Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beyond the Pit [Pitboss Diplomacy Game] [Story Thread] . PART 5 (December 2008)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Celtic representatives to the Hastings Conference are enjoying their last days in the city. The hosts have been very hospitable, catering to every need of the representatives. Talks with the other nations have gone well and a plan for future cooperation between countries is being drafted as the conference comes to a close. The Celtic nation is happy to be part of this tremendous event.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitboss Celts
      The Celtic representatives to the Hastings Conference are enjoying their last days in the city. The hosts have been very hospitable, catering to every need of the representatives. Talks with the other nations have gone well and a plan for future cooperation between countries is being drafted as the conference comes to a close. The Celtic nation is happy to be part of this tremendous event.
      <OOC> Whilst the discussions are indeed ending, as there as been no real posts on the topic, I would prefer to assume that, for the purposes of the story, the Conference is just beginning. Expect a large post from me, opening the celebrations, soon. </OOC>
      Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

The Knife of Menaleaus....

The guard gently placed the package before Emperor Sejong; it was a box covered in Piercia's ceremonial state-colors. The Emperor looked at the box hesitantly, "These are all of my missives?" he asked the gaurd.

"Yes your majesty, there were none others this morning." the Guard said, being careful not to look the Emperor in the eye.

"Very well," the Emperor said, "Dismissed." the gaurd bowed and quickly left the room. Emperor Sejong had called Bojong of Wonsan, his Imperial Minister of Domestic Affairs, as well as Bojong's advisor Jangsu. He was also from Wonsan. "Well, where were we now? Ah yes, these Hwa'chas."

"Well?" Jangsu asked, unfamiliar with imperial etiquette, "Aren't you going to open it?" Bojong shook his head, and gave Sejong an apologetic look.

"Of course I am, it would be rude of me to do so now in front of you" Sejong said, he did really want to open the gift but was unsure what would be inside. "Well, I might as well, it could be important." The Emperor removed the cloth to reveal a copper and gold box affixed with the emblem of the Kor'O caste of Piercia (although he didn't recognize the symbol himself). The symbol worked as a latch or knob that opened the bix, he slowly turned it as the sides of the box fell flat on the table, he lifted the top off and saw a small knife. "A knife!" he said holding it up, it was a nice knife, but nothing out of the ordinary. "Oh and there is a message here as well....

Many years ago this Knife came to us from the lands of Sparta. It is said to have been in the possession of Bae Hyeongyeong, who was the last known to have rightfully possessed this knife. This is the Knife of Menaleaus; it was to be the knife that killed King Lacadeamon, but wound up being the weapon of suicide for Princess Sinjeong of Silla. Therefore I now return it to its rightful owner, her son the Emperor Sejong.

- Kor'O Lem'ya
        ....Sejong folded the message and placed it in his pocket, he gently folded the box back into shape and placed it on the floor, "Now then, back to the matters at hand-"

"Emperor" Jangsu said, "What did it say?"

"NOTHING!" Sejong barked, "It said nothing! Will you cease pestering me please!?"

Jangsu cleared his throat, and softly said "Yes your majesty."

"Now, back to business. The Romans appear to be uneasy about this peace with Piercia, they have personally spoken with General Shin Sung, where is he by the way?" the Emperor said, the General should have been there hours ago, Sejong sent a guard to find him.

"You know him your majesty," Bojong laughed, "He's quite old, perhaps he has grown senile and has forgotten where the palce is!"

"Possibly, well his presence isn't important right now. The Romans have even asked about our units under the command of General Jumong, and rather than position ourselves in meeting to be picked up we have decided to move them to a Roman port. As a sign of good faith, and to allay their fears. The Romans have grown quite suspicious as of late." Sejong explained.

"Of Korea Emperor?" Bojong asked.

"Well, of everybody, I have word that they are even questioning Piercia's commitment to peace at this time, that they question the purpose of the military garrison at Mi'Ting." Sejong explained.

"We would be wise to maintain our distance from that conflict, especially considering the-" Bojong began, but was interrupted by a guard, who entered out of breath and haggard.

Sejong quickly rose from his seat, fearing that Empress Soheon may have been harmed, or perhaps that Korea was being invaded, "Fetch him some water!" he ordered the guards stationed in the room, he grabbed the guard by his shoulders, "What has happened?"

"General Shin.... General Shin Sung.... is dead...."

Jogyesa Monastery, Days Later....

The death of Shin Sung was brutal for Sejong. For many years Shin Sung was his only imperial minister, and had grown to be his most trusted advisor. And in many ways had been a father figure to the once young Emperor, who grew up wtihout a mother or father. Shin Sung was also the last remnant of an old and dead warrior class of Koreans that included men like Wang Geon, Gang Jo, and Bae Hyeongyeong. In many ways an era died with Shin Sung. Shin Sung was there when Bae Hyeongyeong first met the Greeks, he was there when the Oldonians first arrived on Korean shores, he was there for the rise (and the fall) of Wang Geon, and the ancient Mayan war. He was the link between Korea's present and its past, and now this was lost. While Sejong could have considered this the birth of a new ear, and the opportunity to appoint a new Imperial Commander the knife he receieved had both intrigued and bothered the Emperor. As his mother's suicide device he kept it on his person at all times. This would eventually prove to be a critical mistake...

"Lama Subo!" Sejong said, bowing to the old Monk, this was the only man in Korea Sejong ever bowed to, "Please, please, let me help you to your seat." The Emperor slowly helped the old monk to a sitting-pillow upon the floor.

"Thank you Emperor" the old man said, "Oh and lovely to see you too Empress!" he smiled at Empress Soheon who was also present, "My eyes are not what they used to be!"

"So, Lama Subo, not that I ever mind the trip, but why have you called me here?" the Emperor asked.

"I have called you here to discuss certain matters with you, international matters." the Lama began "I know it is not my place, but there is talk of war amongst the Spartan Greeks and the Japanese. A war I am interested in preventing, through some measure, perhaps even an unorthodox one."

"I don't understand Lama, there is little Korea can do, let alone an unorthodox method to prevent this war. Japan is the aggressor state, and has declared war upon the Greeks out of honor" Sejong said, "When a nation's personal reputation has been challeneged or affronted Korea will not involve itself."

"You mistunderstand me young child, you think only of war, I do not speak of war!" Subo said.

"Well Lama, I am no longer a young child" Sejong laughed.

"You will always be a child to me Sejong!" Subo snapped back, he was getting snippy in his old age, "I speak of the Buddha, of enlightenment. The Spartan Greeks have already embraced the Buddha, but the Japanese yearn for it. Many many centuries ago the Japanese agreed to host Lama Ji Gong and take his missionaries into their Kingdom. This was interrupted by the Spartan Greeks closing their borders with us. I believe now that we have re-estabilshed our ties with the Spartans we should be able to continue this mission to spread the word of enlightenment to Japan. Obviously Lama Ji Gong is too old to do it now, but I have a new apprentice who is young enough to engage in such a journey." Subo said, handing a message to Sejong....

Date/Time Sent: 18-11-2008, 00:22
        To: Pitboss Korea
        Subject: Buda

Great Emperor, I must ask do if you may send Buddhist monks as fast as
        possible to Japan. We have wanted to convert to Buddhism for a long time
        and would be greatly honored if you would send a few to Japan.

Emperor Itoku
        ...The Emperor quickly read the short message, "Yes, I do remember this, I told Hae Mosu to send it to you. I have no problem with this, but I beileve the Greeks will be hesitant to allow this, considering they are at war with the Japanese."

"The Spartan Greeks are children of the Buddha, they are followers of his teaching" the old Lama slowly said, "Why should the deny the spread of his enlightened word?"

"And perhaps it will assuage the Japanese and their bellicose temperment?" Soheon interjected.

Sejong turned to her as if he was surprised she said that, Subo laughed "She is wise Emperor, listen to your Empress. Please ask the Greeks to allow for missionaries to pass to Japan. Tell them they must have a launching pad for this trip, and that war between two nations that embrace the Buddha's teachings is not advisable."

"Well, I will bring this to my ministers," Sejong began "and we will certainly make this request for you Lama. Sejong said rising to his feet, now Empress Soheon is going to speak with you about Gojong's wedding ceremony, I will return to the palace and have a message for Sparta prepared..."

NEXT: The Return of the Piercian Envoy, Gojong's Wedding...

Comment

Finally the day had come. The day of Jesse's Birthday, and the start of the Hastings Conference.

Many nations gathered in Hastings for the the event, and the feasting was beyond measure. Everyone from the Highest king to the lowliest servant was invited to celebrate as equals (if only for one day). The event was technically a Christian event, although somehow exessive amounts of wine (and similar temptations) found its way to the revellers, much to the chagrain of the priests. The most common belief was that Jesse had somehow arranged for the supply against the wishes of his advisors.

The week before the celebrations, Robert the Plump had suggested that Jesse tour the land and let the people know his face. During this time, a band subscribing to the Metalhead religion of Rock Music (Hinduism in the Khmerish tongue) settled in the small town of Coventry. When Jesse and his entourage arrived in Coventry, they were invited to hear the musicians play. Like any rebellious teenager, Jesse liked what he heard and insisted on joining the band. Fortunately, the band members recognised him and were able to persuade him to continue on his own destiny as the future ruler of the Funglish Dominion. They did however agree to play at the upcoming celebrations, even though Robert had already arranged for Christian musicians and entertainers.

<OOC>
          Ozzy,
          Can you expand on this side-plot, please?
          </OOC>

As for the feast, Robert prepared a huge open-air venue, and encouraged guest to wear masks and bright colours, so that masters would dine alongside servants, princes alongside peasants. And for a day, no-one would ever need to know his fellow's true rank. The only exceptions were made for the current and future Heads of State. Robert, Jesse, Ozzy, Otto, Roosevelt, Suryavarman, and Brennus would be given pride of place at a raised table overlooking the feasters. None of the seats at this table would be any more ornate or important than any other, although Robert took great care to ensure that Ozzy would be seated between himself and Suryavarman, so as not to offend any of the other nations. Behind the table was a raised dais with 3 long steps On the top step of the dais was a single, highly ornate throne; the High Throne of the Funglish Dominion, carved specially for the occasion by Holy Roman artisans. Arranged along the second step, were 5 less ornate thrones, one for each visiting ruler. And finally on the lowest step was a single, almost puritan throne, for Robert never claimed to be Royalty, nor did he ever claim to be an equal to the other Heads of State.

<OOC>
          HRE,
          I know Otto isn't coming, but Robert has been so rushed off his feet, that he hasn't read the message yet, and so he doesn't know. Fredrick can explain all when he arrives... I'll leave that up to you.
          </OOC>

Finally the preparations were complete, and the first guests were starting to arrive. The next week or so would be crucial in determining the direction of the continent. First, to put people at ease, and to allow them to forget their worries (if only for a time), there was to be a day of feasting and celebration. The chefs were already hard at work, and the tables and decorations were already placed. A vanguard of Holy Roman priests had already arrived bringing Jesse's ornate throne, and were now praying loudly and beginning to bless the whole event. They had also brought a choir who were warming up in the town hall.

Once the initial feasting and celebration was finished, Jesse was to be presented to the crowd as the Crown Prince of the Funglish Dominion. Suryavarman of the Khmer had been asked to preside over the ceremony (although the Khmer had not yet responded to this request), and then Jesse would be allowed to make his first proclamation as Ruler of the Dominion. Technically he could say anything, but the plan had him simply using this time to annouce the start of the Second Hastings Conference, a week (or more) of intense negotiations regarding the future and security of the whole continent.

<OOC>
          Khmer,
          A confirmation would be nice, and perhaps a post about how the ceremony would be performed?
          </OOC>

Lastly, once the Conference was over, a treaty would be drawn up highlighting all the agreements made, which would then be couriered to every nation on the planet. This would be followed by another day of feasting and celebrations.

<OOC>
          Celtia and America,
          I promise I'll find some side plot or story for you to hook into, but if you already have a plan, work it into your arrival post and I can hook into that.
          </OOC>

Coming Soon: The Coronation
          Last edited by MMC; December 10, 2008, 14:44.
          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
          "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Great Mayan leader,

This is to confirm the peace treaty:

We agree what you offer.

*Assured peace for 100 Portuguese turns (100 Mayan cycles)
            *Return of Ivory to Portugal
            *Technology of our picking (I have already suggested the one you are currently researching)

As you requested the above agreement is signed by Marco and the King of Portugal Henry.

I ask that you sign and publically declare that Maya will not break this agreement.

Thank you

Marco of Portugal

Comment

TO: King Archelaus of Sparta

Buddhist brother!

It has come to our attention recently that you and the Empire of Japan have come to blows. This is a disheartening turn of events as our area of this world has been, for the most part, very peaceful and an outstanding example of Buddhist teachings and practices.

That said, we completely understand the necessity to maintain one's honor and prestige, especially when a nation that is as hot-headed as Japan as accross the bargaining table. However we feel this situation can not only be peacefully resolved, but that the teachings of the Buddha can help in this end. Under the Japanese Emepror Itoku, and part of the transfer of the Korean Land-Bridge claim to Japan, the Japanese Empire agreed to embrace Buddhism so long as we sent the initial missionaries to help in doing so. We simply wanted to request that the Buddhist King Archelaus grant us permission to pass through Spartan lands with Buddhist missionaries headed for Japan, as well as potentially provide these monks with protection in the warzone.

We will admit that it is no secret that Lama Subo, the current head of the Buddhist faithful, feels this war should be avoided and wishes for it to end. Despite this our monks will act only as missinoaries rather than intermediaries. The Monk Kukai will be placed in charge of the Japanese mission, so please address your reply to him. Thank you for your time.

- Bojong of Wonsan, Imperial Minister of Domestic Affairs

Comment

The people of Caesaraugustus crowded to the beach, peering out from the jungle watching the Spartan ships.

The crowd babbled away ...

"So those ships hold the King of the West?"

"The Spartans have maintained a war against us for centuries, why don't we just sink them"

"But the King of the West, the priests say that his coming marks a change in the world, that the Roman and Spartan people, both brothers of the same father, will be united"

"But what if the King of the West brings war?"

"I'd love to see the King of the West facing a wall of these new Roman muskets" laughter

"That's blasphemy, I still believe he is a Star from the West bringing a new world"

"Star - my foot - its just priestly ranting"

Then the sound of drumming was heard, and through the jungle came a company of the Governor's soliders. Then men looked anxious - was this the moment when all true Romans would be summoned to arms to defend their lands under the new 'draft' laws? Everyone had seen the cartloads of muskets being unloaded at the Council House ready for distribution.

But no, efficiently and quietly, the soliders launched a skiff which set out to the Spartan boat, to deliver a message from the Senate:

King of the West, the Senate and People of Rome sends greetings.

Our naval forces are tracking your position, remaining over the sky line. We are keen to meet with you and hear your message. However as you know the war you declared is still in force. Therefore, we cannot allow you free entry to Roman land.

We believe that there are three reasonable courses of action.

1. You offer a cease-fire to last (on both of our parts) for the time you are in Roman lands and waters. We would accept and honour this as long as Spartans ships and men do not divert from their direct diplomatic mission to Rome.

2. Your ships proceed directly north-east to the Roman port city of Viroconium. You need proceed no further from there. The full Senate will meet you there and we can talk in that fine coastal city.

3. Your ships proceed directly north-east to the Roman port city of Viroconium. Yourself and a small retinue could then travel on to Rome.
                [occ by small retinue I mean not a unit in civ, storying your arrival in Rome in fine, but not offloading a land unit]

We feel forced to remind you that the war you declared is still in force, therefore our admirals and generals are empowered to take offensive action if you stray outside one of these options. But we hope that very soon peace can be signed, and we can welcome you here openly and freely.

Comment

Archelaus watched the skiff that landed on the boat.
                  He stepped back.

The captain stepped forward and picked it up. "It's a letter"
                  "Read it for me" Archelaus said.

"King of the West, The senate and People of Rome sends greetings." the captain started reading.
                  When he was finished Archelaus said:

"They surely are easily scared by something as tiny as a caravel."
                  Then he stepped forwards, to the front of the ship and talked with a big voice the the scared Romans on the shores:

People of Rome,

Why are you scared when King Archelaus comes with a Caravel to your lands?
                  Are you afraid that millions of Spartan soldiers are kept hidden somewhere in this tiny ship?
                  Do you fear that I may lay a spell on you and you all start to talk Japanese?
                  Or has the word reached you that King Archelaus kills thousands of people with his voice alone?"

He grinned and shouted with a mysterious voice: "Buwhaha, I COMMAND THY HEARTS TO STOP BEATING"

he laughed.
                  "You see! It didn't work!
                  King Archelaus, while being powerful and a strong leader, is only human! And this caravel carries nothing except me, King Archelaus and some sailors."

"Why so scared?" he asked.

"I have read your terms, and they seem to be fair.

We will honour a cease fire for as long as I am sailing through your waters.

We will sail directly to Viroconium. We will not invade your territory with our countless soldiers based on this huge vessel, and neither will we unload our huge force of catapults and trechbuchets, hidden under the deck of this Caravel."

then Archelaus paused for a moment, only to continue:
                  "By the grace of the gods, what do you expect I have with me on this ship? To be honest, it's not even big enough to hold our smallest unit of phalanxes!

But before you start to hallucinate again, none of my armies will invade your territory as long as this cease fire endures.
                  We are Sparta, we are no barbarians.

And believe me, we will live up to this deal.
                  I'd rather die then break a pact that I sealed.
                  You can trust Sparta on it's word of honour.

Do you still fear me?
                  YOU SHOULD for I am King Archelaus of Sparta!
                  And the rumous are true, I am capable to kill thousands of soldiers with one swoop of the sword....."

then he laughed again: "but I won't do it, as long as this cease fire endures!"

Archelaus walked back to the under deck of the ship, which continued to sail towards Viroconium.
                  Last edited by Guest; December 10, 2008, 18:13.

Comment

The rumours spread like wild-fire from the jungles of Caesaraugustus, trades up into the deserts spreading them, the marines and sailors carrying them back across the sea to the Roman mainland.

"The King of the West - he has declared peace"

"Peace ... peace ... the prophecies are true. The King of the West has declared that the ancient fighting between Sparta and Rome is ended."

Some looked wistfully at the cartloads of muskets arriving in the new 'draft halls', but the priests just kept ringing the bells "the King of the West has declared peace"

Comment

"Did you just declare peace?" the captain frowned.
                      "No, I did not" Archelaus said. We have a cease fire, we will not be destroyed by Roman ships as long as we sail through their waters. And neither will we hurt any Roman as long as we sail through their waters.

Rome has hurted Sparta a lot and stepped on our pride. They won't get peace that easily. I'll make that clear to them."

"So I can't hurt any Roman while we're in their waters? Not even a few of their fishers?" the captain complained.

"Not even one of their fishes. I have given my word" Archelaus concluded.

Comment

Frederik, the Holy Roman Emperor in Waiting, quickly travelled south to the Hastings Conference. The six horse carriage moved very quickly over the smooth roads of the Empire. A small guard accompanied Frederik.

Inside the moving carriage, he was trying to work on his blessing for the Hastings Conference. He and his chief scribe were having difficulty getting the appropriate tone, what with the Emperor on his death bed, and secondly with this "unfair" peace plan being implemented. Yes, he was going to have difficult time making this sound 'upbeat', to coin an awful Metal phrase.

But it was the coronation of Jesse Pendragon, and for better or worse, the Funglish were friends and allies. Frederik, in his first public and international appearance, had to get this right.

He lifted pen to paper, but once again, his thoughts drifted back to to the Emperor in Aachen. As he stared out the carriage window, the six horses thundered southward.

Comment

A grave and momentous time approached for the Khmer.

Suryavarman 1 was ill.

A more militaristic fervor was sweeping the Khmer. The Hastings peace conference and all the celebrations were irritating his son, Suryavarman 2.

Would he attend the birthday ceremony of Jess in his father's place?

Would he preside over the ceremony so carefully orchestrated by the Funglish?

Would he embark upon the missions set forth in the peace agreement signed by his father?

Have the Metals mis-used the peace process to build up militarily and deny strategic advantage to others?

What happened to the Trilateral Management of New Portugal?

Why are these big powers increasing their military at a remarkable rate along with very advanced military technology, some of which is now shared with the Metals? Is this deliberate provocation by Portugal?

What has Sparta done with the Khmer discovery of New Sparta?

What is it about statistics that makes him so paranoid?

Why is it that when Khmer spends generations cutting their way through jungle that some say Khmer has the best land?

Why do the Inca not speak to the Khmer?

Why are the Khmer so relegated in world rankings? No matter the story, the poetry, the dipomacy, the gifting of resources and technology, other helping or the Khmer achievements, the Khmer remain a middle of the road nation in the eyes of so many?

Why do the Funglish take Khmer's agenda and run with it as though it was their own? And in the process embarass Khmer several times.

Why is Spain so recalcitrant in its dealings with the Khmer? They are so keen to help the equal top nation with leap-frogging technology advances with Portugal, yet play difficult when any proposals come from the Khmer. We are their neighbours yet they chose to get into bed with the Portuguese.

Let's just say that the Khmer, if ruled by Suryavarman 2, will be a different place.

He knows who his few friends are and respects absolute loyalty on a totally equal basis and regardless of relative strengths.

He looked at his sad and pathetic father and thought of all his diplomatic efforts to involve the Khmer in spheres of influence: New Sparta, New Portugal and of course Meduian. Not to mention Serenity Island.

It crystalised in his mind: he would honour the Meduian Hastings Peace Proposal and all the support required from the Khmer (yet to be posted by the Funglish).

But he could see further than this, beyond Meduian, and into the hearts of distant enemies. Slavery was rife abroad and great armies abound. At least two nations have troopbearing ships despite assurances that this would not happen and no response to proven Khmer intelligence on the matter.

Suryavarman 2 was thinking big military and modern weaponry. This is the only thing any of them will respect.

If they want Khmer to be problem then he will make it so.

Comment

It was a beautiful fall day as Ieyasu walked to the large courtyard where the Spartan Chief Scribe was. “Good morning how are you today,” said Ieyasu. The scribe stood their silent his body full of browses and cuts given to him when he foolishly tried to escape. “What is your name,” said Ieyasu? The scribe lost his balance but quickly recovered yet said nothing. “Am I not saying it right? I thought it was considered to be extremely rude not to introduce yourself.” “Nicholas, My name is Nicholas,” said . “What do you want from me? Why am I here? Why haven’t you killed me?” “I have introduced myself you have introduced yourself this has been a good conversation,” said Ieyasu. Then the guard took Nicholas back to the countryside.

Once the guard was out of sight one of the six shoguns walked up to him. (At this time the title of shogun was used to refer a top ranked general or admiral and no longer had the power to rule in place of the emperor.) “Why do we keep him here, he should kill himself for his dishonor,” said Hiroto. “That is not their why Hiroto. Besides I feel that he is here for a much larger reason.” Hiroto bowed then walked away as Ieyasu sat back to watch the rising of his new temple.
                            Last edited by Pitboss Japan; December 11, 2008, 14:09.

Comment

The Wedding of Gojong and Sinhye, and the return of the Envoy...

Imperial Palace, Seoul...

The arranged marriage of Prince Gojong of Goguryeo, son of Emperor Sejong, and Sinhye of Wonsan (who was daughter to Sejong's new top Minister, Bojong of Wonsan) went ahead quickly. The young couple would prove to be a marked change in the future of the Korean Empire. The end of military authority was clearly marked by this marriage, and Sejong had even bigger plans to further remove authority from not only the military but also the nobility. Establishing strong ties to Wonsan through this marriage united the three strongest provinces in Korea - Silla, Goguryeo, and Wonsan - which would ultimately result in absolute power resting solely in the Imperial family. While his top generals were away Sejong reorganized the military and took power from local Warlords and centralized it into his Imperial Commander, who he kept at his beck and call. The goal of all of this was not for his own power, of course, but for his son Gojong. Sejong was a student of history, and realized quite readily that Gang Ye (the ancient King of the Koreans) was usurped by Sejong's "father" Wang Geon. Because of this event power rested supremely in localized warlords (Wang Geon being one of them) and the structure of Korea's military expemplafied this. The emperor was unable to wage war without support from the local warlords, and thus the nobles who kept them in employ, and would be unable to build advanced military forces. In fact the new Hwa'Chas, which were rocket-powered seige-craft, were hardly built because local nobles were worried if they didn't raise enough foot soldiers they would be unable to compete with their local rivals. The concept of a "Korean army" was far from realized, and Sejong knew that in the coming era of overseas colonization and far-flung wars such as the one between Rome and Greece, or the rumored wars in the far Eastern continent, Korea would be a sittnig duck without a centralized government and a unified military. While all of this may have been true the changeover wouldn't be easy, three of his top officials were set to return to Korea in the coming days, and had no knowlege of his reforms. He knew quite well that when they discovered the changes, and realized they were never consulted about them, there would be some problems...

Bojong of Wonsan smiled at his daughter, he couldn't believe it; she was marrying the Prince. He was now officially part of the Imperial family. "What an exciting day Emperor, you have honored my family greatly!" the beaming father of the bride said.

"You must thank the Empress Soheon, she spoke highly of you for your office, she spoke highly of your family in Wonsan. If not for her Bojong, I may never have considered this." Sejong said.

"I will be sure to remember, perhaps I shall send her a luxurious gift!" Bojong replied.

"Perhaps" Sejong said, "I must tell you, your fortunes do not end here Bojong, how do you like the sound of Imperial Prime Minister?"

Bojong never heard of the position, but it sounded quite impressive; "What exactly does the Prime Minister do?"

Sejong smiled, "Well, you didn't think I would simply turn over the Empire to my son? He is arrogant, he is young, he is taken with himself, and his sense of entitlement- like I was when I was his age, he would not make a good Emperor at this point. I had to learn that myself, and I had a good teacher; Bae Hyeongyeong. Besides, you know of the goals of my reforms, and I will expect them to continue after I pass. You will be his Bae Hyeongyeong, because he will need somebody he feels he can trust. In the inerim however, you will act as my top advisor, you will be both the chief foreign and domestic minister, even the Imperial Commander will answer to you. In fact you will ONLY answer to me, you are my second."

Bojong smiled, "Wow, Emperor, that is quite an honor! I don't know what to say!"

"Say you will honor me by accepting." the Emperor replied.

Bojong nodded, his face lit up. "You will not regret this."

"I had better not, now then" Sejong continued as he looked up at the dias; Gojong slightly turned his head and looked right at Sejong, he did not look happy, "We should get on to business, I understand you have written Archelaus and he has yet to reply?"

"Yes, I sent the message concerning the Buddhist missionaries, there has yet to be a response. My informants tell me that Archelaus isn't even in court, in fact he is in Rome." Bojong explained.

"Commanding his forces?" Sejong asked, confused.

"No sire, he apparently has gone on a peaceful mission. I believe there may finally be a cease-fire between our Spartan Greek friends and their Roman enemies."

"Perhaps to bolster his forces against Japan" Sejong surmized, "This Japanese war bothers me Bojong, it seems to go against the old Spartan policies of Lacadeamon, a war against Japan is nearly preicsely what Sparta objected to when Rome invaded Russia."

"Well, perhaps Sparta has seen the error of their ways so to speak. They have signed a cease-fire with the Romans, perhaps they will also adopt Roman foreign policy as it regards Japan?" Bojong contemplated.

"Hmmm" Sejong thought, he looked up again at his son, who again looked back at him, he seemed angered but Sejong could not think of a reason why, "Perhaps we should speak about this privately, after Hae Mosu returns from Piercia, I am sure they will have more information for us at that point."

"Agreed." Bojong said.

....Gojong looked back again. Finally his father and his soon-to-be father in-law had ended their scheming. How dare they do this at MY wedding!?!? He thought to himself. He looked at his wife, he didn't know her at all, he didn't know what she was like and in fact hardly remembered her name. Sinhye? Was it Sinhye? What an ugly name! He thought to himself. He certainly did not want to be Emperor, but he knew displeasing his father would not be beneficial to him. He yearned to be free, like a peasant. Life may have been tough for them, but it was a mystery. You could go off and become anything, and his was set in stone. There were no options for a son of Sejong; he had to abide by his father's rules, eat what his father told him, dress how his father told him to dress, and think how his father told him to think. And he knew his father was now making Bojong his Prime Minister; even after Sejong was dead Gojong realized he'd still be under this thumb! He looked up at Subo, the Lama, the OLD Lama. He was surrounded by old men. But then it dawned on him, when he was Emperor, HE would make the rules. He would change everything. It was then that he envied his cousin Pacal in the Mayan Kingdom. Perhaps I will take my honeymoon in Tikal, he thought to himself....

Rome, Roman Empire...

The Korean envoy to the north, comprised of General Jumong, General Han Gong, Colonel Kim Jong-seo, and Foreign Minister Hae Mosu had finished their visit and were on their way home to Korea. They did, however, leave a small contingent for follow-up diplomacy under the command of Colonel Bak Moon of Wonsan. Bak Moon was a cousin to the Empress Soheon, and was brother-in-law to Jeong Jung-bu, the commander that Sejong foolishlely sent north unarmed into certain death at the hands of barbarians. Bak expected a better post than this; being left in a strange land, but he also recognized the importance of his mission there. His scouting group reached the Roman capital and reached the city walls, which were closed off - this made sense of course as the Romans were at war with the Greeks.

"ROMANS!" Colonel Bak Moon cried up at the guard towers, "I AM BAK MOON OF WONSAN, COLONEL OF THE ARMY OF EMPEROR SEJONG OF GOGURYEO! I ASK FOR ENTRANCE AND AUDIENCE WITH THE TRIBUNE HIERONYMUS!"

For a moment there was no reply from the Roman guards in the tower, after a couple of minutes the gates slowly opened and a troop of Praetorians marched out. A man on a horse, who was clearly a general rode out in front of the Praetorians, he removed his helmet and hopped from this horse. He slowly approached Bak Moon, "Colonel Bak Moon, a pleasure to meet you" he said extending his hand "I am General Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, welcome to Rome..."

Pyong'Yang, Days Later...

After years upon the seas, and years of braving the mysterious lands of the north the Korean envoy had finally returned to their homeland. They could now see their families, and relax in their own homes for the first time in decades. The men made sure they were in their finest uniforms, and were flying clean and fresh flags as they entered the city, they wanted to impress their Emperor. Hae Mosu had already done so, making sure the Kor'O Lem'ya of Piercia sent the mysterious knife of Menaleaus to the Emperor as a gift. The men were greeted by Emperor Sejong, Prince Gojong, and Prime Minister Bojong (although they were unaware of Bojong's position of authority, as he receievd his status while they were away). General Jumong hopped off of his horse and bowed to the Emperor, "Emperor Sejong, we return to you successful, we have mapped much the north-lands, and have achieved an economic agreement with Emperor Azisz of Piercia!" he said, handing him the official documents. "This must be your son Gojong!" the General said, "What a strapping boy, look how he's grown, we must have been gone longer than I realized!"

"Yes, it was quite a hardship to wait for your return, the anxiety. I worried for your safety on a daily basis" the Emperor said. "And with good reason, I will say though, that is a good look for you!" he laughed, referring the Jumong's injury at the hands of barbarians.

"Never say I haven't given to Korea!" Jumong replied.

Han Gong approached, "Emperor" he said, bowing, however not as gracefully as Jumong "We have dispatched Colonel Bak Moon as an emissary to the eastern Kingdoms of the North. He has been advised to gain audience with the Romans, Portugese and Russians... where is General Shin Sung?"

"We have lost our Imperial Commander" Sejong said "I will announce the new one in a few days, but I have already made my decision, so do not attempt to curry my favor as it will be for naught!" he said sternly.

Han Gong and Jumong looked at eachother, the two rivals were certainly the candidates for this charge. Hae Mosu slowly approached Sejong next. "Emperor" he said, bowing dutifully, "I report success in our diplomatic endeavors. The Emperor of Piercia sends his regards, and thanks you for entertaining Sal'Ly."

"It was a pleasure, she was a very interesting woman." Sejong said, "Oh yes, Hae Mosu, you know Bojong of Wonsan correct?"

"Of course" Hae said, bowing to Bojong, "How do you do?"

"Quite well." Bojong said.

"Very well in fact" Sejong said, "His daughter has been wed to my son Gojong, and he is now our Imperial Prime Minister."

"Prime Minister?" Hae asked, he was surprised, "So that means-"

"That means from now on Hae, you will send all of your reports to me through him, in fact you will work directly with him and him alone, he will be your go between to the Emperor, is that understood?"

Hae was visibly upset, and Sejong knew this would happen, "Of course your majesty." he said.

Han Gong was pleased with this; he hated Hae Mosu. "Oh yes, I nearly forgot, Emperor this is Harald Sigurdsson of Gateway. He was our guide, and hails from Oldonia."

Harald approached the Emperor, "Emperor Sejong, a pleasure to meet you" he said, bowing clumsily, he was still unaccostomed to doing this, "I must thank you and your General Jumong who helped us deliver Oldonia from the Islamist scourge. Your men were quite integral in saving our country. Although in time our lands fell into chaos, it seems Big Kevin was an unworthy ruler, and unprepared to lead the Oldonians."

"Thank you Harald" Sejong saw him as an opportunity, "You will dine with me this evening, in the palace at Pyong'yang, we have much to discuss. In fact all of you will. I have several announcements to make and this is an inappropriate forum, besides you must be famished, and I am sure you crave some Korean food after so many years away. Let us return to Pyong'yang, we will eat fine food, and drink fine wine, in the company of fine women!"

"Sounds like a plan to me!" Jumong said, he was quite confident that he would be the next Imperial Commander...
                              Last edited by Pitboss Korea; December 11, 2008, 14:35.

Comment

The ship of Archelaus

Archelaus was close to the port of Rome, but shortly before he reached the shores of Rome, he went to the front of the ship and addressed the many waiting people:

"People of Rome" he said

"I have not come to Rome to bring peace.
                                I came here to bring vengeance!
                                You will feel the wrath of Sparta!
                                You have dishonoured us and disrespected us.
                                You have spit on our leaders and our dignity.

Now we will show you that Sparta has it's pride!

We will show that Sparta will not let the murderers of Russians and Portuguese get away!
                                We will show that Sparta will fight for the weak and defend the poor! We will stand up or those who where crushed by the Romans.

I came here to bring you war!
                                We will fight you till you have learned to respect Sparta and your neighbours.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"

Then the caravel quickly left Roman territory, effectively ending the cease fire.

Pretaus, the Spartan spy

Pretaus entered Rome a couple of years ago.
                                His presence had stayed unnoticed by the Romans. Mostly because of his subtle dressing, and his ability to make himself invisible...
                                Not really invisible, but he was able to completely merge with nature. Become a part of it.

Pretaus had two missions.
                                The first mission was most important, he made himself ready to full fill it.

He was near the court of the Senate.
                                Today Tribune Hieronymus would speak for the senate.
                                His target was clear.

Pretaus sneaked into the courtroom.
                                He knew where the room of Hieronymus was.
                                He attacked the guard from behind. Without making any noise he killed him.
                                Then he opened the door entered the room.

The Tribune turned around and asked: "Who are you?"
                                Pretaus said: "I'm the wrath of Alexander, Alcetas, Perdiccas and Archelaus"
                                then he grabbed his knife and quickly killed the tribune.

He left the building as soon as possible, ready to execute his 2nd mission.

Many slaves had gathered on the great square of Rome. Most of them were being sold, some where there to deal for their masters.

Pretaus climbed on something, and raised his voice: "Slaves of Rome, why do you live under the burden of the autocrats of Rome?

How can one man possess another man?
                                How can one empire wage war with the lives of others?
                                Why are you not free, like all the others?"

The slaves listened.

"I am here from Sparta!" he continued
                                "In Sparta we have no slaves!
                                Have your leaders not told you about the cruelties of Sparta?
                                They have lied to you!

Sparta is FREEDOOOOM!
                                In Sparta it is forbidden to possess someone else!
                                In Sparta all workers get paid for their jobs.
                                They have homes for themselves
                                The have FREEDOOM!

Slaves of Rome, FREE YOURSELF!"

The slaves started yell and scream.
                                Soon they ran towards the senate, while chanting: "FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM"
                                They killed the guards of the Senate and murdered most senators. Some were captures.

In the meantime Pretaus escaped from the city and found his way back to Rome.

Naval invasion of Rome by Sparta

At the southern shores of Rome an impressing sight appeared at the horizon.
                                Hundreds of Spartan galleys broke out of the mist....

Farmers stopped working their fields.
                                In horror they ran away from the coasts.

"Sparta has come, Sparta has come! Now doom will fall on all of us!" they screamed!

Comment

Working...
                                X