEONIDAS (the real, not you!!! ) in a future movie called "Gates of Fire" (Thermpylai...what else???). I thinks it is inspired by an omonimous book, the author... I'll post it later(when remember).
                            With all the advances and talent, it would be interesting to see a new Trojan War scenario

Thermoplyae Scenario:

needed:

1) very mountainous map

2) two protagonists: Spartans (plus allies) and Persians

3) small pass in mountains

4) lots of events whereby destroyed Persians are spawned to keep attacking the Spartans in the Pass

5) Event that opens the "alternate" route through the mountains.

6) player plays the Spartans, and achieves victory by holding the Persians longer than historically done. . .

etc, etc. . .

Just a thought. I think we owe the ancient Greeks a great deal. Xerxes' plan was to invade all of Greece and then Europe. The Greeks foiled those ambitious plans.

But it was the Spartan bravery that led the way. Leonidas and his Three Hundred gained immortality for bravery that will ring throughout eternity. . .

It was after stopping the Persian invasion that Greece entered its Golden Age and gave us many of the foundations to our philosophy, art, government, etc

I think there may be three movies being done of the Spartan last stand: "The 300 Spartans", "Gates of Fire", and I can't recall the last one. . .

It would be a great tribute to their sacrifice, and to coincide with the Olympics, to have a scenario based on this event

Cheers!
                            Last edited by Leonidas; May 23, 2004, 09:45.

Comment

I gave John Ellis' units (for his scenario "Hellas") a re-touch by adding new units done by others, and/or by improving upon some existing units.

I don't take any credit for any of these units:

Last edited by Leonidas; May 23, 2004, 17:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X