Worker 1st or workboat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    Assuming it's the setup of "Sea special and Fishing", then workboat more often than worker. The problem is that the workboat takes a very long time to produce (30h at often 1h/turn), so a worker will produce a faster increase in production (you usually can have a worker out in 10-15 turns), or you have to choose a suboptimal tile to work (2/1 forest for a nearly 15 turn workboat and a whopping 1 pop growth over a worker start, or 1/2 forest for a 10 turn workboat and less than 1 growth over a worker start). The worker also ends up giving you much more in the long run than the workboat.
    I go with the worker usually, quoted post explains my reasoning. I used to go with WB but found worker better.

Comment

To repeat the point made earlier, when building a workboats first a 0/3/0 or 1/2/0 tiles IS optimal.

Comment

I have a hard time conceiving of building worker or settler in a size one city. I often build a settler before the first worker if horses or copper call, as the worker can catch up while the new city builds defender and another worker once it is at least size 2. But I've only recently begun to actively use slaving, so that might put the kibbosh on that old strategy.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion
          To repeat the point made earlier, when building a workboats first a 0/3/0 or 1/2/0 tiles IS optimal.
          I'll give that a try. In the past I've usually timed it so that the workboat was built just as the city grows a size so that I get more tiles producing the worker. Has there been some analysis done to show that it's always better to focus on hammers to get the workboat out without caring about growth?

Comment

I tried building a settler once from game start. It was cool to have 2 cities well before everyone else but my capital took a long time afterwards to get up to speed.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Definitely workboat first.

One of the few no-brainers as far as I am concerned (OK I am sure there are some SP starts where it wouldn't be right but I can't think of one).

I'm intrigued how many people like to start building warriors. Can never see the point myself. Even with raging barbarians and aggressive neighbours in SP you never need troops that early. Scouting, well yes, but your first warrior/scout can handle it to start with.

Comment

I really don't see the point in waiting for the city to grow to size 2 or 3 before building a worker. A size 2 city has only 1 food/hammer more towards a worker than a size 1 city. You'll get the worker out much faster if you don't wait, and then your city will grow a lot faster if you improve a food resource.

But I don't improve any tile. I chop worker-warrior-settler. The warrior often comes right away with overflow of hammers. Now you have two cities and although your capital is still size 1, you can chop that workboat AND improve a food tile, making your city catch up in no time. At the same time you have a worker by your second city.

Comment

yeah, i'll work that 0/3/0 square for the workboat since it's a pretty even trade off. work boat earlier doubling the food to get to size 2 twice as quick.

In MP you have to start on a warrior if you're going to explore with your original unit. Otherwise another player will come in and take your cap. YOu don't have to complete it, just get it within enough turns that if someone shows you can switch back and complete it before they can reach your city proper.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I always build a worker as soon as possible... i should try switching it up. On a side note i have fallen in love with playing with raging barbarians on!
                    Strength & Honor!

Comment

Originally posted by Zenn-La
                      I always build a worker as soon as possible... i should try switching it up. On a side note i have fallen in love with playing with raging barbarians on!
                      That choice, when combined with the workboat dilemma, leads directly to an early requirement for sailing and metal casting. These allow you to build ships to defend those tiles. Otherwise, the raging barbs galleys will snuff your fishing boats then hang around to taunt you about it.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I find that barb galleys arrive late enough not to worry about them early on... certainly the land barbs are 1st priority!
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

For the starting city, it's always a work boat even if I don't start with Fishing. The City will grow while producing the work boat and following completion of the work boat worker production rate will increase.

Now for other cities I found I get a more established city to build both the work boat(s) and worker(s) it needs in the near future whenever possible.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                            For the starting city, it's always a work boat even if I don't start with Fishing. The City will grow while producing the work boat and following completion of the work boat worker production rate will increase.
                            Workboats require fishing, don't they?
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I believe so...

Comment

Certainly. But that doesnt make joncnunn statement invalid, since the question is ´worker or workboat first ?´. He might build a warrior before both, while researching fishing and then build a workboat before he builds a worker. I guess that is what he wanted to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X