It seems I'm not alone in disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Generaldoktor

See "partial retraction" of yesterday's rant above. Our worst drug problem is people on "happy drugs" or their own self-induced trip, including the legendary "opiate of the masses," who see only a bright side as the ship we call this country teeters on the brink. Firaxis' irresponsibility in the manner of their game release is only a microcosmic example of the problem.

You don't need me to get you your Prozac. I can see you're already on it.

Does that include people who log on to game forums and make posts about how perceptive are their eyes and how profound are their thoughts and how they and only they understand the true extent of the moral sewer into which Christianity and the Republican Party are leading America, and how all these things are reflected in their taste in video games?
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

Does that include people who log on to game forums and make posts about how perceptive are their eyes and how profound are their thoughts and how they and only they understand the true extent of the moral sewer into which Christianity and the Republican Party are leading America, and how all these things are reflected in their taste in video games?
      No, people such as myself, who is not, by the way, truly well described by your summation; are primarily reactive rather than proactive. If I hadn't been prompted, I probably wouldn't have responded with such "profundity," though problems in the world have been on my mind lately along with problems with this certain game product.

This has all been fascinating, but we should probably make an attempt to get back on topic.
      You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

Personally, the only thing I was disappointed with was the Civilopedia...

Given all the cool information (and flat out ease of use) that was in Civ III's Civilopedia I was shocked at how un-intuitive Civ IV's is...

Comment

There is a Major Memory issue in Civ IV. A fix has been produced that really does work. The thread is sprinting towards 32,000 hits at the time of this post - all in 4 Days!

Its not a dubious amateur hack. If you get CTDs - slow down - reboots - massive save files etc - go now to this thread, its put Firaxis to shame

Current version of the fix is not compatible with 1.52. It either does nothing or crashes. Update addressing this issue is on its way. The patch I was coding during last month is finally out. The patch is compatible with 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4. So, here we go. You will need 3...

Regards
          Zy

Comment

Why complain all the time all you hear on these threads are complaints. I seem to be the only one who really likes the game and its new fetures.

Comment

The thread is titled 'It seems I'm not alone in disappointment', so it's reasonable to expect players who are not happy with the game to voice their opinions here...after all, if someone paid for the game and did not like it, or was not happy with the way the game performs on their system, they should be free to say so.

Freedom of expression - gotta love it!!!

and it is only a game.
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Firaxis have nothing to be ashamed about. Civ 4 is an amazing game, extremely deep and regardless of what people may believe, revolutionary. The level of strategic gameplay allowed is more advanced than any other Civ game, or TBS that I have seen.

The game did not work for me in the beginning. I even posted here (in the help forum). After that I phoned technical support. A few quick e-mails later and a talk to a Firaxis techie, my problem was solved. Game now runs perfectly.

In my eyes, the people equating the value of CIV to the performance of the program on a small percentage of customer machines are missing two very important points. Firstly, that in any computer program of this sized ushered along by the marketing department there have always been bugs and show-stoppers. Consider that 0.01% of the market of CIV is still a large number of people. Second is the game itself, the substance of the game. You can't take a tutorial, a civilopedia and some rather normal crashing issues as the whole sum of the game.

Comment

Working...
                X