BtS unofficial patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated

This is probably the last update. As Alexman said, the real patch is probably some three weeks away, and in all likelihood then I won't be updating this again. At any rate, we have a bunch of Blake's AI tweaks again and a couple of small changes by myself.

* Fixed possible negative inflation situation (thanks Esper23)
    * AI prefers to poison water supply of cities with a low food bar to ensure population loss.
    * Fixed bug causing the new capitulation behavior to malfunction.
    * Fixed bug causing units to sit around outside cities.
    * AI now knows how to use Steal Tech and Incite Revolt
    * AI's may choose to not be espionage "petty terrorist" and instead only use large espionage missions (like steal tech and sabotage project).
    * AI uses spies more smartly (camps them in cities to get the discount)
    * AI values espionage buildings more
    * Another couple of minor changes to governors
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• solver you're awesome.

Comment

• If you like this, you should first and foremost thank Blake

Comment

• Ok, guess I did misunderstand how it works - thanks for clearing that up.

Bh

Comment

• Caravel Stacks of Doom (their own)?

Hey Solver,

While I've never seen the issue addressed directly in any of the stated fixes, any clue if many of these other improvements around waging war and improved governors have indirectly fixed and or reduced the tendency of the AI to make the vast but unused stacks of caravels?

Comment

• No, I don't think so.

Comment

• So is it still a mystery or actually involves more than mere DLL tweaking?

Comment

• Thanks Solver & Blake.

Putting into RtW (beta 3 was waiting for this last update. )

Comment

• One for you Solver

I signed up to this forum just because of finding a reading this patch by Solver. Thanks for your excellent work and committment.

I have a problem - I think its a bug, but you tell me. I like to play sometimes as a foot-print player. I do very little waring in the early years. I slaughter off entirely 1 or 2 in the middle game. Then I take a chunk out of the other civs late game - i don't have the patience to find and kill every single city you know? Just want them under my foot.

I took Moscow in 1950. On the north of it I had taken 2 other cities, and south of it are 2 still Russian. By 1972 my culture (nationality) was still only at 20%. It was taking 2 turns to get it to go up by 1%, and that was by me switching ALL my focus to Culture, (no research, no gold) and the City itself to culture output (generating 246 per turn).

At that rate it was useless! I saw mention of mod here that makes mini-bombs of missionaries. So I tried an experiment to the extreme - I wanted to know just how much culture of my own had to be added to get my nationality way up in Moscow. I ended up making a missionary that was dropping 300,000 culture as a great work, and did 4 of them to Moscow in one turn.

Over 1.2 MILLION culture - and still, the nationality only edged up by 1% per turn. Now.. doesn't that strike you as something being wrong?

To me that says - near end game, forget any effort to take a city. Unless you plan to kill that entire civ off, its pointless to take anything. Does it seem like a bug that so much culture has so little effect?

Comment

• Out of curiosity, where did you hear about this patch / how did you find it?

As for your question. Maybe you're not understanding it correctly - you're not supposed to convert cities to your own nationality like that. The culture mechanics are pretty complicated, but the idea here is that time matters. Moscow had been accumulating Russian culture between 4000 BC and 1950 AD. That's a lot of culture - and, depending on city placement, maybe other cities were contributing, too.

Generally, if you take a city that late in the game, you'll never make your culture the dominant one. You're competing against all that culture they accumulated over a looong time. But - you shouldn't be too concerned about it. If you want the city to be productive, just take / raze the other nearby cities so that there is no foreign culture border around your new city, and then that won't be a problem.

Something's up with the mini-mod, though... 300k culture as a great work? Uh... that is certainly more than the tile could have had at any time. Not sure what that's about.

If you run the game in debug mode (cheatcode=chipotle), you can hover your mouse over a tile while holding down Shift to see the exact breakdown of culture points.

Comment

• Does the Great Artist bomb affect the nationality %?

Comment

• It should, it creates culture. There is no "nationality" really, it's just the ratio of cultures in the city's plot.

Comment

• I figured that, but ISTR a similar problem where dumping large amounts of culture wouldn't move the % much (and yes, these were large amounts relative to the previous culture).

Comment

• Yeah, that's where some of the stranger culture mechanics kick in.

Comment

• Elaborate, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X