The New World (cont...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure I follow completely.

We had a LONG debate about this whole double move thing a few months ago.

Until the programmers engineer an in-game solution to address the problem, we either have to self police ourselfs, or just ignore the exploit and allow it.

My hope a few months back was to set some rules for self policing, but it was regarded by some as "too restrictive".

I think the answer is that the "Double move" is addressed before the game starts. That way, if people do not agree on how it is being handled they can opt out of the game entirely.

As it stands with this game, I believe we agreed no double moves to initiate war... otherwise they are allowed.

Personally, I think it needs to be rigorously policed, as it is a pretty major exploit. A game should be decided by stratagy... not login time.

Comment

• first move done _after_ an enemy's turn, even when person actually had finished his turn by pressing enter _before_ the enemy
      Wait a second, i think i understand now...

Do you mean PlayerA finishes their turn, waits until PlayerB moves, then logs back in and moves more stuff?

THAT is underhanded... although alas we did not address this exploit at the begining of the game, and therefore is permitted.

My advice would be to fight fire with fire... if you catch my drift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinchak
        Do you mean PlayerA finishes their turn, waits until PlayerB moves, then logs back in and moves more stuff?
        Exactly.

EDIT: ...and after that, next turn, PlayerA moves again before PlayerB.
        Last edited by uniteatteri; June 19, 2007, 15:42.
        Railroading since 2008.

Comment

My advice would be to fight fire with fire... if you catch my drift.
          Well, the Aztecs are now controlled by Rhoth, so he'll do the fighting from now on

I was playing 3 pitbosses; in 2 of them I played poorly, and I'm eliminated in the other one, and crushed beyond any hope in the other. Also I'm having a vacation soon, so this was a good moment to back away from all pitbossing. Recent happenings in this game also helped me to decide to quit. Playing this just doesn't feel fun at all anymore.

Good luck all. Play hard and fair.

Crush them all, Rhoth!
          Railroading since 2008.

Comment

• and after that, next turn, PlayerA moves again before PlayerB.
            Wow... pretty cheap.

Then again, I have a hard time faulting someone for using every advantage at their disposal. All in all it is probably my fault more than anything for leaving rules concerning such exploits non-existant at the start of the game... then very ineffective when I tried to address it at a later time.

Well, when this one is over I'll host another... and these issues will be address in black and white before the game starts.

So hurry up and kill each other off quick!

Comment

• As you wish, master...

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

• Gamespy rebooted like the whore it is.

Game is back up now.

Comment

• Gamespy
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I went backpacking in Dolly Sods, WV for a few days,

Back now... had a great time. First night it stormed BAD while we were camped at 3900 feet. One of the strikes took down a tree about 50 yards from where we were.
                    Keen hiker here. Looking up the area. The storm sounds like it was ... er .. interesting.
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

So hurry up and kill each other off quick!

Sorry for taking so long to check in here folks. I missed the entire debate, and to be honest, not sure what to say or add. Need to think about this for awhile. Pin is right though, we debated this long and hard at the start. The new wrinkle is the move after EOT is hit.

Maybe we should stick to pbem's. No! No! No!
                      Last edited by Beta; June 21, 2007, 22:34.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Hey can whomever is running this game set me up so I can register my civ in Civstats? I'm pretty sure Uni doesn't want it back.

Thanks.

Comment

• Beta: Yes, Dolly Sods is a backpackers paradise. Definatly check it out if you find yourself in that area. Matter of fact... let me know and maybe ill go with ya!

The time before last we hiked Blackbird trail up in the sods and got caught in a bad thunderstorm while in a field on top of a mountain! I literally laid facedown in mud praying for half an hour till the storm passed... yes, it was that intense. Considering half of us were using external metal frame packs... the chance of getting hit was VERY real.

Roth: Not sure how to do that, but i will look into it.

Comment

• Thanks Pinchak. I know one way, but it's only useful if I've already played my turn. You have to switch over to AI for a moment, and then I'll take over the Civ free and clear. Then I'd need the password for logging in on Civstats.

BTW, the game is not showing up on Gamespy right now.

Comment

• So is Aro even playing in this game anymore? He hasn't played his turn for at least as long as I've been playing, and probably longer.

Any chance of getting a replacement or turning him into an AI?

Comment

• He posted a few days ago at general Civ4 forums, but he has not played for a very long time.
                                Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Working...
                                X