No announcement yet.

Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Organization Thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Ozzy's point about colonial wars is important. I'm fairly new to diplo but I remember reading in some guides or whatever that underneath the philosophy for some was the idea of colonial wars.

I think it went somethign like this. "Everyone builds their core cities in the old world. Its not on to capture or destroy these in any significant number. But there is a new world. There everyone races to build and expand. That territory is expendable. If you are losing a war (whether in the old world or the new) what you do is give up land in the new world. Thus old core cities are immune, but there are gains in war in the new world.

Its an interesting approach and I can see how it could work. But only if there is a new world! But there isn't - it is occupied. And it also makes everything about a rush for astronomy. So I can't see how this approach would work in this game.

Comment

• The "new world" was occupied.. by the natives.. yet it did not stop the Europeans to go and colonize there.
      Choking your rival has its benefits: '1 They can't choke you, 2, after a point they are no longer your rival because you grew much stronger. But in your place (I mean being an european power) I would make and keep peace with the others and concentrate on attacking the "natives" - Or allying with them -for the price-against an other European who wants to steal land.

Comment

• Ah but its many many years until your can meaningfully attack the natives, and if you are chocked down to two cities when your neighbours have four you will never get there. So the only option as you said is allying against Europeans who are stealing land. And the only point of such an alliance is to get the land which means cities.

Comment

• I agree that it's to long untill astronomy (Africa and Asia is still there though ). What I'm sayin' is it depends how strong the 'natives' would become compared to the Europeans. If somehow an euro power manages to get technological advantage He may be succesfull alone, and even other europeans should act against him in a form of colonial wars. If however the Natives have the advantage (same or better tech, but definately more cities so production) then the europeans should ally. Try to make the wars balanced even if you could just join the stronger side for an easy ride.

Comment

• Well, this is a diplo- game, but I think we all here are men enough and can handle losing from time to time. I think this was some of the reason behind the tier system - the strongs to tackle strong players, and the weak to be relatively safe and spared being neighbor with players his skill alike and we all to have stories to tell - the uber-conqueror to tell how he crushed his enemies, the builders to tell stories how they built glorious achievements spreading their culture, and the peaceful agricultural settled tribes to tell stories how they are being raided by warlike neighbors and how they repel them or scatter under the pressure.

Anyway, I think everything with the war will come smooth and natural when it comes to it.

By the way, if someone is interested, there is an old- fashioned "free for all" Earth18 pitboss waiting to be launched in CFC. We still need 6 more players to start the game.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=374061
            http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

• I'm unable to log in because I "can't connect to the player 'Pharao Tiu'". What causes this sort of thing?

Comment

• He is online and his firewall blocks you. Once he leaves the game you will be able to join.
                http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by 2metraninja View Post
                  He is online and his firewall blocks you. Once he leaves the game you will be able to join.
                  Actually, I think the game crashed while Pharao Tiu was logged in. The Play You Turn uploader has not connected in over 30 minutes either and Pharao has been logged in for over an hour at this point which seems unlikely this early in the game.

Comment

• Server crashed, apparently while Pharao Tiu was in. I'm not at home so there's nothing I can do right now.
                    @Egypt: did anything special happen?
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Game's up. I used Egypt's auto-save, so nothing is lost except the things that Egypt did before the crash.

Comment

• Quick question: I noticed that Egypt and Germany managed to upload pictures to the site, but when I try to click on Diplo gaming attachments, I get an error:

Database Error Database error
                        The Apolyton Civilization Site database has encountered a problem.
                        Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
                        * Open the apolyton.net home page, then try to open another page.
                        * Click the Back button to try another link.

The apolyton.net forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
                        How did you manage to upload anyway Egypt and Germany, where do you do it?
                        So I go, and do what I can ~ Dwight 'Diplo' Eisenhower

Comment

• Press "Go Advanced" just below the Quick Reply box. There you can click "Manage Attachments" where you can upload attachments and use them.

Comment

• Cool, thanks!
                            So I go, and do what I can ~ Dwight 'Diplo' Eisenhower

Comment

• neandor and gauls are technically at war.

whether fighting occurs is subject to three way negotiations.

current timer is alright for me.
                              The question of whether modern humans and Neanderthals mated when they encountered each other 40,000 years ago is highly controversial.

Comment

• Also, PYT is wrong. grunzen logged out ages ago.

Not sure if people can connect?
                                The question of whether modern humans and Neanderthals mated when they encountered each other 40,000 years ago is highly controversial.

Comment

Working...
                                X