[PBEM]Civ4 PBEM #1: Classics (10/24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369

BF, I agree 80%. I fully intend to play any civ3 PBEM that looks like it's still going to complete; but i'm not sure i'm interested in playing games that are dying or just progressing very slowly.
    But, why ARE they progressing slowly? If it is solely disinterest then I spit in the face fo those that took on the responsibility to play such a game. A PBEM is not your typical FPS! One had to know what it was they were getting into when they signed up; 540 turns worth if I'm not mistaken. I feel like there are 50 PBEM's started for every one that is finished. Who is to blame for that? I say it is cetainly not Civ4's fault.

Comment

well said BigFree
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I think the problem tends to be that ONE person slows the game down a bit, and then the other people (some) lose interest in the game and then end up slowing the game down themselves ... also that in games that last 9 months at LEAST, it can be hard to know how busy etc. one may be in 3-6 months not to mention 9-12
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

A PBEM game could take up to 4.4 years to play. At 3 days per turn(a fast game) that would be 540*3=1620 days.

How many people think it takes less than that to play 540 turns? How many people quit/get bored/play slowly just because they think they can't win?

At 4.4 years to do 540 turns Civ 5 will be out before a Civ 4 game that takes 540 turns will end.

I'm not trying to point the finger at any one person, but the community as a whole has to step up a bit. How many times do people check their email and then let a PBEM game just sit there? The answer is to play it when you get it. If you get your email in a place where you can't play it, like work, then forward it to yourself so that you are reminded of it when you are at home and able to play.

OK, I'm done venting now.

PS I think snoopy is a pretty fast player.

Comment

I don't think i am a particularly fast player, but i'm not a particularly slow one either. But ... you can't always play a turn, is the problem. I have two days every week (in a row, of course) where I have about 10 hours from time-getting-home to time-leaving-home (from/for work+commute)... meaning I have 2 hours for eating, spending time with my girlfriend, and doing everything I have to do online. Of course, Civ gets left by the wayside on those days most times ...

I think Civ4 will be a faster game ... I hope. There's a reason I've pushed for AP in civ3 games, and the only one that i've played start -> finish was an AP game ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well there are going to be shorter versions of the game in CIV IV, I would hope folks would pick up on that and maybe just maybe we can actually finish some PBEM games.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

you can post my email addy

conmcb25~TA~bluemarble~TOD~net
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I check my mail every night from the PC that has (will have) Civ installed on it.

I'll be snappy with the turns, no worries

Hey Snoop, maybe you can add to the game breakdown when the people are going to have a copy of the game? I'm picking mine up on release day in the US.

I can just see it now... I'm monitoring my e-mail like a hawk watching for a turn to come in and meanwhile one of the players on our game doesn't even own the game yet
                  15 years of Civ addiction and counting.

Comment

Ok Im getting the game on release date, pre ordered thru EB Games in the States.

Comment

same here

only 15-20 minute round trip

Comment

any talk of set up folks?

map size-med
                        water ratio-lowest
                        difficulty-chieftan or warlord

what say you

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                          any talk of set up folks?

map size-med
                          water ratio-lowest
                          difficulty-chieftan or warlord

what say you

Comment

I'd like to see the game played at the 'fast' rate but without accelerated production.

Comment

I can do 1 turn a day mon-sat

sunday a little tougher

Comment

Originally posted by playshogi
                                I'd like to see the game played at the 'fast' rate but without accelerated production.
                                This isn't the "right" game for you, Snoopy already said he would be lax on the 24 hour rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X