No announcement yet.

What is your greatest wish for Civ 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toby, I am guessing Arthur was Cornish, as he was supposed to have controled that part of England, but I do not know much about the different celtic groups in the early dark ages so that is just an assumption.

Comment

I want an improved combat system It seems as though that will already be implemented and I will be happy with more variety of units longer unit life span with chances to improve it's EXP or equipment such as little upgrades.
      I want to controll living cities I hope that cities or groups of cities can be built in a variety of ways and with a variety of pros and cons giving them a feeling of being unique
      DIPLOMACY + TRADE!!!
      I want to be able to negoiate peace as a third party. I want Defense agreements just for an idvidual country. I want to be able to guarentee a countries safety. Practically I want EU, Victoria and other games from paradox plaza level of diplomatic options available on the diplomatic table of civ3 and also CTP options such as limiting pollution, no trespassing, no piracy. Piracy brings me to trade If they don't want to make the game more complex and increase micro managment then just use the Galatic civilization style of trade and I hope it has the same importance as it did in GC

Longer Ages and more techs within an age If the combat system I mentioned is provided and the living city concept, trade and diplomacy then longer ages would be natural then the player wouldn't be bogged down in micro management and would recieve greater gratification of creating something and guiding something

DON'T BETRAY YOUR FANS. LISTEN TO THE POST ON THIS SITE. NOBODY WANTS TINY IMPROVEMENTS WE WANT A REVOLUTIONARY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE WANT VALUE1
      Strategy Games For Strategy Gamers!

Comment

Civ 3 made trade both harder and easlier to conduct- harder in the begining of the game, easier later on once roads/harbours were built.

The attitude programmed into the AI diplomatic model can earn you a fortune in the middle era, but once you hit the Industrial era and the "annoyed" and furious" attitudes of the AI take over, It becomes nearly pointless trading at all.

I did like the time and effort to send 3 caravans out from each city in Civ 2- other Island nations were most profitable, and the main reason I built warships early.

Perhaps building a caravan to begin trade to a nation, but once at war, the trade ceases, and the caravan can then travel to a new Capital city?

I suspect that in 3D the world will be rather smaller, and thus the nation sizes, so this isn't as daft as it may sound?

If Civ 4 allows 100+ citiy nations then the above is good, if less then 50, then even internal trade is good, and it's easy for the AI programming as well.

Odin,

Cheers mate- I doubt we'll ever know unless an Archeologist makes a stonking discovery in either nation.

Toby

Comment

The impact of trade in CIV2 and CIV3 in regards to the power of your nations was almost irrelevant.

I agree with the caravans being reintroduced whilst maintaning the strategic and luxury resource trade seperate. But not only do I want it to stop when at war I want to keep trade embargos and increase the value of trade from caravans which is a substanable profit provided war and embargo's are not declared.

I also would like common market which would increase the profit of those countries trading within that market.
          And most importantly a AI that would be able to make decisions to upset the top powers such as markets that increase the power of lesser powers

But common markets I can forget about so long as there is a general increase in the value of trade

Comment

Originally posted by ozmono1914
            I want an improved combat system It seems as though that will already be implemented and I will be happy with more variety of units longer unit life span with chances to improve it's EXP or equipment such as little upgrades.
            I want to controll living cities I hope that cities or groups of cities can be built in a variety of ways and with a variety of pros and cons giving them a feeling of being unique
            DIPLOMACY + TRADE!!!
            I want to be able to negoiate peace as a third party. I want Defense agreements just for an idvidual country. I want to be able to guarentee a countries safety. Practically I want EU, Victoria and other games from paradox plaza level of diplomatic options available on the diplomatic table of civ3 and also CTP options such as limiting pollution, no trespassing, no piracy. Piracy brings me to trade If they don't want to make the game more complex and increase micro managment then just use the Galatic civilization style of trade and I hope it has the same importance as it did in GC

Longer Ages and more techs within an age If the combat system I mentioned is provided and the living city concept, trade and diplomacy then longer ages would be natural then the player wouldn't be bogged down in micro management and would recieve greater gratification of creating something and guiding something

DON'T BETRAY YOUR FANS. LISTEN TO THE POST ON THIS SITE. NOBODY WANTS TINY IMPROVEMENTS WE WANT A REVOLUTIONARY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE WANT VALUE1
            Ozmono,

That is a stonking reply!! Well done, You've said more in fewer words than I could have.

If the producers of Civ 4 could talk to the developers of EU (Paradox) the world might really get a game that would "stand the test of time"

Toby

Comment

Ozmono,

What? a common market like the Commonwealth one used to be? Nar, the Commonwealth meant the Yanks didn't like that we all provided each other with what we needed within the Commonwealth, those pesky Germans started a war, and finally declared war on those pesty Americans Churchill so wanted, after we'd been fighting already for 3 years, but now those pesky Germans already owned all factories, mines and manpower in Europe, but really cos those pesky Japanese that liked the Germans and used to be allied to the British since they met them and but.......now we sell cheap grain we can't sell in Europe and America to Africa, keeps 'em alive, if the 50 cents subsidy was lifted they might even grow their own were it not for a famine and the subsidy- lazy bastards.

Trade is how you view it.

My piss-taking above is to mock how modern trade is compared to genuine trade even in 1900.

Toby

Comment

DIVERSITY!!! DIVERSITY!!! DIVERSITY!!!

I want diverse governments, diverse gameplay methods, diverse military actions, diverse diplomacy, diverse AI, diverse units, diverse buildings, and more diversity.

The diversity of the game is what truly makes it great; there has clearly been lots of diversity in the Civ games up till now, which is what makes the game truly remarkable, and how much Civ4 can add onto that will determine just how good the game will be. Civ4 will be great; I'm not in question about that but how great will it be?
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Toby in relation to this game do you beleive that there should be a general increase in the importance of profits from trade?

Comment

Heh!

Just diversity in diplomacy would please me a lot.

Having a British Man'o' War as a unique unit in the Nuclear era whilst trying to build a Spaceship didn't seen like much of a bonus to me!!

Having "furious" Russians that once attacked me 200 years ago ,without reason, and remaining "Annoyed" as I simply refused to attack them back is stupid.

Diverse Diplomacy?

If the programmers of Civ 4 listen to anything, then even a logical "your pissiing me off mate", or a US "back off buddy" type of response would be most welcome in diplomacy if Civ 4 ignores diplomacy as well.

The human players need a serious response button to the irrationality Civ 3 has in diplomacy, I really pray Civ 4 diplomacy has a decent AI.

Comment

• I don't mean diversity as in UUs when concerning diverse units. I mean diversity when you think of using marines, artillery, tanks, infantry, air power, etc... all combined when attacking in the modern era. Make the units diverse and all of them actually worthwhile.

Diversity with regard to diplomacy I mean different alliances and different levels of peace and war than just peace - happy with each other, peace - unhappy, and war. There needs to be varying degrees of peace and war.

By diversity I didn't mean absurdity.
                      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• But that's what I mean as well!

At the moment I'm wondering if the programmers can even programme the concept of "Combined Arms" into Civ 4, let alone not be "furious" with failing to understand my lack of appreciation if.....

I'm furious!

I've vented my spleen and bored many to tears in so doing it.

But in 1992-ish to now? Civ 3 producers could only come up with more pollution, armies and cultural influence as idea's? After millions had brought the original game, is this the best they managed? "furious" and "annoyed" within your world as you tried to be peaceful, no chance.

I did get annoyed trying to be peaceful, as it was a "given" that it was impossible.

Toby

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby Rowe
                          But that's what I mean as well!

At the moment I'm wondering if the programmers can even programme the concept of "Combined Arms" into Civ 4, let alone not be "furious" with failing to understand my lack of appreciation if.....

I'm furious!

I've vented my spleen and bored many to tears in so doing it.

But in 1992-ish to now? Civ 3 producers could only come up with more pollution, armies and cultural influence as idea's? After millions had brought the original game, is this the best they managed? "furious" and "annoyed" within your world as you tried to be peaceful, no chance.

I did get annoyed trying to be peaceful, as it was a "given" that it was impossible.

Toby
                          I think they've done a little more than that lol, but I understand what you're saying. I never played the first Civ so all of my experience is based off of Civ2 and beyond. I'm not sure how legit or incredulous the story of Brian Renolds leaving the Civ3 project and the effects; if it is mostly true how damaging it was to the game, then I can understand how Civ3 didn't shape out to be better than what I thought it was going to be. At least this time around the Civ4 game isn't going to be based off of a game engine that was designed for P1/P2s. Hopefully that will allow for a lot more diversity (ah, there's that word) in Civ4.

I really like the idea of that AoM game on Succession. "In AOM from early in ancient times until you discover modern Democracy, you must maintain a strong line of succession at all times. However, it is a balancing act. Your King will not live forever. If you have too many successors waiting for too long, history has shown that they may rebel and attempt to overthrow you and this is reflected in AOM." I'm hoping Civ4 takes on some revolutionary ideas, while sticking to the main theme of Civ. Maybe Religion will have a daunting effect on Civ4. They'll probably start releasing more info as E3 approaches. I think I remember Firaxis releasing a lot of info about Civ3 days before E3.

Comment

• Hi mate,

Great as Sid Meiyer is, the original Civ still had the same irrationality in diplomacy, until you had nuclear weapons, when they suddenly became "polite", whilst before I think they were also at least "annoyed" from the industrial age onwards, again without any reason to be so.

The game you linked looks like it might be a real corker- but providing random events can be switched off, unlike EU, but like Sim City.

I want to build a nation, not have to put out random "fires" a programmer dreamt of, they tend to destroy, rather than enhance a good game.

In EU II they provided the "cheat" codes to simply turn them off, although it wasn't an option for a game, it was a step in the right direction.

Reynolds? Wasn't he the other chap who created the original Civ with Sid?

Whilst you see Succession as a strengh in AOM, I see it as a potential weakness- I remember buying Shogun I think it was called- I was having a rocking but defensive game and really enjoying every moment of it, I went to go to the next turn, and my Shogun died without a heir- that was it, end of game, I really was furious and never played it again!!

I'd invested so much time and energy in my little bit of Japan and then something so silly as a randomly generated heir failing to appear destroyed my two weeks of careful playing!

If the line of succession is problematic because there are too many heirs, that would also annoy me. Their example of Poland also seemed inaccurate to me- I thought it was a Swedish and Russian issue regarding the Polish Crown, due to the politics the Poles employed at the time?

If only 3 examples can be given to justify the idea in history just give us a heir, but keep historical events in the game at all cost, however annoyed the English Civil War in EUII makes me!!

Apart from that, the game looks good

Toby

Comment

• I agree the AI's moods are very predictable and simple; it's one of my main gripes, especially with Civ3.

That game link I got from someone who I thought mentioned it in one of these Civ4 threads. There should be a link about the game in the Community forum I believe it is. The game is basically a HUGE Mod of CtP2, almost making it a new game in and of itself.

The way you describe succession in Shogun sounds terrible to me, too, so if that's the way the AoM game has it implemented I don't think I would like it very much. A random heir being generated and leaving you with nothing but fate isn't very strategic or fun, IMO. It would be nice if you automatically got an heir to the thrown/presidency/leader based on the overall corruption level of your empire, capitol, or some determing meter. So if your capitol or empire is full of corruption expect a leader to follow that lead. Maybe some sort of randomness could be added to what type of leader you get but only to a small degree.

Comment

• It's been a while so it is time for a rant on randomness in Civ.

Basically it shouldn't be there to any conspicuous degree. I do not mean the combat model should be deterministic, rather that you shouldn't have major events that can cripple your Civ no matter how well you prepare. I know people will argue that it's realistic for unforseen acts of god to affect you, and it's all about how you react, but to my mind these factors impact unfavourably on the overall strategic challenge that the game poses, and Civ4 will hopefully not have them, or have a toggle to turn them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X