No announcement yet.

Imperialism 1870 v2.0 PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rather not mess with my executable files. I vote for banning tech trade, or limiting it.
    David Disraeli
    Economic Minister of Israel and former Prime Minister. Founding Member of One Israel, Exodus Democracy Game

Comment

I agree with PinkyGen.

Would the 1/5th tech also mean 1/5th of money?
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by PinkyGen
        I would rather not mess with my executable files. I vote for banning tech trade, or limiting it.
        1. It wouldn't mess with your executable at all; I'd email you a second file that you'd only use for this PBEM. It would have NO effect on your original files.
        2. Be sure that this 'undisclosed character' and I will extensively test the file to make sure it won't cause any problems.

Originally posted by germanos
        Would the 1/5th tech also mean 1/5th of money?
        No, the money is determined by a different equation.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Playing the game SP, you can still move through the tech tree very quickly just through using Mfg Goods, so if there's a guarantee that it won't crash the game, as Exile warned, I'm willing to try out what Darius proposed, but cutting the amount to 1/5 is probably a bit steep. Also this would change the amount of gold received too right?

Also, tech trading between countries is sort of what's going on when you get the beaker bonus for making a trade route, it represents the diffusion of knowledge through contact with other nations. Even though it does give you bonuses toward techs that no one else may have

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJKirk
            Also this would change the amount of gold received too right?
            As aforementioned, the money is determined by a different equation than the one being altered.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Right, but I didn't notice the third page until after I posted

Comment

Re: Well . . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
                To begin with, you gentlemen have far more experience than I do with MP.
                Well, thank you
                You'll have to use your own judgement about tech trading. I allowed this in the game because it certainaly did occur historically. The key here is restraint. Something very few avid gamers seem to recognize. ...But the conclusion that, if everyone goes nuts w/tech trading the result will be that everyone zips through the tech tree by 1875 . . . is valid. That can certainly happen. But then, maybe that's what would have occurred--a global war well before the historical outbreak of WWI
                I couldn't agree more

Alternately, it would be a simple matter to greatly increase the cost of the Mfg Goods unit... The reason I made these units so inexpensive was that I wanted them built. Lots of them... Here again, the hard-coded limitations of the program place a ceiling on the numbers available.
                Personally, having witnessed the huge revenue these units bring (especially in the science department) I would still produce them in huge quantaties if their cost would have been trippled
                But, as I have noticed the cost for certain units and improvements has been greatly increased, things might balance out more in this version. I have not playtested this version (I'll do playing this PBEM ), but I would rather increase the cost for trade-units then mess with the executable. It won't stop me from building them

In a MP game, the conferences could have an entirely different purpose--to limit tech trading.
                That's up to us guys Let's make this an interesting game. Limits, a ban, free for all? Betrayal of the benefactor? We still need some votes.

The Barbs in version 2 are VERY much more powerful than in version 1. Additionally, they appear at random in various places and run amok. IIRC, playing at King level does not increase any numbers, but playing at Prince level decreases numbers. This might not be advisable. Also, playing at King gives the unrest numbers that I intended. However, these unrest numbers could be altered and then the Prince level of play could be maintained. My own advice is not to play at Prince.
                I noticed that in previous version the barbs don't actually build units (eventhough they are supposed to). Is that normal? (I never bothered about barbs much before I started to play scenario's in PBEM, so forgive me my ignorance)

Oh, and thanks Exile for your great work
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

The barbs are definitely more active in this version. They even start with some Cannons.
                  There are still alot of event-supplied barbs, but usually it's just one weak units that runs around and gets killed attacking something, no big deal. But (as the Germans) the Zulu War event did cause me to lose me 20000 gold when I gave into their demands so they didn't sack Bloemfontein, and I lost Dar Es Salaam at one point too. Definitely better than last time

Also, if you want to see about barb unit creation, here's Madagascar, as you can see they overran Diego Suarez (actually they did twice) and have just multiplied ever since.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok, well John Doe is working on the .exe file as we speak, I need to know whether to tell him nevermind. What's everyone's final position on an edited .exe (knowing that John and I will test it beforehand)?

conmcb25:
                    Germanos:
                    Darius871: For
                    JamesJKirk:
                    Pinkygen:
                    academia:
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

I can put the .exe in a different folder than in my regular civ2 directory, and still have it work? Cause otherwise I don't want to constantly change it back and forth whenever I load this PBEM.
                      David Disraeli
                      Economic Minister of Israel and former Prime Minister. Founding Member of One Israel, Exodus Democracy Game

Comment

The .exe could probably just as likely have a name different than civ2.exe and still function.

At this point, I'm leaning towards FOR, but I'd like for you to keep us updated with your tests, Darius.

Comment

Against
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I don´t know what the hell are you talking about. I´ve never had problems with the executable files
                            Do whatever you want. i have faith in you guys
                            South Atlantic Conflict v1.2 - Civ II Scenario
                            Iron Curtain v1.1 - Civ II Scenario

Comment

I'm against messing with the .exe file.

Comment

JamesJkirk, you're up.
                                David Disraeli

Comment

Working...
                                X