Corporate Competitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate Competitions

Welcome to the discussion thread for a BtS PBEM!

People involved at this stage are (in alphabetic order) Beta, FeMme, GeoModder and RobWorham.

The options/preferences people brought forward sofar are:

City flipping after conquest ON
    No tech brokering ON
    Agressive AI ON
    Raging barbarians ON
    Choose religion ON
    Permanent Alliances ON

Map settings:

Shuffle (meaning the game chooses between continents, fractal, pangaea or archipalego)
    Large size
    Climate random
    Sealevel random
    Speed quick (330 turns on a large sized map)

Miscalleneous

2AI/human
    Crowded map
    BtS leaders only

At current suggestions, this would give us 12 civs, which allows for some ferocious real-estate gathering from turn one, and also allows us to choose between the 12 most interesting BtS leaders.

So, how does this look?
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Looking good
    Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
    The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
    Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
    Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Monarch difficulty ??
      Toroidal wrap ??
      Standard resources ??
      Random events ??
      All win conditions ??

Multiple instances of same leader/civ??

If not I think the choice order should be :

Geo (did most work setting this up), FeMme (ladies first (well second ), Beta, RobWorham (can't think of a reason why I should choose before Beta )
      Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
      Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
      Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by RobWorham

Geo (did most work setting this up), FeMme (ladies first (well second ), Beta, RobWorham (can't think of a reason why I should choose before Beta )
        Thank you dear sir!

I would be Ok with going last. Lots of leader choices these days.
        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Thanks for the set-up Geo. Just not sure about the quick setting. But to be honest, that is more ignorance than anything as I have never played a civ4 game on that speed.

I like the 2ai for each human player, as long as the limited tech trading is in place.

And Rob, I can still pick 3rd, but just tell me what civ you want and I won't pick it.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
            And Rob, I can still pick 3rd, but just tell me what civ you want and I won't pick it.
            How civilized we are!! I wonder how long it will last ...........

Comment

Yes, good work setting this all up Geo. Anyone would think you've been waiting eagerly for this since the last PBEM!!!

I too am concerned about the game speed. How set are you on that one Geo? I would prefer normal speed myself but am interested to hear what your reasoning is.

I'd be happy with adding all of Rob's setting suggestions to Geo's

Bring it on!
              Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
              Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

As on my proposal for quick play, I mostly did it because I thought the number of turns scaled up if larger map sizes were used. This seems not to be the case. Normal sized or large sized, the number of turns is still 500.
                Is everybody okay with a game that can potentially last 1,5/2 years? That was my other reason to go for quick speed. 330 turns gives a fair chance for finishing it in a year.

Monarch difficulty ??
                I can live with it, but have no specific preference for it. What do FeMme and Beta say?

Toroidal wrap ??
                Sorry, but this really doesn't rock my boat, and a normal globe map gives subs this extra nifty effect.

Standard resources ??
                Random events ??
                All win conditions ??
                Yes, of course.

Multiple instances of same leader/civ??
                I suppose this can't happen if we want only BtS civs&leaders ingame. I have to put them in manually to be sure no Civ4&Warlords civ are included.

Nobody objects for this play order? In addition I plan to put 2 AI's between every human player. Makes you calculate if for instance a hostile player will move his/her units before your allied AI civ does.

Are their any BtS civs/leaders that people feel overpowered and should be excluded? Take a look at the list below:

Abe Lincoln (America)
                Boudica (Celts)
                Charles de Gaulle (France)
                Darius I (Persia)
                Pericles (Greece)
                Suleiman the Magnificent (Ottoman)
                Hammurabi (Babylon)
                Justinian (Byzantium)
                Willem van Oranja (Dutch)
                Zara Yacob (Ethiopia)
                Charlemagne (Holy Roman Empire)
                Suryavarman II (Khmer Empire)
                Pacal II (Mayan)
                Sitting CattleBull (Native Americans)
                Joao II (Portugal)
                Gilgamesh (Sumeria)

Let's say everybody picks the four civs he doesn't want in and those which are mentioned most aren't in.

Does somebody feel we need an outside admin to preserve our passwords for RL-busy players? It was a reason WarOlords stalled from time to time.

And something optional: over at the Forum We Don't Mention here at 'poly I released an Ethnic Artstyles mod. It activates all the ethnic units that ship with the BtS disc but weren't xml'd yet. In addition I gave all artstyles their own sequence of city graphics. Nothing of the gameplay itself was altered, just the looks. A few more pics are in this post.
                What say thy all?
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

No particular preference on who shouldn't make the cut......

I do like that Ethnic Artstyles mod Geo - I'd be happy to run with it!!! Nice work

Comment

Sounds Interesting. Any room for another.

Other people have said the Dutch are a bit overpowered though.
                    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                      Sounds Interesting. Any room for another.
                      I have no objection to a fifth player, Hercules. But we do prefer people who, barring extreme circumstances, can deliver a turn/day, two days at the most. I remember from the good ol' SMAC days that you got a busy job for which you frequently needed to go abroad. Anything changed in that department?

Other people have said the Dutch are a bit overpowered though.
                      Darn, you spoiled my easy win now!

No particular preference on who shouldn't make the cut......
                      Well, we need to cut 4 of them, can as well pick those you don't want any player to pick.

Originally posted by RobWorham I do like that Ethnic Artstyles mod Geo - I'd be happy to run with it!!! Nice work
                      Thanks. Now let's wait on the verdict of the others.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well yes there's the odd week here and there still. Like I have a week in Oct. 8-14.

But if you have already planned this as a 4 person Pbem, that's OK. There's always Pitboss.
                        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

OK, lets kick ....

Abe Lincoln (America)
                          Charles de Gaulle (France)
                          Willem van Oranja (Dutch)
                          Sitting Bull (Native Americans)

Comment

Ethnic Art Styles

Monarch

Toroidal Map: don't really mind either way

Quick Speed: could be fun

Exclude for no particular reason:
                            Sitting Bull
                            Willem van Oranga
                            Lincoln
                            Darius I

Play order
                            Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                            Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

But if you have already planned this as a 4 person Pbem, that's OK. There's always Pitboss.
                              It was more or less planned as a 4 person PBEM, yes.
                              And if you would start a Pitboss game, I'll be glad to take a look and join if it looks interesting. Thing is if you host it you can always declare the game offline for the time you're gone.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X