Diplogame Rules and Victory Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplogame Rules and Victory Discussion

Since we are currently having this discussion in 3 or 4 other threads, lets try to condense everything into one.

Since back in the Civ2 days the end game has always been a difficult time. Most players were unsatisfied with just using the in-game spaceship launch to determine who won. Drake once refered to launching the spaceship as equivilent to a giant nuclear bomb that would wipe out the world and end the game.

Several games, most notably HOTW2 and HOTW4 when the end game came near most people lost all inkling of proper diplogame behavior and just started conquering the world. In both cases this giant war of destruction just led to a lot of bad feelings, arguments, and the game collapsing.

Thus I and others conclude this is not an acceptable way to end a diplogame.

Other attempts have been tried, most notably HOTW3 where we intended to create an alien invasion ending, when we got to a certain point a bunch of powerful alien units would be modded into the game controlled by some outside player (like Eyes of Night or Markus) with the goal of eliminating mankind. If mankind united to destroy them, then we'd all win a cooperative victory.

Sadly we never finished that game, it would have been neat to try, but either way it is definitely a very contrived ending. I think we can do better.

Frank, then Lz, then I (and people at the ApolyCon) have supported some kind of points system coupled with a vote to determine who "won" the game.

With a mix of subjective voting and objective in-game achievements, I think this is the best system to determine a true victor in any game.

I think we should have votes for Diplomacy, Storytelling, and Military accomplishments, as Lz outlined, and then have set points for the following categories/accomplishments:

Traditional victory options:
    First to launch Spaceship - 10 points
    In alliance with first to launch spaceship - 5 points
    Winning diplomatic victory - 10 points
    In alliance with civ winning diplomatic victory - 5 points
    Longest time served as Secretary General - 5 points
    Most proposed UN votes passed - 3
    Highest population - 8 points
    Highest land area - 8 points
    Most wonders - 6 points
    First to circumnavigate the globe - 3 points

Religion:
    Founding a religion - 2 points
    Builder of the most missionaries - 3 points
    Founder of a religion with over 25% distribution - 5 points

Technology:
    First to invent liberalism - 4 points
    First to invent fusion - 4 points
    First to invent economics - 4 points
    First to invent physics - 4 points
    First to invent music - 4 points

Culture:
    Having the top cultural city - 5 points
    Haivne the 2nd most cultural city - 4 points
    Having the 3rd most cultural city - 3 point
    Having the highest total culture - 6 points
    City with legendary culture - 4 points

Plus as Lz said, all surviving players get 10 points to vote in the categories of diplomacy, storytelling, and military accomplishments that should be divided up into 4, 3, 2, 1 for who we think is 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th in that area.

(or if we want to lessen the subjective share of the point pool we can give each player 6 points in each category distributed 3, 2, 1)

I think this provides for a good mix of real victory acheivements, other in-game achievements, and rewards for meta concepts like war, diplomacy, and storytelling.

The game ends when either a spaceship, diplomatic or cultural victory is acheived in game. Then we go to the forum and tally up the points and take the vote.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

That looks like a very good start you've got there, Ozzy. A good spread of achievements, though the actual values would probably need some more tweaking.
    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Re: Diplogame Victory

Sounds good for the most part...

Originally posted by OzzyKP
      First to launch Spaceship - 10 points
      In alliance with first to launch spaceship - 5 points
      I would suggest something mre along the lines of:

Spaceship Victory - 30 points shared equally amongst all winning team members

Basically, it breaks down to the concept that working alone can offer higher rewards to offset the greater risks. Of course it doesn't have to be 30 points, but the concept is what I'm trying to get across.
      Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Agreed with MMC, and 10 points is fine for voting.

Comment

Re: Re: Diplogame Victory

Good idea MMC.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I agree that more points should be awarded for an in-game win. I don't think it should be shared equally. The civ that launches the space ship is most probably a more advanced / producing civ then the others in the alliance and it should be awarded for that.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

It depends on what kind of alliance.

For example, there is in HOTWV a resource alliance, that if someone in it completed the SS, the people in the alliance wouldn't win just because they were allies.

However, if a scenario arose where one Civ said, "I'll build the SS, you support me with money," etc, that ally civ should definetely win too.

Comment

Having one pot to split up also encourages smaller alliances instead of one big 5-6 nation alliance.

Comment

I'd say there should be a limit to the number of civs who are concidered to be an alliance. Never more then 2, in example. Then the in-game winner should say who his 2 most important allies were.

Comment

Trying to do this after the fact for our current game is very hard. There's going to be the cry that the point structure is rigged to favor a certain play style. Achieving many of these point schemes encourages what I would call bad game play in general.

For example, "Highest population" is can be easily skewed with a few super cities, while the next door empire, with 50 size 10 cities, has 5 times the number of squares being worked, but a lower population on the demographics screen.

Culture, beyond a cultural victory condition, is pointless. If the city is not on the border and preserving/taking other peoples lands, then encouraging for points is pointless from a gameplay perspective.

You could focus on wonders, but if one player builds wonders, and another makes 15 tanks with the sheilds instead, and the game ends in a virtual tie, who is to say one is better than the other?

The UN, as it exists, can't be trusted. Otherwise we'll have global world wars just so people can get 2nd in population and pass a resolution.

Rewarding technology....if you're tech was so great and came first....why did'nt you build the spaceship?

Land Area seems reasonable, but then when you consider the great disparity between starting locations and available land...

Religions focus on giving a bonus to anyone whose spirtual I guess. Building missonaries? Why not just count income since all missionaries can do is give you +1 gold since the religion has little to no diplomatic effect outside of war weariness, and that's only if you adopt the religion.

Awarding points for posts is like going to OT and trying to get highest post count. Plus, a diplo game isn't a history class or a novel. Beyond bringing others into the game who otherwise wouldn't experience it, and facilitating our diplomacy they shouldn't be adding or taking away from our in game civ.

I hate to just smash away at your idea without presenting my own yet, but its late and I dont think I can collect it all yet.

Comment

Frank sums it up pretty good.

Comment

Yes, it's not too clear yet.

You can't get away from the fact that there is going to be a game mechanics wnner whch is wher the game stops.

This is the traditional winner and world domination needs to remain an outside possibility; as does cultural victory etc etc...

Beyond that I still think my system of a point for each diplomatic/war achievement is warranted. This rating doesn't need to include anything that is covered by the game points winner or the game mechancs winner.

This thrird winner is the diplo winner and I reckon we should unofficially set up a spreadsheet with the various objective critieria as mentiuoned by me, ozzy, Frank and lz and see what transpires...

Then set up an objective points vote and see what transpires.

This can be regarded as entirely experimantal for HOTW5 but will help solidify our thoughts for HOTW7.
                        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

If we include techs in the criteria I think Democracy and Astronomy need to be in there as major objectives.
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Hypothetically...

obviously wrong but just foods for thought...
                            Attached Files
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

This is why we need finer detail about specific diplo 'events'.

Eg America and Germany will get a lot of points from each city it's taken.

Russia will get more from peace summits etc etc...
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                              X