X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think he is very pragmatic.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• I really hope that the shared victory works.

Or that you can turn it off.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Without water, the game would make a mokery of a Navy- Civ 3 abused all rules, not just naval, now we know Civ 4 is on the way we can relax , and forget how bad Civ 3 is in this area.

Like I said: This game goes straight from Civ2 to 4 as 3 is so bad (except for the army idea- your worst nightmare if the army isn't yours. If the AI nations are Mongol, Russian or Roman, but what a diversion from nation building!!)- and I think most fans want that most.

The army idea is good- you'll win, but who wins if the army is an AI one?

I'd like logical reasoning by the developers- they merely have to view history to view if it happened (not Alexander!)

Toby

Comment

• Proteus,

I made very clear my opposition to the Sci-fi model, as you should realise- you quoted me.

This game is about changing history, not distorting it- unlike the film U577 (?) etc,etc. (whatever the number of the boat)

Perhaps this is a problem, our 6 year war against a leader that could produce 4 times more, and even produce Dutch, Danish, Czech , French and Belguim soldiers (et al) whilst we fought for freedom, alone.

Current Britons? I blame nobody from any nation for being pissed off with us either, were it not for the 3 billion subsidy France has whilst they demand the 4 billion for the farmers they already have, now the Central European Nations have joined, France must understand that 50% of the budget is spent on her! It must stop.

She is now a parasite within Europe and it is time Europe stood upto her vision of Europe which is based in 1950 upon her. I appaude the French for standing up for workers rights, but it just too late.....

India is now getting most jobs, manufacturing is gone to China and India, Europe has had it's day, as has the US- What angers me most is ALL our Governments encourage it- based upon the US free-trade model us Britiish invented.

This model will bite us one day, and begining to wonder about the French model-- Protectionism isn't so bad after all.

Africa can get a free market on agriculture, damn! I've gone full circle, but a dream of a Europe not consisting of 4.1 billion subsidies to French farmers would be good, although setting up as a Czech farmer wouldn't help, so I won't bother....

Comment

• Originally posted by Swissy
            AI is for those who have no hope for high-speed internet connection. However good it is it will be overcome. Multiplayer is the most important aspect in the next generation of civ. So what if you can beat the game, try beating a number of excellent players who can trash the AI just as well as you can. It would be a far more rewarding playing experience.
            Nah, Civ can't compete with MMORPG's, a basic shooter, or even a simple chess game, if PvP floats your boat.

I play turn-based strategy games for relaxation, or when I need to go afk a lot. It's the extreme patience of a computer opponent that I play turn-based games for, and a good AI would make things more interesting.
            Last edited by Tommar; June 28, 2005, 03:01.

Comment

• My greatest wish for Civ 4 is that it be SMAC2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommar
                My greatest wish for Civ 4 is that it be SMAC2.
                You will be disappointed. This is Civ, not SMAC. Two similar, but different games.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• I'd like to see both.

Comment

• That I can agree on! I'd love to see SMAC2 after cIV's release.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai

You will be disappointed. This is Civ, not SMAC. Two similar, but different games.
                      Not really. SMAC did a much better job of being an improved version of Civ 2 than Civ 3 did. The alien planet, new tech stuff is superficial. It's unfortunate that it didn't have the Civ name, because it's a lot more like an upgraded Civ 2 than Civ 3 was. Civ 3 was a step down from SMAC.

But yeah, you're right, Civ 3 was an entirely different game than Civ 2 or SMAC. It pretty much sucked. Does that make it more "Civ" than Civ 2 or SMAC?

I dunno. I do know that if Civ 4 is along the lines of Civ 3 (instead of Civ 2 and SMAC), I won't buy it.
                      Last edited by Tommar; June 29, 2005, 02:46.

Comment

• Civ is civ, SMAC is civ in space in the future. A historical based game is not the same as a sci-fi game. Don't misunderstand me, I liked SMAC very much, it was a fantastic game. But it's not civ. Lots of the ideas from SMAC can, and will, be used in a form or another, but as I see it, cIV can't be = SMAC2. I want a separate game for that anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                          Civ is civ, SMAC is civ in space in the future. A historical based game is not the same as a sci-fi game. Don't misunderstand me, I liked SMAC very much, it was a fantastic game. But it's not civ.
                          I understand. I just think that the time period difference is superficial compared to game play and user interface.

Comment

• If modding is as good as they say it is, can't you just make a SMAC mod yourself?
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Plans exist to mod it into SMAC, but without as much as possible of the known bugs.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• I picked atmosphere. Make the game world seem alive. The AI can never satisfy everyone, but I know they'll try. However with Civ3 they junked the atmosphere. This time it seems they are bringing it back (wonder movies, orcestral music, etc). I love to be drawn into the world. It makes it more addictive for me.

Now to have voice actors read quotes for all the tech advances, like they had in SMAC. That would really make me have to change my pants .
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X