Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ApolytonPLUS - Is it worth it for SL Regulars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curt could you be more specific? are you talking about providing server space to PLUS members or something else?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yep - I was thinking about paying members.
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was thinking something similar...

How about making that an extension to the uploads area? For all your uploads you can add a small description/title and choose whether you want them to be "public". All those selected public files, together with their description, are then displayed in the member's "homepage".

That would make it rather generic and probably not too difficult to implement, yet give creators one central place to show off their stuff. They can then simply put a link to that "homepage" in their sig, or maybe even have a little icon at the top of their posts (like the "profile and "PM" icons).

I guess people could even have a screenshot in that description, simply by putting an image link to the screenshot (also in your upload space) in it.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Good idea Merc
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

i like the idea of the "user homepage" merc.

of course the concept of showing a file to the public is already implement in it's full capacity in the Directory

Comment

Very true...

But especially the civ2 section is rather cluttered, because it has by far the most files yet with little subdivision. Trying to find the file you want is a rather cumbersome task.

The Spanish Civ2 Site is much nicer for scenarios, thanks to the subdivision by time period. But that could use a little improvement as well, like sorting the listings alphabetically, and adding search and screenshots.
              My site is much better for maps, with its subdivision by geographical location, though it most definitely lacks previews.

But it will probably be a near-impossible task to fix this (I can attest to that with my, so far, failed attempts to get my complete map collection online).

Not to mention the much despised modpack/scenario/patch naming convention. And I'm not even going to start on the archive sections.

A homepage would give a little more direct access to someone's files. Though I guess that could also be implemented as an extension to the directory, rather than the upload space, or maybe even somehow connecting the two.

Perhaps that "public"-checkbox could automatically add the file to the directory instead (after the required details are entered). But then users should also be able to update those, without needing any verification on your end. Otherwise they'd still be at your mercy, and you'll be swamped. But not requiring verification might not be the safest thing for the directory either.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

too often people make mistakes on how to fill in the fields or the size of the thumbnail, so verification is required

Comment

That's what I thought...

Comment

Well, having won it, I must say, I like not having pop-ups and all.

And, I feel so proud that I won.
                    Vote Democrat
                    Support Democracy

Comment

Working...
                    X