Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well i wanted huts, gives my scout something to do, and was hoping for some lucky finds to balance the game against the good players.

Comment

• Ok, for the last time :
      BLUE MARBLE is NOT A MOD !

The scale tool edits the xml files, and is MP compatible .
      The blue marble terrain mod adds new terrain graphics via the "custom assets" folder and is MP compatible too.

It changes nothing but the graphics. So you can use it without the other player(s) using it.

BTW: It will even be active while you play mods. Ryes and fall being an unexplainable (to me) exception.

Comment

• ok, tried it. Works perfect! Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Comment

• np

Comment

• Perhaps there are too many resources? I found heaps. How were they distributed? As many as a script would deliver or did Pincak decide each one?
            I hand selected each one. Some (cow, wheat, iron, clam, etc...) are very plentiful. They had to be, this is a huge size map after all. (dispite this some players *cough, cough, vikings* write storys about their citys starving).

On the other hand, some resources are scarce (realitivly speaking). I can think of 4 or 5 that appear on the map less then 18 times. Even with perfect trade (everyone trades openly with everyone) there would not be enough to go around. In addition to this, some resources are concentrated to one or two or three locations. There will be a few instances where only a handful of civs have control over a resource. This is particuarly true of the tropical start civs, and was done intentionally to offset the jungle.

It was really a catch 22 for me. Too many resorces and people would complain that trade is null and void. Too few and people would complain that i was neglect.

The bottom line is, everyone got a random start, and no, the distrubution is not your classic AI placement. The real trick is to make the most of what you got.

If you are finding "heaps" of resources, chances are you are either landlocked, in a jungle, or don't have as much starting room as others.

Like I mentioned before, to give the map a very unique and realistic feel I had to balance an untraditional way. Only time will tell if it worked.

Comment

• People are sure whining about the map a lot... just play.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• To answer some of the points above.

1. Deity claims Huts make Civ4 Unbalnced and yet makes no mention of the Civ Traits making the game unbalanced. You only have to see how some citys expand culturally quicker than others. This opens up more usuable tiles therefore opening up more options and possibly increasing city expansion through production or food increase or even extra gold. Civ4 is the must unblanced game there is. Which is why huts were necessary to allow those with scouts to get out and about and discover some lucky breaks.

2. Map whining. I have not whined about the map , i mentioned i was disapointed with the lack of huts.

3. Stories. They are stories, they explain why a city planted in 4000BC is still a size one population with a size one culture after 300 years. In real life terms that means the people are starving and people dieing as fast as births occur. It was not a complaint about the map, only a reference to a in game mechanic.

Finally , ignore what is written in my stories in regard to the game mechanics or map design, i write my stories to cover the happenings in the game. I dont write stories of granduer and stuff to hide what i doing. I openly write exactly what is happening in my civ, no secrets. If i have an issue with the game it will be posted here in the organisation thread.

Comment

• why cant we all just forget about beinng balnced or unbalanced and just have fun. just deal with what you were given and play,write stories, do something just stop your b*tching already.

Comment

• The reason for discussion is to allow for improvements next time we play, obviously this game is set in stone. But it is all a learning curve and we need to take not of all points.

If we playing this game for fun and no need for balance, then i hope produce a winner of the game based on the stories and not the game result.

Comment

• Guys, me and my wife have gotten a daughter this morning!

Everything is well! 4250 gram

Name: Sophie (Sophie Jacoba)
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Félicitations !
                        Glückwunsch !
                        Congratulations !

Comment

• Congratulations.

Comment

• Congrats CyberDad
                            ----

About the map. How on Earth is it whning? It was vigilance that uncovered the Archery start tech and the the huts.

I was just making sure the seeds for uncovered resources were set. Vigilance. Best not play 50 turns and find another issue.

I said Pincak did a great job. What is wrong with you guys? Can't we discuss things anymore. Discussing in the thread and enjoying and playing the game are mutually exclusve you realise?
                            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
                              Guys, me and my wife have gotten a daughter this morning!

Everything is well! 4250 gram

Name: Sophie (Sophie Jacoba)
                              Congratulations!

BTW Sophie is a wonderfull name. How did you go about choosing one?
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; June 10, 2008, 07:38.
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X