This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAH rules VI: No Spamming!

I doubt the title will work though . Anyhow, due to a lack of raiders and pings from poddable players in TDZK ( ), here's another new thread. New readers that missed the first five threads may want to skim them, as they help illustrate how these rules have evolved, though you'll have to wade through a bunch of spam, especially in the later threads . The links are in part 6 of this post. Settings are listed first, followed by what's not allowed and allowed, some quotes from rah on how the rules got started, a brief glossary, and some reference threads for additional reading.

1. Settings
    Level: Deity
    Barbarians: Raging Hordes
    Production: 2x
    Movement: 1x
    Map size: 39x49 for 4 player, 37x47 or smaller for 3 player (map size varies, the only consistent factor is TINY ROCK)
    Landmass: Large
    Landform: Continents
    Climate: Wet
    Temp: Cool
    # of Civs: 4 (ideal, 3 if necessary), no AI
    Time limit: None
    Huts
    Turn-based

2. Special stipulations
    2a. Not Allowed: Taking too long on your turn without good reason, Stealing Shields (see section 5.), unsinkable boats and non-crashing aircraft, contact with ai (see below), city bribes (see below), alliances, wonder trading, unit teleporting (includes caravans), tech trading, blatant cheats (map peeking, non-unit creation, sabotage proofing, cheat-o-matic, lag-related cheats, etc.), caravan re-homing, selling improvements/disbanding units after losing the city/unit, building the Great Wall in games of 3 players or less, hard feelings.

Contact with AI - One more addition when someone drops and the AI takes over. You many not initiate contact and you must refuse all contact with the AI.

NO city bribe - If the barbs take a city, you OR anyone else may bribe it. BUT, If someone drops out of the game and the AI takes over, and bribes one of your cities. Only the person that owned the city may bribe it back, since it normally shouldn't have been bribed in the first place. AND others should refrain from conquering the city until the original players has taken back control.

2b. Allowed: Incessant whining (see below), automated settlers, unit bribing, incremental buying, black clicking, tech stealing agreements, trade agreements (to allow caravans to be delivered), all other player arrangements (any agreements can broken when advantageous), all wonders (Great Wall is only allowed in games with 4 or more players, other wonders may be banned in duels on player agreement, also see below), pre-worked settlers, clearing settler orders (to increase their productivity), selling improvements/disbanding units before losing the city/unit, diploguiding, Scouse Gits' Magic Hut Finder Program (see below).

Incessant whining - mandatory while enjoying superior starting position with multiple trade specials, especially to annoy those less skillful. Optional at all other times.

In event of a player disconnecting in a 4 player game and not returning, the Great Wall may still be built.

The Hut/Special Finder - don't use it during your turn!

2c. Other: Restart on Artic Start (see section 5.), restart when host gets techs, try not to penalize player drops (reloading if necessary). Upon reloading a save which is prior to the player dropping, all players should recreate their moves to the best of their ability. Airbases, allowed only as real airbases, not allowed in city radius nor allowed to build a line of them to block air lanes. Upgrading warriors to muskets upon discovery of gunpowder is allowed, but further production of warriors after the discovery is not allowed.

3. rules.txt Modifications: Oracle expires with Industrialization.

4. Origination of (as posted by rah)
    They are not called RAH rules because I made them up. They have just evolved over time with the group that we play with. The only reason they are called that is because in the early day's i had the fastest machine and a cable modem, therefore, I usually hosted. And they know the name annoys me
    [and more from another thread]
    Sounds like our early games with XIN, right after MP came out. We all cheated, trying to figure out what we could do. Every 30 minutes or so, XIN would say, found another one. It was always hilarious. After a couple of months we started to discuss which ones we would allow and which ones were banned. That was the beginning of "RAH" rules.

5. Glossary - definitions provided by: Ming, Scouse Git[1], rah, smash, Xin Yu.
    Artic Start - defined by starting on the artic with no accessibility to the main continent within 3 squares of your opening position.
    caravan re-homing - unlike normal units you cannot hit the 'h' key to change the home of a caravan - however the 'support from this city' option is available from within the city screen - this has led people to believe that rehoming is not an intended feature and hence is a cheat -- the advantage -- imagine all your caravans - even those produced by a poxy 2-city - being rehomed to your size 24 SSC and sent - well anywhere you like!!!
    the cheat-o-matic - is a tsr that allows the game parameters to be changed on the fly while the game is running.
    diplo-guiding - using a diplomat or spy (or other unit that ignores ZOC) to lead other units through an enemy's zones of control.
    disbanding units - disbanding units in anticipation of losing the unit to bribery is allowed so long as it's done before the bribery occurs.
    non unit creation - Move a unit from the city that it is homed to, to another city. Now this requires good timing. Open the screen to home it to the new city. Now wait till the machine is switching over to your turn, quickly press the homing selection. If you catch it right, the unit will not home to the new city but become a non-unit.
    pre-worked settlers - You start a settler working on something, (like transforming grassland to forest, anything that takes longer than a turn)
    Now before he finishes, clear the command. THe turns that he spent working are "saved up" the next command you give him, (if you planned it right) will allow it to be completed in one turn. Hence the term, "pre-worked". This was more useful in 1x1x games for fortress building. In 2x1x games a fortress can be built in one turn, so it's not as critical. BUT it still has many uses. Let's suppose you're sending a settler out to convert some terrain. But barbs pop up so you hold him
    near a city for a turn to clear out the barbs. He can start his task and move out later without wasting any time overall.
    Sabotage proofing - is similar [to non-unit creation]. when a diplo approaches your city, open the build queue and make ready to buy the item. When the diplo sabotages production, The shields that you had will still be in the box. Buy it up. No lose of shields.
    Selling improvements - Selling an improvement in anticipation of losing a city to enemy attack is allowed as long as the sale is conducted prior to the loss of the city.
    Stealing Shields - Suppose you have several cities close to one another. If you have all units stationed in these cities hosted by the first of which (in establishing sequence), maybe you can save the maintainance shields for them by re-host units while processing cities. Here's a demonstration. You have 3 cities A B C, in which A is your first city. All of your units in cities B and C are hosted by A. You rush build non-military units or buildings in B and C so that at the beginning of the next turn you'll be sent to city screens of B and C. While in city screens, you re-host units inside cities to B and C, respectively. Since B and C are processed before A, you save the maintainance shields for those units. You then move units in B and C back to A and re-host them before moving back, so that you can save again the next turn. Use of this trick to produce wonders in the same turn as discovering the requisite tech is also disallowed.
    Unit teleporting - During your turn, you can move a unit... then gift it to your partner. He then gives it back to you and you can move it again in the same turn. Repeat... You can have unlimited movement. Really nice when you want to move a diplo in on some city.
    Unsinkable boats - its done by just moving 2 spaces [or 1 less than its available movement], press W(wait) and using the end turn keyboard shortcut. Same techinque that is used to keep missiles and planes aloft forever if you want.

6. Reference threads
    Xin Yu's FoA Thread - Xin's role in the development of disallowed exploits.
    A couple of thoughts - More Xin
    Settings Preferences thread - rah posts up rah rules, and the origination of such rules.
    RAH rules: Description and Origination of - the first thread.
    RAH rules: The Continuing Evolution - the second thread
    RAH rules: The Neverending Saga - the third thread
    RAH rules: The Rules Keep Rolling On - the fourth thread
    RAH rules V: Attack of the Ferrets - the fifth thread.
    CHEATS (ver 3.0) Hosted by Ming - Ming's great big list of cheats.
    Scouse Gits' Hut and Special Finder 1.4 - It's all SG(2)'s fault, may he RIP.
    The current setting up IP games thread - where most of the proponents of RAH rules find games, including the infamous rah himself!
    Last edited by ColdWizard; March 19, 2009, 22:31.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

I think we came to a decision on clearing settlers of work every turn to double their efficiency. (allowed)
    It's slightly different from preworked settlers and should probably be added seperately.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Added
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

And a WARNING...

The title says... NO SPAMMING. And it WILL BE enforced.
        If this turns out like the previous thread, some people will be looking at some PCR's.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The other night, atawa used Xin's civ manager. He must have needed more practice with it be he wasted 140 shields at one point.
          But it raises the question, should it be allowed. Normally I would say no problem, but I thought I would open it up for discussion first. I figure if it might speed up the game and might make someone waste 140 shields, I have no problem with others using it.

RAH
          Note: it hasn't been tested in MP games that I know of as of yet. This weekend was the first time I've heard it was used in one.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It was the first time used it too, should have read the manual I guess. Now I lost the 140 shields for my early wonder

But I studied it a bit more and it generaly saves times micromanaging. (Once you get used to it)

Comment

I take it that you would be inclined to have it be allowed then?
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Can somebody provide a link and a "short" explaination of what it does besides blow 140 shields
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And there is no such thing as a short explaination when you're dealing with Xin. The first post in the thread gives a thorough explanation.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                    should have read the manual I guess.
                    Is there a manual/readme?
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I take it CIV II MP is better the CIV 3 play the world?? I have not tried it but it sounds like you guys are still hooked on civ 2 mp.

Comment

Yes, I tried PTW and it didn't have the same feel.
                        CIVII MP STILL ROCKS>
                        But Ming would want this discussion in another thread.
                        You should stop by an play for old times sake.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Reading these rules reminds me of how litle I know of Civ II. Thanks for turning up the interest. I'm gonna try all of those things that are disallowed, since I didn't even know you could do it.

If this is spam just remove it if you can. and sorry.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well I've played RAH rules, and I must say I'm not impressed.

The settings discourage warfare and make things way too damn defensive. With 2x production and no city bribe all cities get built on mountains and become extremely difficult to take. I think this is just the reason city bribe was invented for.

In the game I played I was the only one attempting to attack. Rah and Berz just sat back comfortable in the fact they couldn't be touched and built themselves up. Thus describes the 8 hour building game I played a few weeks ago.

Now I'm not whining cause I lost, I came in second on the power graph and if we had time to actually finish the game I may have squeaked out a win (maybe). But the pace of the game was very slow, plodding, and defensive.

2x doesn't speed the game up at all, it just changes the nature of it. Allowing cities built on mountains to become size 8, greatly reducing the need for irrigation, and so on. Trust me, the 8 hour game I played did not go quickly because of 2x.

Not to say I totally didn't like the game, I'd probably play again some time. But that probably had more to do with the quality of the players rather than the settings.

I make a formal request for adjustment of RAH rules to either change settings to 1x1x (prefered) or allow bribe of mountain and hill cities.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Hmm, change my formal request to a formal gripe.

I guess if y'all really like these settings its not my place to request you change them after playing in only one game.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X