This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just one more thing I will mention.

There is a fair amount of unsettled, valuable land offshore. If you feel pressed for space, make exploration a top priority.

After placing all the starting locations, I sometimes added valuable land off the coast of those who I felt may have gotten less then desirable starts.

The "formula" (not a hard equation but rather my mental choices) for balancing this map was pretty complex. Instead of approaching it from "every civ gets 5 resources, 50 squares to work with, etc...) I incorporated many factors in unequal proportion.

Viking's spot is a good example. Lots of land, but not that many resources, and of those there is hardly no variety.

Some civs have comparatively less land, but perhaps more rivers, resources, etc...

I am sure before the game is over I will hear more complaints, but in the end remember, we were assigned spots randomly, so in that respect it is fair. Also keep in mind that the difference between the "best spot" and the "worst spot" should be relatively small (at least in my opinion, I am sure some will disagree).
    Last edited by Pinchak; July 20, 2008, 13:43.

Comment

• if anyone has any final words for raz now i suggest you tell him. i warned him that entering my borders would ba considered an act of war and since apperently he doesn't get the point his civilizations time on this world will come to an end!!!!!

Comment

• that comment should be in the story thread... and my boat sailed away from the red culture area as soon as i found it.

My boat has been well away from your lands for two turns now.

Comment

• Hey guys, I got a new computer and my version of Civ doesn't mach the host's, I think its probably a patch related issue so here's the question; we are using 3.17 right?
          "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• yes, 3.17
            it's no problem if there's a match difference. Assuming that you're not cheating, of course
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Pinchak. I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no food NEAR those hills, meaning no production. I know city placement. The Russian side of those mountains are all but uninhabitable. No city utilizing those hills can grow bigger than size 4 until Civil Service, and after that not past 8. And that is with nothing but farms and mines. With mills, maybe I can force them up to size 10. By then other civs will be a whole tech era ahead with decent proper cities.

If my spot is not one of the worst, and it is so partly because of the ridiculously much richer land of a neighbour, that has EVERY resource. I can only say that you've greatly erred on the balance issue. Time will tell, and diplomacy and skill will affect the matter, but I can say right away, that Russia is doomed to insignificance.

Comment

• be my guest and try to find a good city site here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Vikings
                  that comment should be in the story thread... and my boat sailed away from the red culture area as soon as i found it.

My boat has been well away from your lands for two turns now.

the comment is just to grab your attention and your bout left but it came back into Japanese waters. this will not stand!

Comment

• be my guest and try to find a good city site here.
                    I see two, one is choice, the other is ok.

directly to the right of where the double red line juts in toward Russia. Right below the corn.

The other one would be some placement that would put the southern corn in your fat cross.

Really though, I can't believe how much land all of you guys allowed Rome to whore up. Tis your own fault IMO.

Perhaps if someone who should have never looked at the map in the first place had not made comments to there being too MANY resources, you would have gotten blessed with more.

My best advice to you, get astronomy and settle unclaimed lands ASAP if you feel you don't have enough space.

Comment

• @ Russia :

Comment

• looks like good land for me to take.

Comment

• Originally posted by deity

Sure, I posted, no one replied, then changes were made after the civ choices..

But that's not the point. I think for future games we should flesh out a bit of a more rational handicap system for better players.

I think vets should not have Fin, Ind, Org nor any religion pre-cursors.

Just a suggestion for future discussion.
                          The reason Fin or Ind were selected, and the thing that started this whole thing was I did a study of all the civs and all the traits chosen in diplogames. And Fin & Ind were far and away the most popular traits. Org was actually one of the least popular traits.

In the various diplogames we've played in Civ4 so far Fin was chosen 29 times and Org was chosen 7 times. Quite clearly the players seem to be unanimous which trait is more powerful. The only trait picked less is protective, which is generally understood to be a lame trait and one that wasn't even around since the beginning like Org was.

I've never used Org much at all and wanted to give it a spin. I think it is ridiculous to call it over powered when clearly no one wants to use it.

Financial---------29
                          Industrial--------21
                          Spiritual----------15
                          Expansive--------12
                          Philosophical-----12
                          Charismatic-------9
                          Aggressive--------8
                          Imperialistic-------8
                          Creative-----------7
                          Organized---------7
                          Protective----------6
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• CRE and PRO for all the good players next time then

Comment

• I like Aggressive myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
                                The fact that you don't mention the most important part of your empire shows your ignorance, Rome :P

As far as I can tell Pinchak's map is ballanced pretty well.
                                Indeed with Rome as the possible exception, but fortunately he doesn't know
                                (maybe one of your neighbours want to help you, ie. Russia. He may want to sell his knowledge to you, I'm not going to intervene in that)

(I've subbed for Rome, so I know his position very well)
                                Story wise I would have no problem hiring Russian advisor's. This could be a good deal for Russia, they help a new player out with a few tips on strategy and their civ is payed a fair price.

It would also guarantee Rome's friendship and cooperation.

Comment

Working...
                                X