No announcement yet.

Dirty Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razing it is! I expected nothing less...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Mr. rabbit ?
      Wizards sixth rule:
      "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
      Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• Have played 8 of 10 turns. Hope to finish tonight and post on the morrow.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Desppicable!

OK, here we go...

1780 -- We're a cash-cow Fundy of 52 cities and 5.28 MM ppl, with 1120 in the treasury. Faders are at 80-20-0, netting 274 GP/turn and a tech each 31 turns. Studying Magnetism.

Our reputation is Poor.

Remembering admonishments from the past, we experiment with Luxuries and Elvi, but our lack of happy WoWs prevents more than a paltry few cities from celebrating. We decide to stay the course.

Goals:
          -Convert our pathitic trireme-caravel shipchain to transports.
          -Build a rail system.
          -Complete Magnetism and start on Explosives if offered (Metallurgy if not).
          -Continue attack on the Chinese.
          -Find and take Nanking! It has Leo's, so we stand to gain massive troop upgrades before it can be deactivated!
          -Find the missing civs/reveal the map!
          -Attain a Despicable reputation.

Why are we building caravels when transports are online???

So that means --
          Build transports, settlers, camels, and dips in profusion.
          Explore both east- and westbound.
          Hammer the Chinese with Dips and Crucs.
          Fix and expand shipchain from homeland to China.

{ENTER} 1762
          --Incremental RB brings treasury down to 800.
          --Chinese wanna chat, demand and receive RR and cease-fire.
          --We spot Chinese cities of Tatung (7) and Macao (3).

--RB of dips 'n' ships continues. Two-at-a-time dysfunctional shipchain frustrates...
          --Builds completed: 2 Settlers, 4 Dips, 3 Barracks, 2 camels.
          --chinese expel one of our 2 exploring Dips.

--Chinese learn Metallurgy from Babylonians.
          --Chat with Babs. They demand 1,000 GP for befouling their lands. No = WAR!
          --Aztecs and Chinese sign Beijing Pact. CF with Chinese expires.
          --Barbs land 3 knights at Muddville. Two die, one bribed. Caravel also bribed (82 each).
          --Carths abandon, then re-start Magellan.
          --Camel, Harbour, 3 more dips completed.
          --Kill Babylone Explorer at Kabul.

--Up to 355 net income per turn.
          --Aztecs complete King Richard's Tenochtitlan Crusade.
          --Settler, Transport, 3 more dips, done, enter shipchain.
          --Oil from Dust bunny and silk from Whale Poo reach Beijing, net 92 total GP.

--Babs and Aztecs sign Tenochtitlan Pact.
          --We complete 7 more dips, a settler, and 2 marketplaces. RB Aqueduct in Muddville? check of rules says we don't do that!! Change to Bank and RB that instead...
          --South/west trireme finds Chartres (10) in deep south. Demands Copper, silk, and Dye.

--Chinese chat. They have 8 cities and Metallurgy. Studying Physics. New CF agreed, after which they change governments.
          --Barracks, 5 dips several transports completed.
          --Western hut yields NONE Settler
          --Beijing deliveries of Dye from Dung City and Silk from Foul Play net 102 GP total.
          --Dip reports on Beijing defenses -- 4 improvements, 3 musketeers. City has HG and GW, about 2/3 done with Magellan.
          --Dips raze defenses, crucs take out defenders. City down from size8 to size5.
          --Depsite breaking CF, our reputation remains Poor.

--Chinese go to Republic, abandon Magellan (since production was destroyed...)
          --We finally discover Magnetism and opt for Explosives over Commie, Metallurgy, Economics.
          --Complete 5 dips, 2 barracks and a Marketplace.
          --Beijing captured, netting 22 GP and Metallurgy (cannons!) Program of starvation/settler building begins.
          --City of Hangchow espied.
          --Hut in distant west provides a new oupost -- Toe Jam.
          --Having read the rules, we sell Aqueduct in Tientsin.

--Babylonians finish Magellan's expedition at Lagash. Carths abandon.
          --chinese decide they prefer Monarchy.
          --French caravel sinks our empty trireme.
          --Pop reaches 6.17 MM.
          --Meet Carth Explorer in western wilderness. We chat. They show one lonely spear, demand gunpowder. We fart in their general direction. They declare WAR!
          --Deep south dip tips hut, finds advanced tribe of Guttersnipe.
          --Leo's Workshop in Hangchow is estimated to be about 6-8 moves SW of Hangchow.

--Income now 408/urn. Research hovers around 32 turns.
          --Temple, dip, camel, barracks, a couple transports, 3 settlers built.
          --Hangchow revolts for 600 GP (24 back, plus 80 for aqueduct sold). contents include 3 muskets (1 ver!), settler and a cannon.
          --Chinese chat. We grant CF. Then we attack! Rep remains Poor...
          --Tatung (8) revolts for 472-16, provides 3 more muskets, a cruc and a settler.
          --We chat again. another Cease Fire.
          --Our ironclad kills chinese musket, turns vet.
          --Finally, we are DESPICABLE!!!
          --Coal (d), Bongwater to Changdu, 115. Spice, Nishapur to Chengdu, 44. (Hey, Chengdu is size 11!!! Must reduce to 8!!! Damn.)

--Beijing starves (-1) and completes Settler (-1). Now down to size 2. One more round should do it...
          --Brib carth Explorer. maye he can help expose western map for us...
          --Macao revolts for 174gp, 7 back.
          --Boats begin convergence on Xinjian. Plan is for naval attack to empty city, then land troops by trireme to take possession.

OK, that's enough... we're at 6.90 MM ppl, 58 cities. There's 1,084 GP in the bank.

Successor is required to do the following, by rule:
          1. Complete the destruction of Beijing to move 2 move WoWs into the Red Zone.
          2. RB setts in Chengdu and Hangchow to get them down to Size 8.

Comment

• THE DESPICABLE SAVE

Some quick notes...

Though not logged, you'll find 3 triremes heading east along the northern wasteland. They are nearing Aztec lands with a goal of simply exposing more map surface.

Western exploration is more aggressive -- a non-chained (read: not organized in any way) armada of caravels and transports -- some laden, some not -- is about to reach virgin territory. You'll find some camels, some dips, and a few sacrifical units on board. (One should pick up the bribed explorer, who should be set loos on the first available landmass.)

--Mea culpa for not noticing that Chengdu was oversized until too late to knock it down to size 8. If I'd noticed, we'd have more settlers creating a transport network on Chinese land.

--We have a lot of Settlers building RR on the mainland. It's slow going, and several are working alone. This is not optimal, but the travel time to conjoin them seemed wasteful as well. Instead, they are "working toward" each other.

--The shipchain is not yet optimized, but we now have nearly enough boats to make it happen. My vision was for a two-part chain -- one of transports, the other of ubiquitous caravels -- from our mainland to China.

--If we can manage it, timing the capture of Leo's in Nanking after Explosives/Engineers is discovered would be optimal. Not sure this can be done in the next turnset, but possible if enough camels are delivered.

--Once Beijing is down, we should build one (or two) cities on its site, which is fully irrigated and mostly roaded.

Playing without WoWs and without big cities is a challenge. Trying to remain Despicale is actually something of a challenge (esp. with La Tour Eiffel in place).
            Kudos to OnS for this game!

Here's the zipfile...
            Attached Files

Comment

• -J, as far as I recall from the rules, you don't have to reduce conquered cities to size 8, but you do have to sell their aqueducts and sewer systems straightaway after capture. The cities that we take must only be destroyed if they hold wonders, but all of the non-wonder cities can be left to fester and drown slowly in their own filth and squalor. (ie, they can't grow any more)

Comment

• Well, if that's true, I've done OK. I started converting food workers to taxmen, and it works a treat. sort of like xinning without control...

Comment

• Re: Desppicable!

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  --Aztecs and Chinese sign Beijing Pact. CF with Chinese expires.

--Depsite breaking CF, our reputation remains Poor.
                  Did I miss something??

Now, playing dirty seems interesting...
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

• Sounds good Bunnyman ...

If STYOM remains MIA - LaFayette!
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Re: Re: Desppicable!

Originally posted by Cyrion
                      Did I miss something??

Now, playing dirty seems interesting...
                      Not sure what you're asking, Cyrion...

1. There was an interim chat and a new CF with China shortly after the old one expired.

2. It appears that, even when breaking a Cease-fire, you don't necessarily drop in reputation when holding Oracle. I had to do a sequence of CF-Attack-CF-Attack in the same turn to go from Poor to Despicable!

I'm guessing this is not true when breaking a peace treaty, but I doubt we'll be offered any of those during the rest of this game!

Comment

• Ah -- The Oracle -- 'tis a powerful Wonder is it not?

Slight typo I think -Jr

Stu
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                          Slight typo I think -Jr

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Desppicable!

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

1. There was an interim chat and a new CF with China shortly after the old one expired.
                            Exactly what I was asking: I had missed your 72 chat and consecutive CF: sorry...

Next time I try taunting you, I'll make sure I know what I'm speaking about...
                            Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                            Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                            POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                            LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

• JR, I think SG is noting that you meant Eiffel, not Oracle.

Comment

• JR

Great set of turns and a rockin log. Kudos and thanks!!

This is becoming a very dirty piece of work.

Monk
                                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                                X