No announcement yet.

The New World (cont...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uni is right... I couldn't log it either at that time.

I obviously can't be sure what happened, but IMHO 8 hours is not enough in that kind of situation.

One should always realize that people often sleep 8 hours and as we live in very different time zones, we often are sleeping / at work when you have the prime "game time".
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

I just edited my previous post, there were around 3 hours (not 8), because of the reload.
      Railroading since 2008.

Comment

NYC was razed well before that. You played your turn on the 15th, as did I earlier that day, then late on the 15th or early on the 16th the turn rolled over. I played my turn sometime after that, and then logged in again late on the 16th showing 3 hours left (my post #67).

Not sure what happened after that, but it was certainly up for that period (and although it's possible it could've gone down between me playing it just after you played your turn, and the new turn 1070, it's unlikely as it would have had to have been brought up again; and the timer seemed about right when I logged in again.)

It must have gone down sometime later on the 16th, but I couldn't speak to that as I was at work all day.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by proviisori
          Uni is right... I couldn't log it either at that time.

I obviously can't be sure what happened, but IMHO 8 hours is not enough in that kind of situation.

One should always realize that people often sleep 8 hours and as we live in very different time zones, we often are sleeping / at work when you have the prime "game time".
          8 hours is 1/3 of the entire turn, and that's as much as i'm willing to give here... I usually on work days have only 2 times I can play my turn, and they're 8 hours apart. Thus 8 hours will have to be what it is. I would have had to have risked missing the turn (I checked as soon as I got back, and there were only 3 hours left; and it seems to have gone down during that period as well) in order to not have played that turn.

Comment

If NYC was razed well before that, how on earth I would have had _more_ time to counter your double?

You also moved your force's first moves _after_ you had pressed enter, I don't know if this is right either.

Anyway, if it's necessary to login 3 times in 24 hours at 8 hour intervals, this game isn't for me.
            Railroading since 2008.

Comment

I PM'd Rhoth to fill in for me.
              Railroading since 2008.

Comment

And I accepted.

But, um, yeah, let's just leave me out of the discussions going on here since I have no idea what happened. Just let me know when I'm supposed to play and what your login is since I forgot it since last time I filled in for you.

Comment

I'll provide you with the info needed, after this matter under discussion is solved, to spare you from the extra trouble.
                  Railroading since 2008.

Comment

On a side note (since I have been eliminated from play already); After following the thread, I just have to say that I agree with Snoopy in principle.

Quite frankly, I think the entire problem with wartime "double moves" is just getting way out of control.

Mind you, this is only my own feelings on this. What I beleive is this:

War is on? - (use double-move "quasi-rules" when declared...no double moves)

Next turn is up and the person declared war upon is aware of the fact that WAR is on? - (Every man/woman for themselves)

Any complaints? - (War is hell, deal with it and move on)

Quite frankly, I beleive the "double-move rule" should only have an effect when WAR is first declared.

Once all parties have been informed of a wartime situation....how someone does or does not use their "playtime" is up to them. A player misses out in logging in their turn? To-bad, so-sad. Live and learn for the next round.

Simple and to the point.

Now I will duck back into the shadows of the spirit world.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• I didn't play the turn this morning, because we are waiting the results of the roll back poll.

When the game is reloaded, reset the timer to 24 hours so I can play the turn when I get home.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

• I tried making sense of both arguments... but it just gave me a headache.

The root of the problem is in the game mechanics, and the reliablity of gamespy (I assume it reset while i was away, since my wife has been warned about restarting the computer, and denies turning it off).

When I started the game up, there was 3 hours left on the timer, with snoopy being the only person who played a turn. With no notification to let the other players know the clock was once again ticking, I personally agree that a rollback is the most fair way to handle this.

Although both sides do have valid points, there is no easy fix... which is why I simply asked for a vote.

Rolling back.... hope I do this right....

*closes eyes, and slowly pushes the big red button...*

Comment

• Looks like you did what you were looking to do (reset to AD 1070) perfectly

Comment

• Yep, and snoopy again rushed first to move those units he had already moved after my last logout... and razed my city with a double move... The right thing to do is to roll back, and let me play my turn before snoopy moves those units he moved after my last logout (the units he moved after he had pressed enter).

That is the thing we are polling about, and you snoopy surely know that.
                            Railroading since 2008.

Comment

• The game went down with 3 hours left on the timer.

The game was reloaded to the same turn with 24 hours left on the timer.

Maybe I'm not seeing something, but with this new situation, Snoopy would only be able to play one turn, then have to wait a whole turn before the timer filpped again.

The reload was perfomed to address any problems that occured due to the unexpected shutdown/restart... not any issues that occured before the shutdown.

Although it is poor form, any "double move" action that happened before the shutdown is technically allowed. I believe our agreement months ago for this game was "no double moves at the start of a war", as opposed to "no double moves during a war".

Bottom line is that it is too hard to police, and therefore needs to be addressed on an honor basis, taking into consideration that sometimes people are forced into double moves based on their real life avaliblity.

Comment

• I'm writing down this PTBS rule, so next time this conversation isn't needed:

"A person using a loophole in the rules to make a war time double move (first move done _after_ an enemy's turn, even when person actually had finished his turn by pressing enter _before_ the enemy), is completely legal and honorable, even when it leads to razing an enemy city at the most crucial moments of the game."
                                Railroading since 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X