No announcement yet.

Destruction of Foes (DoF) - Diplogame Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, pangaea. Not that I have any issues with a single landmass, but they can tend to be really dull maps with the typical, vanilla tile scatter where deserts, plains, lakes, and grasslands all exist side-by-side throughout. I feel like what makes real-world maps interesting is that they have distinguishing geographical characteristics, distinct and largish climate zones, and features (like the Himalayas or Andes or Sahara) that can strongly affect the political, economic, and military flow of the game. And, of course, there are issues with balance.

Ozzy seems to have done a top-notch job balancing the Earth map, so I'm sure he could balance a pangaea map as well, but the base map would be so dull and vanilla-typical that it'd be less than thrilling to play. And I've played a pangaea MP game before that went well, but in general I'd like something with a bit more spice.

Also, an 18-civ pangaea can really suck for people crammed into the middle and beset on all sides unless there are some really creative and well-placed terrain features like large mountain ranges, lakes, deserts, etc, that make for natural barriers/borders.

Suggest if Ozzy is going to edit a premade map script, he goes with perfectworld2 (easily customizable through python) or something like that which produces realistic landmasses, climate zones, tectonics, etc. These scripts tend to require more balancing/editing to be fair, but I think they'll be more interesting than vanilla scripts. You can get a pangaea out of them as well.

Comment

I will join!

Suggestion for map:
      Archipelago set at low sea level and big islands would result in several smaller landmasses.
      Navy wars would be cool?
      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

My map suggestion: Mediterranean.

1. Real world.
        2. We've never done it before.
        3. We've never done an inner sea map and could also accomplish the goal of cool naval wars.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

That would work well also, I think.

Comment

Updated Player List:

Robert Plomp
            2metraninja
            Dick76
            Toni
            deity
            St Jon - No Real World Map
            OzzyKP - No Non-Real World Map
            dot80
            EvaldsUrtans
            mzprox?
            Rakird
            PMBMaker
            DNK
            Timbi
            Calanthian
            LzPrst
            (I'm not counting England or Inca, even though they have posted here, I assume they already volunteered under their real name)

Map Options:

Mediterranean
            Archipelago set at low sea level
            Huge Pangaea with standard resources

(Other earlier map suggestions: Japan, Terra Huge ozzy-crafted map, Africa, Asia, Europe)
            Last edited by OzzyKP; March 3, 2011, 14:17.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Though if we have so many players, I might lean more toward Europe. We might have enough players to fill out the land adequately. Perhaps bring in some custom civs.
              Last edited by OzzyKP; March 3, 2011, 14:29.

Comment

All sounds good!

Map types sound good, excited to play!

Comment

I vote Mediterranean (or other inland sea map), or Pangaea. Also a continents one where we could colonize would be cool, thats always my favorite part.

Comment

Why this utter obsession with a 'Real World' Map? The current Diplo is being played on such a map so it is hardly something untried before.

I have played in a Mediterranean PBEM and quite frankly see little advantage in such a concept. If it is to be 'Real World' then it must be whole planet or you will end up with a 'death-match' on a flat map. Utterly surrounded; what chance do the Romans have? This is a non-tiered game so anyone could pull out a short straw and face a slow death from very early in the game. As for Panagea; it is an even worse recipe for a death-match which might suit a Rah Saturday Night game but hardly is likely to produce entertainment for a dozen people over a period of months.

If we have a 'Real World' map then let the players be spread across it with the natural resources as per the Real World. I think it would need to have Russia divided into its' old kingdoms and China could represent a problem as well. It is important to be fair to everyone, good or bad, and having large uninhabited continents that only a couple can reach early whilst others struggle with war from the start is no recipe for fun.

Most important of all is that with this number of players the map must be really big to give all a chance to establish themselves.

I have already stated my preference for no random events as well as no 'goodie huts' and I would like to add no barbarians to that. Random luck should not play a part in an MP game.

I still reckon that, real world or not, the map should be toroidal.
                    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                    - Anon

Comment

Why such utter contempt for the idea of doing a real world map?

Some of us are bored of playing the exact same kind of random map we've been playing for 5 years straight.

Comment

Indeed, Inca have already posted with "normal" name, not that Inca care much for anonymity.

Agree on no goodies/randoms. No barbs is okay. Inca are sick of dealing with barbs after playing current DoX on an entire continent alone. Barbs is also okay.

I think a large part of having an enjoyable MP game with so many people is multiple landmasses, geographical areas, and plenty of ocean so people don't get "trapped" inland between multiple powers. That and not a vanilla/BtS map script.

OT: if anyone wants to do a succession "PBEM" with Inca, let Inca know. Good way to prepare, and Inca expect we will talk (not in third person) a good bit about strategy. Inca are roughly monarch level player with many gaps in ability. Something like you take 5T, email me the save, I do 5T and email it back. Good strategy discussions in the mix also. Good way to see how another player tackles the same challenges. Prefer someone of comparable skill level so we can both gain, but of course a deity player is also welcomed (as are prince and lower players). Can do multiple people for the succession also.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca (DoE) View Post
                          OT: if anyone wants to do a succession "PBEM" with Inca, let Inca know. Good way to prepare, and Inca expect we will talk (not in third person) a good bit about strategy. Inca are roughly monarch level player with many gaps in ability. Something like you take 5T, email me the save, I do 5T and email it back. Good strategy discussions in the mix also. Good way to see how another player tackles the same challenges. Prefer someone of comparable skill level so we can both gain, but of course a deity player is also welcomed (as are prince and lower players). Can do multiple people for the succession also.
                          I am interested!

Comment

Okay. I will wait to see if any more are interested. A few days (I can always do multiple games with different people: I have the free time). If you like, we can also make it somewhat public, and post updates in this forum if that's okay. Or not if you prefer, just an idea. I'll try to not post about it more in this thread to keep things on topic.

Comment

mispost
                              Last edited by India (DoE); March 4, 2011, 14:53.

Comment

Offtopic, @ Inca:

I lost my reply to your PM due to post count, then I typed a new one and I don't think it sent? Let me know if you got it..

Comment

Working...
                                X