No announcement yet.

I am trying to bring back Diplogames...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am confirming i can play this comming weekend in both games.

Comment

• I can play in either of the games, but I would prefer to play in only one. I choose Saturday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by deity

Hey ozzy, I've already confirmed twice that I'm definite for Saturday night!

I'm Xia of the Xianbei! AND I have Ind/Fin traits...
        What about Friday? Can you confirm for Friday too?

USA Friday Night (Aussie Saturday Afternoon)
        Capo (confirmed) - Rome - Julius Caesar
        Ozzy (confirmed) - India - Gandhi
        Deity (confirmed?)
        Master-Mike (confirmed)
        Deity Dude
        Seventy7Ways

USA Saturday Night (Aussie Sunday Afternoon)
        Frank Johnson (confirmed) - Mongols - Kublai Khan
        Deity (confirmed) - Xianbei - Xia (China)
        Ljube (confirmed) - Russia - Catherine
        Trev (confirmed)
        Aussie Lurker (confirmed)
        Master-Mike (confirmed)
        Deity Dude
        Seventy7Ways

OK, then, I updated the list based on what people have said, so it looks like we've already got 6 confirmed players for the Saturday game. So unless someone decides to switch, I'll move myself over to Friday.

Deity Dude and Seventy7Ways, can you both play on Friday? If so then we've got 6 and 6 (assuming Deity plays both games). Plus we've got 3 vets in each game, so I think this is working out well. Thanks everyone for being patient through this.

*Hopefully* the patch will be released this week and we can get started this weekend. Trev of course can't make it this weekend, so we will need a good sub for him. Or the Saturday game can delay a week.

This means everyone needs to pick a civ, since I need to customize TWO maps now. Both are time consuming, so PLEASE let me know ASAP what civ you want to be for each game so I can set this up.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• btw, everyone signed up to play in this game should also sign up for the Diplogame civgroup: http://apolyton.net/civgroups/news.php?s=&civgroupid=52

Lets wear our D with honor.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Arent' the Australians involved in some type of Aussie game that occurs on Saturdays in Australia already? Thus limiting whether they can play on Friday (US) or Saturday (US)?
            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Ozzy...

Also, I noticed in MP that your name is also your leaders name, is there any way to change this so I can assume different names throughout the game (ie Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, Caligula, Pertinax, Trajan etc.)?

I'm not necessarily worried about the traits, just the name. Last night was the first MP I've played and I'm at school right now so I don't have the game with me. But I guess I could check when I get home today.

Sorry if I've been annoying to anybody lately, I've been in a pissy mood because I have a broken arm and can't work so I haven't been able to spend the kind of money I'm accustomed to, so I stay in most nights now, and Civilization is new and I'm all excited to start playing it again. So if I've been a dick to you guys I apologize, I don't mean it at all, I just really want to play despite the fact that I probably suck ass at Civ IV (actually this was confirmed last night), but anyway sorry to anyone I've offended.

By the way this is about as close to a good apology you're going to get out of an idiot like me, so appreciate it.

So I am going to be the Romans, with Julius Caesar's traits, but my first King's name will be "Romulus Latinus," before we play I will post a story explaining how Rome began, so I have already been planning out a storyline/family tree for this royal family.
              "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Apology accepted.

As for the leader names, it will be way too much work to change the names in game for each civ's leader every session. So you will "officially" be Julius Caesar the entire game, so we are all going to have to just ignore that and pretend to be whatever leader we want for our story lines.

Also, what does everyone think about turning on the "epic" option? That should slow down tech advancement and other stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would lengthen the game, which would be a good thing I think.

In the test game Capo and I played last night we had 3 people in it, and while the game ran really slow, we got all the way to 1 AD in like 2-3 hours of game play.

Because of simultaneous moves Civ4 goes MUCH faster than Civ2. Instead of waiting for all 6 or 7 people to move every turn, we all go at the same time. While in one sense going faster is pretty nice, it also poses a problem for diplogames. If we only have like 6 sessions for a full game, then the story writing will suffer a lot. Imagine if Capo and I had to recap 4000 years worth of history in one week.

So I'm going to test out epic and see how that goes.

Though I suppose if Deity is playing in both games then we'll already be slowed down quite a lot. :P

Comment

• Oh, about that speed...

APPARENTLY the computer I was using was downloading the entire season of Rome on HBO. So that is why it was slow, I think.

As far as changing the names; what I NOTICED was our names (not the names of our leaders) appear as our names in the game. What I was asking was whether or not in the game set-up screen where your name appears (for instance "TheCapo" or "OzzyKP") is it possible to change THAT name to say something else (like in HOTW2 we were able to change our leader's name each time), so in the chat window it shows up as my leaders name?

If this is not possible can you just change Julius Caesar to say "S.P.Q.R."?

One Love.

Comment

• Probably not if we use the lobby since its our Gamespy login, but by IP.... maybe.

Comment

• Yeah but when I started an SP game last night in the same window I was able to click and change my name from Julius Caesar to "Gaius Julius Caesar," so I'm thinking it might work out. Again I am at school so when I get home I'll check it out, because this would be sort of useful to me as I will almost have a different leader each session.

I think we should start splitting the group into two rosters now also. Like, not just see who can play but who will actually be in which game, because we're going to need to know that in order to determine which tribes are going to be used.

One Love.

Comment

• Um yea, that's what I did above. See my last chart. If someone is marked as (confirmed) then that is the game they are playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Capo
                          Yeah but when I started an SP game last night in the same window I was able to click and change my name from Julius Caesar to "Gaius Julius Caesar," so I'm thinking it might work out. Again I am at school so when I get home I'll check it out, because this would be sort of useful to me as I will almost have a different leader each session.
                          It looks like something of this nature might be possible with a mod, if someone with a bit more free time wants to try it, the method I found that looks promising is CyGame.setName
                          bellum omne contra omnes

Comment

• So Master-Mike and Deity are going to play in both games? I'm pretty sure they're already in a game on Saturdays (in Australia) so it would be hard for them to play in two games in one day, let alone three games over the course of one weekend, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I agree with Ozzy that we should put the game on "epic" speed, its a Diplogame anyway so its supposed to be epic.
                            Last edited by The Capo; November 21, 2005, 17:33.

One Love.

Comment

• Well this is from Mike himself:

Originally posted by Master-Mike
                              I am confirming i can play this comming weekend in both games.
                              Works for me.

Comment

• I hereby confirm that Seventy7Ways, will be playing both Friday & Saturday come hell or high water....unless I break my neck trying to run for an xbox 360 on the day after thanksgiving sale at Target....( They are letting people lineup outside, and run for electronics section first come first serve ).

Cant wait to see some 12yr old impaled on a kiosk

Comment

Working...
                                X