Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellisarius looked in confusion at the message his informers in the Russian/Persian camp brought him.

A Persian lesser Guru left Media for a special mission.
    A mission that would turn the fate of the Byzantines.

Guru Ahm'Az regretted the fact that he had not send
    many armies with Russia to fight the Byzantine.
    He had not foreseen that many nations would help the large Byzantine Empire against the tiny civilization of Russia.

But ... as everyone knows ... the Persians themselves have traded technology with us during this war. Of course we expect the Persians to carry on this 'David against Goliath' line - ignoring the fact that the Russia army augmented by its mercenaries is the largest in the world (and that Persia is more powerful and advanced than Byzantium). But the gall to complain about nations helping Byzantium with technology trade when Persia itself is one of the few technology and resource trading partners Byzantine has had in recent centuries is amazing!

What will be next? A lesser Guru on a special mission trying to spread Hastogian war among the followers of One God under his various names?
    Last edited by Byzantium (DoC); November 17, 2009, 13:47.
    Βασιλεύς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων

Comment

• Dominika stared out at the city defenders. Many would die. So many. Far more than she had planned. A quick strike, chase the enemy off her lands, the continent of the Russians. No foreign colonies on our land. Simple. Then turn to other task. Yet the Byzantines were prepared. How could they bring army after army into a small frozen colony on a faraway continent so fast? So far from their core lands. Why would they? Dominika had brought in more troops, all of Russia was behind her, all of Russia was willing to fight for new lands. Every Russian who could hold a weapon willingly took arms and marched north. Why would an entire people do this, other nations wondered? For the Russian people had no other occupation. Every farm in Russia has the workers it needs. Every mine is filled to capacity, the fisheries, the plantations, the workshops and cottages. No more room exists. Which is why an entire generation decided to take arms to fight for new lands. There was no other path. A land that was of little value should have been easy to conquer. But Byzantium brought in an army equalling that of the entire Russian people. This was no casual colonization. No panicked defence. It couldn't be. The sheer influx and number of those troops. They were seeking more than a small fishing outpost. A base for invasion. Rhodes was a military stronghold. The Byzantines had been planning an invasion.

They just don't understand. These Byzantines from across the sea. They do not understand Russia. They do not understand our ambition or our determination. Their invasion force on our continent will be destroyed. Byzantium claims to be willing to bring such a force to fight for a small distant colony on another landmass, how hard would not then the most determined people of Thule fight to keep them off? How hard would not the people of Thule fight to defeat an invasion force? Dominika was not concerned. Nor was she afraid. Her people were ready to die. Did the Byzantines feel the same way? Had the thousands upon thousands of Byzantine sons who stood on Thulean soil chosen to go to this frozen lands to die for their empire? Did they wish to die for frozen lands upon Thule?

The Byzantines went on and on about mercenaries, about cowardice. Dominika had used her political power to seize an army. The army had grown, as armies do. With volunteers, with favours owed, with mercenaries, but first and foremost, with the sweat and blood of the Russian people. The Persians offered their soldiers, but Dominika had refused. She knew that the price for their aid was too high. Persia made bolder demands upon her home lands again. She could afford to owe them no favours. It was a Russian army that stood outside Rhodes. They stood there, waiting. Waiting for the Doom of Hastog.
      Bare derutsya — u kholopov chuby treschat.
      The Russian Dynasty:
      Samo the Headbanded
      Catherine the Progenitor
      Dominika Ekatarinova
      (Konya the Lost)
      Igor Exilaskaya

Comment

• [ooc] Gee when will the actual war start.... your building hes building lot of posts but no actual fighitng apart from the Catapults... Do it and one or another let us all enjoy the tales of the fighting[/ooc]

Comment

• Originally posted by Korea (DoC) View Post
          [ooc] Gee when will the actual war start.... your building hes building lot of posts but no actual fighitng apart from the Catapults... Do it and one or another let us all enjoy the tales of the fighting[/ooc]
          ooc. Its not that simple if it were this war would have been done and over.
          The civ formerly known as The Holy Empire of Britannia/dutch

Comment

• [ooc] Gee when will the actual war start.... your building hes building lot of posts but no actual fighitng apart from the Catapults... Do it and one or another let us all enjoy the tales of the fighting[/ooc]
            Russia will not engage in fighting because she knows she will be annihilated if he does.

Comment

• Dominika,

I read with interest the reports which Bellisarius sends me from Rhodes.

It is clear that your invasion has run into the sands. I know that your have a steady trickle of soldiers arriving at the front. The spearmen of Rhodes who have been feeling rather useless these recent years are delighted to see the arrival of an elephant regiment appearing through the woods. But surely you know now the truth that you cannot capture Rhodes? I know that you are probably putting great store on the arrival of your fleet which we are tracking through Arabian and Greek waters. But history is simply about to repeat itself. For a period or two you may indeed manage to blockade Rhodes, but then our fleet from Antioch will arrive and once again you hit stalemate.

I am intrigued by the latest information I have received in which you appear to claim our army in Rhodes proves that we have been planning some massive invasion. Please. You, the Persians and the Britannia all of whom have observed Rhodes for many periods know the true, indeed so do the Greeks who see all that happens on the roads to Nicaea. When you declared this war, many years go, there was but a regiment of archers and one of spearmen in Rhodes, soon to be reinforced by the garrison of two regiments of archers from Niceae. Hardly an invasion force. Since then a steady trickly of soldiers have arrived in Rhodes, a regiment or two each period. The truth Donimika is that Byzantium can happily match your troop build up. Indeed we can do it easily – currently our major cities are construction markets and forges.

So we have a stalemate, just as I explained to your mother Catherine right at the beginning when I urged her to talk not launch a pointless war.

But of course it is not a stalemate. For you are paying heavily for your huge army to be in Byzantine lands – in the gold it costs to support them, and in the growing weariness of your people back home.
              Meanwhile, your whole economy is focused on war, while mine continues to develop. The longer you pursue this war, the more damage you do to your nation, and do not delude yourself into thinking that Byzantium will simply sit on the defensive for ever.

You say that this war is essential to the survival of your nation – but Dominika, size is not everything. Look at my dear friends the Incas – one of the greatest and most glorious nations on earth – they have fewer cities and less land that you do.

I will repeat the words I wrote long ago to your mother:
              This attack will fail... You cannot win any war to destroy Rhodes.

I can assure you, Rhodes was not founded out of any desire to hurt the Russian people. We have always enjoyed trade with you. Rhodes was settled because (1) it was where pirates came from who destroyed Byzantine shipping and fishing fleets, (2) it is close to the heart of Byzantium - the city of Niceae is just a short boat ride across the straight. It is far closer to the Byzantium that to Russia. (3) because it was empty unsettled land, far from any borders other than our own (indeed we thought it was an island), about which no nation had ever communicated to us.

Rhodes will be a Byzantine city. It is an integral part of our coastal defence. A city cannot be 'unfounded' and militarily you do not have the strength to take it. That much is simple fact.

However, we want good relationships with our neighbours, particularly the smaller nations. We are sorry for any offence, and the sake of good relations we are happy to look for ways of compensating you. We have also, as you know, proposed a Council of the Ice Sea, to avoid such problems in the future.

…. That offence leads to gathering of armies is natural. But now is a time for calculation. The boots on the ground, plus the history of the world, make clear that war will not prosper you, while peace will.

This is being sent privately because we can still avert any fall-out from this. I am happy to work with you to prosper the Russian people, just as I am doing with the Egyptians and now the Greeks, and to fulfil your aspiration for the territories of the Ice Sea. A solution now can bring great honour to the Russians, rather than the ignominy of declaring and then losing a war.

In the Greek affair the Persians suggests that my talk proved I was a dog that could only bark not bite. The utter destruction of both Greek invasion forces proved otherwise. But there is no need for blood to be spilt in the Ice Sea. I hope to hear from you Queen Catherine.

Theodosius King of the Byzantines

For the sake of the Russian people, see the truth of the situation. I know you wish it were different, but it is not. The Byzantines have demonstrated in the past that they support the weak nations and their neighbors, and they do not bear grudges. While Russia is not weak – indeed more nations are weaker than Russia than stronger – Byzantium would be happy to work with you to prosper you.

Peace Dominika. You have proved your prowess and the determination of the Russian people. Now work for their prosperity. Let’s make peace.

(And please, don’t be deluded that because I talk peace I am weak. I talk peace because of course this war is inconvenient for me, and because I wish to live in peace with prosperous neighbours.)

I wait in hope to hear from you. Meanwhile of course Bellisarius will conduct the successful defence of Rhodes, and build for the counter strike.

Theodosius of Byzantium

Comment

• A mysterious figure walked into the Hagia Sophia and insisted on speaking to the high priest.

"Sir, I come from a very far place. I have been sent by the ruler of the land to conduct official business."

The high priest scanned over the man, no markings on his clothes or baggage gave any indication from where he had come. "We do like to help any one in need. Might I inquire who sent you kind sir?"

The man leaned in and whispered in the high priest's ear so that no one other than the high priest would hear.

"ah yes, we have had minor dealings with your homeland. And you say the leader of your homeland sent you? How can we be of service?"

The mysterious man and the high priest escaped into the high priest's office to discuss matters in a more private setting. After several hours of discussion the two men had agreed upon a deal. The high priest would provide a large sum of money from the coffers to help out another country and in return, that country would share a new found technology with them.

"We hope this money goes to good use and helps your country expand. Your knowledge will be of great use to us and we hope that you will consider sharing more knowledge with us in the future."

Comment

• Wang Ka,
                  we have heard of invitations for a Tao meeting in your great country. While we do not recall receiving a formal invitation, we would be happy to attend. Might you provide a map such that we can locate the party and send representatives?

Comment

• Theodosius. How stupid are you?

I shall speak in simple words so even you realize the situation.

Russia cannot develop any further.
                    We can only grow by expanding.
                    You have settled so that no further expansion may occur on Kola
                    We have no other place to expand except Kola.
                    You say a nation does not need land to be great, yet you continue to seize new lands.
                    We will not stop this war until we are either destroyed or you are removed from our continent.
                    We will die for that land.

Do you understand us now?
                    The Russian Dynasty:
                    Samo the Headbanded
                    Catherine the Progenitor
                    Dominika Ekatarinova
                    (Konya the Lost)
                    Igor Exilaskaya

Comment

• Indeed Dominika I am stupid. For I still hold onto the belief that you as ruler of the Russians work for the best interest of your people.

One day, hopefully before Russia is hopelessly ruined, a ruler will come to guide the Russian people who understands the many ways there are for a nation to be great. If every nation in this world believed that they can only grow by expanding, we will all be plunged into endless war.

The whole world can see that in the face of your intrangience and refusal even to talk, Byzantium has no choice but to prosecute this war. This pains us. We never wish to take land from any nation who is weaker than us. This offends our beliefs and our God. But if you only give me two choices - to abandon my own people who have lived and died for hundreds of years on an integral part of Byzantine territory, or to remove your ability to wage war against us - all i can do is choose the latter. The nations will bear witness that I have laboured hard to avoid attacking a weaker nation.

I continue to pray that one day there will be a Russian leader who seeks the benefit of the Russian people, or indeed that God would raise up a mediator who can speak to your heart.

Theodosius.

Comment

• Let all see clearly the Byzantian true nature. They speak of what is good for the Russian people, but they follow another path for themselves. They say one thing, but do another. Russia can be great without land, but Byzantium can not. Russia should not fight for land but Byzantium should.

You call Rhodes an integral part of your lands, but it is far away and barely populated, aside from your giant army.

You say you have not attacked us, but we say that your presence on our continent is an attack! You refuse to listen to this.

And now you reveal your true color. You wish to move against us. Destroy us. Yet you do not realize that you have already destroyed us by strangling our people. We will fight to rectify this. Russia has bravely stood alone. We continue to stand alone. And we will die alone. Crushed under iron feet of a massive empire. It is not courage to fight only battles you can win. It is not valour to defeat those who are weak. Russia could have done this. We could have taken land from a number of nations who are defenceless, but we chose instead to stand firm on our convictions even if it meant challenging an empire far greater than ours. You say greatness can be acquired without land, yet your great empire that you boast of its strength and capacity that you will now utilize is great exactly because of your vastness.

We will fight or we will die. We are ready. There is no other way, for to not fight is to die. If any nation would care to aid Russia, we welcome your help against the Byzantine invaders.
                        The Russian Dynasty:
                        Samo the Headbanded
                        Catherine the Progenitor
                        Dominika Ekatarinova
                        (Konya the Lost)
                        Igor Exilaskaya

Comment

• Byzantium, if you truely seek the best for the Russian people, why don't you then make an offer Russia can't resist?
                          Force is always beside the point when subtlety will serve
                          <a href = "http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5759340&postcount=49">Darius order to kill Oroetes</a></p>

Comment

• Originally posted by Mali (DoC) View Post
                            Wang Ka,
                            we have heard of invitations for a Tao meeting in your great country. While we do not recall receiving a formal invitation, we would be happy to attend. Might you provide a map such that we can locate the party and send representatives?
                            great one from the Far East.

We did invite all Taoists to our lands to speak on things to do with compassion and such like, the heart of taoism. This invite did go out to all in the world. it ws not sent individiaully to each taoist, but was spread as a general invite.

Yearly we meet in Korea now to pray and discuss our ways.

You are always welcome to attend this annual conference.

As to how to get here, we again have sent maps of our lands many times but will again show you the way

Comment

• Wang Ka was old and he knew soon his son would be the new Great wang Ka.

But his heart was heavy, his faith in Taoism was being stretched.

His national security chief told him that the Indians had increased their spying level in Korea.

This against a fellow Taoist.

As Wang Ka looked forward to the great ending of it all he passed one of his final orders. "Match their Espionage level, if they reduce we will too, send Bitof Mortanchu to speak to them directly. He shall ask why we are being spyed on"

And so Bitof Mortanchu sailed to India to meet the Taoists of the East.

Comment

• The indians have listened to the Korean emissary, Bitof Mortanchu, and sent the following letter back as an answer:

Great Wang Ka,

We have heard there was some missunderstanding around our diplomats. Those you think are spies are in fact just observers. They are there to learn more about your country so in a sense they do similar things as spies, collecting informations, however they never go beyond that point, they don't have and not going to have as much influence to be able causing any harm to you or to any other nations-since we have already sent these men to almost all nations we have met, but they turned back as soon as they gathered just the basic informations. If these men are not welcome we will call them back immediately or you can just send your own people for the same reason, to learn more about us.

Comment

Working...
                                X