No announcement yet.

WIP: How Few Remain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarsstock, I'd like to post the city.gif, but unfortunately I'm up in university at the moment. I have not installed Civ2 on my laptop as I believe it would lead to a catastrophic drop in my grades (my conditional offer to Glasgow Medical School states I've got to get a 2H1 in my final exams ). So at the moment I'm simply mulling over some ideas, and compiling the graphics I'll use in the playtest version. I won't be actually working on it again for at least 3 weeks. Rest assured that I will finish it however, and I plan to have a playtest out by the end of February.

I'll tell you what: I'll see if I can get someone back home to e-mail up the city.gif, which I'll then post. I'd really like to see what you can do to improve them (they're pretty good IMHO already), but after seeing your excellent title.gif, I've no doubt that you can make them better.

I'll also see about getting a complete units.gif up.

Fairline, I don't have any further graphic requests at the moment. Your contribution to this project has been greatly appreciated.

I don't think Fairline has received the Silver Fleece award yet. How long can we allow this to stand!? Let's get our asses over to the Spanish Civ 2 forum and get him in!
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

No worries man, medical school? Wow!! Trust me I understand that takes priority here.

Comment

Originally posted by our_man

I don't think Fairline has received the Silver Fleece award yet. How long can we allow this to stand!? Let's get our asses over to the Spanish Civ 2 forum and get him in!
        He hasn't received it yet, but he has been nominated by many people, and I promise he's in our list.

The next award will be given next month (JAN/FEB 2004).
        "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
        "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
        The Spanish Civilization Site
        "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Originally posted by jasev

He hasn't received it yet, but he has been nominated by many people, and I promise he's in our list.

The next award will be given next month (JAN/FEB 2004).
          Give us the directlink so we can vote for him!

Btw, Fairline, superb ironclads!
          "Peace cannot be kept by force.
          It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Sorry, only The Spanish Civilization Site staff members can vote
            We accepts nominations in this thread or via this e-mail.
            "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
            "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
            The Spanish Civilization Site
            "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Well we'll still be pulling for ya fairline, even if we can't vote.

Comment

That's very kind of you guys, but most undeserved when you consider the list of civ luminaries who've won the Silver Fleece over the years. Thanks for the nomination though our_man

Personally, I think a better choice would be curtsibling; not only are his scenarios fun to play, but graphically they are superb examples of complete, cohesive art in the same way that BeBro's and Nemo's scenarios were. I think you have your next winner in Curt, Jasev!
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

by now (1881-82), I think Monitor and Virginia are gone. I'd look into making a Passaic-class monitor. It isn't much different than Monitor..

Comment

That's a fair point AoW, but I had one eye on replacing the units in Nemo's ACW scenario when I drew these Monitor did indeed sink in a storm in the ACW and I think Virgina/Merrimac was scuttled by the Rebs when Norfolk or Richmond fell to the Union to prevent it's capture. However, pretty much all the Confederate ironclads subsequently built were based on the Virginia, albeit on much smaller hulls and much smaller raised breastworks. I think it's safe to assume the Turtledove post-ACW Confederacy is cash-strapped, so wouldn't have built a load of new ships in the post-war period up to 1880.

An interesting alternative to the Virginia might be these 2 ships which were built for the Confederacy by Laird's shipyard in Britain, but ended up being used by the Royal Navy after the US put pressure on the British not to deliver them. Had the Confederacy won, they surely would have been handed to the Confederacy and were massively better ships than the Union Monitor and her successors:
                    Attached Files

Comment

As for the Passaic, it was virtually identical to the Monitor, as were most of the Union single-turret monitor designs. I can change the turret details easy enough.

@our_man: I can draw these 2 ships if you need 'em
                      Attached Files

Comment

OK, a 5-minute redraw of the Monitor to Passaic Class, pluss the Monitor, Virginia and another Nemo ACW scenario-replacement, the USS Benton:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man you just can't stop designing these units can ya? Man if I could make units half as good as those I wouldn't stop either.

Comment

This scenario has the seeds of a cool 1870-style epic!

And fairline?

He's that man who is creating a new classic unit on a near-daily basis!

The gif-making machine!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fairline, I have run out of compliments to give. Are you aware Fairline that there's an entire series of books this scenario is based on? The next book deals with the First World War being fought on North America between the USA the CSA and Canada, I know your busy but do you think you'd be interested perhaps in working on this sequal? It would involve updated Monitors, Great Lake Battleships, Black Marxist fighters and plenty of other creative units.

Comment

I'd gladly help with the units Sarsstock, and thanks for the compliments. I've got too many other civ projects on the go to be a proper co-author, I'm afraid, but it does sound like an interesting project. Maybe you should open a thread at CDG and throw some ideas around. I'd love to have a go at some late 19th Century warships, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X