X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Apolyton and in the game damnrunner, have fun time

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Hahah, he's more than demonstrated his potential in DoF. Tier 1 for certain.
    Well, it seems you know better than me who is who there.
    http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

Thanks Ozzy for the nice words. Still a bit uncertain if I join, as my game schedule is pretty full now

But the better the gaming crowd the more chance you guys can twist my arm.
      One person which would be excellent to join is Egypt (DoF). Still don't know who he is, but sure a formidable and chivalrous opponent.

So Metra: you get one clue: I am not Egypt..

Comment

I don't know of any ZoC mods. I think Dawn of Man or Rise of Mankind had one in it, but I'm not downloading 1GB to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by DNK View Post
          I don't know of any ZoC mods. I think Dawn of Man or Rise of Mankind had one in it, but I'm not downloading 1GB to find out.
          OK, thanks for the clue. I'll tell you what, I will check it out. If it seems one of those does have a Naval ZOC, then i will download the whole mod and see if i am able to separate the ZOC part. If I can... ( And again... you promise to play if I do), then i will try to integrate it.

@ damnrunner- Welcome. Glad you made it.

Comment

Oh and FYI, the "double" movement only applies crossing ocean. Once you get to the coastal areas or in the Mediterranean or Caribbean, movement of ships is normal.

Comment

I agree with DNK that it is not wise to implement that double move.
              Fighting against Egypt massive naval battles it is clear that the movement range is crucial for an interesting naval game.
              (we fought battles of 30+ battleships against each other).

Actually I wouldnt change a thing considering naval matters. And if you really must, then only change movement range of galleys, and triremes..
              Trade is the name of the game..

Comment

I couldn't tell from your last post Carthage... Are you signing up for this game? I only ask because I most of the discussion about trying to accomodate DNK(ZOCs and such), centers around the idea that he might actually play the game.

We played with this exact ship movement in DoE I, and it was fantastic... Couldn't imagine playibg without it TBH. In fact all the critical strategy in the game, at least the endgame, was centered around Naval tactics.

I think DoF is totally different TBH, because in DoF we were basically using a Map of the Mediterranean. That's nothing like an Earth Map. It was essentially Pangea, with an inland sea. Totally different dynamic for Naval tactics. But i can see how it was good for inland sea pangea though.. Smaller, more centralized body of water is good for short naval movement.

When you think about it, this Mod has both, because for Naval combat in the Mediteranean(which is what DoF is), we will have normal movement. It's only in the open ocean where the faster movement kicks in.

Comment

Ozzy... the next few turns will tell how hard this start is, I think

Really, I'm not ready to commit with or without ZoC added (and it might be impossible to add; I'm not sure it's worth the effort to look even). As an alternative for discussion... I'm going to attempt what I did in the DoE2 thread again. MP like this (2x for coastal tiles):
                  galley/trireme - 4
                  caravel - 5
                  galleon - 6
                  frig/priv - 6
                  sotl - 5
                  iron - 3(promo)
                  trans/battle/carrier/subs - 6 (promo)
                  destroyer/missile/stealth - 8 (promo)

(promo) means a free "coastal" promotion which negates the penalty. Basically, you get a good bump in MP for classical-ren ships while leaving modern ships reasonable and fairly untouched.

Also, double the amount of coastal tiles (2x from land, not 1x).

Consider adding +1 vis to oil ships.

Comment

I would like to join!

Comment

Another thing... When I was playing DoF, it seemed like the only substantial amount of Naval Warfare was between Egypt and Carthage, right? In DoE, the Naval Maneuvers often involved Ships from several Nations at a time, which was much more interesting IMO. Part of the reason was that for example, when Turkey invaded North America, France could get ships over there to join the Aztec and American fleets really quick. Another example was England sending ships to the straits of Gibraltar to break a French blockade of Turkey. All those complex Naval manuvering was possible because of the faster ships. I mean I'm sure that those epic battles were fun for Egypt and Carthage in DoF, but nobody else got involved. The ships were too slow, that's what i think.

@ DNK - I will look into your suggestion more closely when i wake up tommorow (its 3AM here), but just so I'm clear... you're still not sure whether you would play even with a change in ship movement right? I mean, what if you are Russia or China? It wouldnt matter as much then right?

@ Toni - Welcome! I was really hoping you would play
                      Last edited by Sommerswerd; March 18, 2012, 03:52.

Comment

Well, there's been a major naval component between me and Bulgaria as well, though technological differences have prevented it from being quite as considerable as with Egypt and Carthage (though they did succeed in razing 5 coastal cities in the first turn of the war, and we did do a bit of naval positioning before I managed to get my modern fleet into their waters - even then it's been a component, though we didn't have time to build up a proper invasion fleet to turn it into a real factor).

The only other wars in the game were in the far west, basically, and I don't know what they did over there...

Yeah, France could get ships over there in 1 turn. Making it 2 turns wouldn't have changed that, though.

Also, you could mod in naval bombardment of tiles (destroy improvements or attack troops). That would greatly increase the value of a navy in the game. I believe that used to be in Civ3 or 2, so it's not new to the franchise, and I have it modded into my SP games currently, so it's quite doable, though perhaps would be unwelcomed by others...
                        Last edited by DNK; March 18, 2012, 05:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Toni View Post
                          I would like to join!
                          Before signing up for new games you should pay attention to playing your turns in the games you are in.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well, there's been a major naval component between me and Bulgaria as well, though technological differences have prevented it from being quite as considerable as with Egypt and Carthage (though they did succeed in razing 5 coastal cities in the first turn of the war
                            Sure I don't dispute the possibility of there being a Naval component even with normal ship movement. However, faster ships make Navy more powerful, and thus more important, right?

The other thing to point out again, is that there is no difference in movement in a Mediterranean War in DoE (which used the same ship mod that DoB will use), and a Mediterranen battle in DoF, because its all coastal tiles, thus movement is Normal not double.

Another thing, is that the normal movement makes sense in a "smaller" map, (ie, a map that is an enlarged version of a smaller area). In DoF, the Map was only the Mediterranean, the map is of a smaller section of Earth, so it makes sense for the movement to be smaller... Just my perception of course

One last thought... You said someone razed 5 cities in the first turn of the War right? So then I am even less convinced that leaving the movement normal will have the effect you desire. IIRC, your concern centered around the idea that with double movement, your coastal cities would be too difficult to defend... Fleets could appear and raze multiple cities without you being able to react. But it seems that the same thing happened to you in DoF with normal movement right?
                            The only other wars in the game were in the far west, basically, and I don't know what they did over there...
                            Well I was in one of those, and the Naval aspect was basically Portugal coming out of nowhere and capturing 4 or 5 of my coastal cities without warning... again, this was with normal ship movement. So TBH, I just don't see how shortening the movement would protect you. You get ransacked from the sea regardless.
                            Yeah, France could get ships over there in 1 turn. Making it 2 turns wouldn't have changed that, though.
                            Now you're just exagerrating a little there. Even with the double movement, it still took a few turns to cross the Atlantic. I know you remember this cause you were Inca. I was attacking North America, and I was trying to wrap the war up in 3 turns because that was how long it would take for France to get their fleet over there to save the Americans. With Normal movement it would have been 6 turns instead of 3, and I would have conquered all of Aztec, and America by the time France got there . So fast movement basically saved the Americans in that one.
                            Also, you could mod in naval bombardment of tiles (destroy improvements or attack troops). That would greatly increase the value of a navy in the game. I believe that used to be in Civ3 or 2, so it's not new to the franchise, and I have it modded into my SP games currently, so it's quite doable, though perhaps would be unwelcomed by others...
                            OK so based on your comments up to this point, I'll just forget about the ZOC thing and try looking into this Naval bombardment thing... But again, if we leave movement Normal, and add Naval Bombardment, I dont see this addressing your concern of the safety of coastal cities... so I dont see the point?? Anyway, I will still look into it

Comment

Ahhh, I see I am being mentioned here as example.

Originally Posted by DNK

Well, there's been a major naval component between me and Bulgaria as well, though technological differences have prevented it from being quite as considerable as with Egypt and Carthage (though they did succeed in razing 5 coastal cities in the first turn of the war
                              Interesting thing is that I was not even the aggressor in this war, Turkey and Persia declared war at me.

And yes, the technology gap did not allowed for full-scale navy war in Black Sea this time as I was hiding from your destroyers and battleships and yet I managed to kill 5 of your workers, kept sabotaged the bridge to Tzarigrad trough the whole war and even kidnapped one worker in another sea operation and took him away to work in Russia

Also, I can assure you that the navy played almost decisive role in my war with Russia. At one point my fleet kept my invasion going and not forced to walk slowly in the open Russian steppe under attacks from their Knights and at another point my navy saved my army from destruction by bringing fresh reinforcements to the siege lines in the crucial moment. Also, the threat of my fleet lured the Russians in building massive ancient fleet to counter mine, while they should have been building land army, so at the end they had victory in the sea after 10-15 sunk triremes/galleys, but they did not lived long enough to enjoy their triumph, as my land forces were already unstoppable and their victorious fleet just died in the sea helpless when I took their last city

So yes, navy is nice, I like navies.

Comment

I find this very intriguing, though I have never played a modded MP game or a "diplo" game. It's also been awhile since I have started a game from the beginning and not just taken over a hapless civ for fun.

Seeing some of the talent here, I'd probably put myself in Tier 2 or 3, but I'd be happy with any start (hopefully with a civ I haven't played in MP yet).

Comment

Working...
                                X