Building obsolete units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building obsolete units

I do not know if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed that is is possible to keep building obsolete units while playing my latest game. For example, as long as no changes are made to what kind of unit is being built by a city, it can keep building that kind of unit even after it has become obsolete.

Being able to do this may have more than just nostalgic value if Leonardo's has been built. For example, even after the discovery of Gunpowder, a city putting out 10 shields could keep building warriors every turn, which will be updated by the wonder into musketeers. The key is for the city to be building a warrior on the turn Gunpowder is discovered, and to NOT change what it builds afterwards. I can imagine that a 20 shield city would work nicely with horsemen, too, allowing cheaper production of knights, etc.

I haven't tested this, but I think cities that are able to do this must be founded AFTER the city that builds Leonardo's.
    Last edited by solo; December 30, 2003, 12:03.

...so build Leos in your first city?

Comment

This used to be a staple technique for me. I don't think it depends on the date of city-building; I think all of your cities can do it, so long as they were building that kind of unit when the unit became obsolete and they don't change to building anything else. Can't go back.

Comment

Solo - my recollection is that the warrior trick only works until you discover feudalism, at which point production is automatically upgraded to pikes, then muskets the following turn. I don't think it works at all for horses; production is upgraded to knights automatically.

Comment

DaveV,

Thanks for your reply. I just tested this and your recollection is confirmed. Feudalism causes the automatic upgrade, by supplying the missing link in the upgrade chain.

Comment

Right. That's why I don't do this much anymore, because I've come to like Sun Tzu better.

Comment

In some MP rules set, this trick has been banned.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

frigging newbie. this is old hat. Next thing we will hear you jabbering about how nukes are good for sea warfare. Frigging Groundhog Day.

Comment

Now now, be nice. We need to keep replenishing the MP pool of players. You don't want to scare them away.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ok...but it was such a sucker pitch. I had to hit it...

Comment

Yeah, I guess so.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It brought back pleasent memories...of 1996!

Comment

1996 ?
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

addicted site...

Comment

Ahhhhhh. When you get to my age, it's hard to remember last week let alone that long ago.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X