No announcement yet.

Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Organization Thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I'm the one to blame for those plains Sorry!

I don't know why it would have an effect on global warming, but I recall the argument being twofold: natural realism (the Amazon doesn't have good soil despite a ton of rainfall, and that's why slash and burn farming practices are used on it since it can't support permanent farming due to the loss of nutrients) and historical realism (the Inca/Aztecs shouldn't be able to build up a 12-city empire capable of world domination since in reality that did not happen, and their lands should be ripe for colonization once the Renaissance hits).

I don't think the historical realism argument is completely valid if everyone starts at the same place in 4000BC, but it makes the game more interesting, especially for the land-hungry T1/2 players. I'm also thinking that hacking through a few dozen jungle tiles is growth stalling enough in itself, so maybe the Inca wouldn't have run away with it anyway. Good luck with that, HC.

Comment

(the Inca/Aztecs shouldn't be able to build up a 12-city empire capable of world domination since in reality that did not happen, and their lands should be ripe for colonization once the Renaissance hits)
      I cant bet on that, but I read somewhere that when London was some 50000 town with mud streets, the capital of Inca was 1000000+ citizens. The Inca empire consisted of 12-20 millions people at their greatest extent by what I remember.
      http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

You are indeed correct. At their peak they spread from what is now southern Colombia down into northern Chile. In the west all of what is now Bolivia was theirs' as well as a fair bit of Brazil. The Inca were far more than just a 10-12 city empire!
        “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
        - Anon

Comment

Some help please. I have made a first 'story' post as you can see but it is a picture file and displays very small.
          I used the attachments download manager to upload from the pc and besides being small it only displays if you are logged into Apolyton. Everyone else doesn't have this problem it seems.
          The question of whether modern humans and Neanderthals mated when they encountered each other 40,000 years ago is highly controversial.

Comment

I'd rather have plains as a start then jungle. At least your citizen are now not sick for the first 4000 years.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The only thing worse is getting both plains AND jungle...

Comment

Oh, hush. You could be limited to nothing but mountains.

Comment

You have plains AND jungle? wow...

Comment

Ah crap... I think we need to restart. It looks like the change to allow cities two tiles away from each other wasn't undone. Sorry guys.

Hmm, I looked at the mod though, and can't find that bit in there anywhere... I'm not sure what is going on...
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ah, bad luck.

I guess if you are right that there is a mistake, its better for us to just bite the bullet, sort it, and get started again. Frustrating but we are only on turn 3. These things happen.

Comment

Do some people have different versions of the mod? I don't see how this could happen.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well, RP, I can only see a few tiles so far, and some are still grassland. Exploration time...

Also, I thought we were canning goodie huts. Just got a map...

of the Pacific
                          Better than barbs

So we're keeping them in then?

And, yeah, I don't see anything in my mod folder that would alter city placement. Strange if that's happening.

Comment

How people can tell do they can settle 1 tile of each other without having second settler? In Europe? So close already?
                            http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

Yea, that close already. I was the one who contacted Ozzy to let him know. France moved their settler instead of building at their starting location, and are now just two tiles away from London. Something is somehow not working right.

Comment

Let's first figure out why it's working like that.....
                                It must be the mod!

Comment

Working...
                                X