Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ApolytonPLUS - Is it worth it for SL Regulars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ApolytonPLUS - Is it worth it for SL Regulars?

Before I shell out my $US 18 for this, I'd just like to know:
    a) Have any other SL regulars signed up for this
    and
    b) Do they think that it's worth it?

It seems like a pretty good deal to me, but as I only regularly visit this board, I'd like a little bit of reassurance before I shell out my 'hard' earned money.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

While all the ads are annyoing as hell, I'm not gonna pay that kind of money for a site which I only visit for a max total of 10 minutes per day. This is perhaps only worth something for those who spend a good part of their lives here (as I used to do).
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

But the more interesting bonuses for scenario designers are that you have more upload space, and bigger attachments.

But I consider it mostly as a way to support Apolyton. If I ever decide to do it, it won't be because of any fancy features (or absence of them, i.e. ads), but simply because I want to support Apolyton. At the moment, my bank balance says no.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

damnit! DP
        Last edited by Mercator; April 5, 2004, 16:27.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

um... TP?
          Last edited by Mercator; April 5, 2004, 16:28.

Comment

make that a QP...

(could some mod please relieve me of this monstrosity?)

[St. Leo: No.]

You bastard!
            (no, I'm not talking to myself)

[St. Leo: Yes, you are.]
            Last edited by St Leo; April 20, 2004, 12:42.

Comment

I miht consider it - but it depends who is getting my visa number!
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

PayPal is.

Comment

Well I signed up, as you may have noticed (Ian McShane doesn't look like some wussy settler from Civ3).

As Mercator said, it's a good way to support the site and to provide some incentive for the owners to improve the forums. I mostly signed up to donate, get rid of some of the more annoying ads, and get a nice kingly avatar at 350 posts, but others may find the increased upload space and the avatar a bit parse for their tastes.

Anyways, just think, if the site is able to improve through the use of a moderate pay service we might be able to bring more people in that will contribute to Civ2...

I joined Apolyton because I liked the feel of the site and because it didn't pander to the latest money maker, much like *cough* CivFan. If I can help out Apolyton and get a little something for my trouble then I'm all for it.

Now if only the owners would decide to incorporate Apolyton as a Non-Profit charity in the U.S. I might be able to get a nice little tax deduction... hint, hint...

Comment

Well, I just coughed up my $US18 for 'Poly Plus. I guess that spending my wages in this way gives me a license to surf the site at work
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

thank you Case!

so guys, what would you consider as creator-targeted benefits?
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Upload space
                        Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

we've already got that
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

An eight day to the week
                            Follow the masses!
                            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              thank you Case!

so guys, what would you consider as creator-targeted benefits?
                              A dedicated sticky hosting site-area for scenarios and a fully working and reliable server space.
                              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X