No announcement yet.

BtS unofficial patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got BtS today. Played a complete game nonstop(tired. now. ) and when I start my next game I'm planning on using the unofficial patch. Seems like a huge amount of time have been spent here, thanks. Now I just hope my spaceship won't crash in the next game too, I lost over 2000 points on that failure in today's game. I had forgot what a letdown that was in the earlier civ games. Still, a fun and realistic touch to the game.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carch
      Thanks for the reply, Blake. And thanks again for putting the work into this patch. Given what the first 2 "official" US patches did, I imagine it'd be hard for your "unofficial" changes to be worse!
      Keep in mind that Solver is heavily connected to the development of the game, he's been a beta-tester and something of a consultant ever since it was in development. He's sort of an unofficial member of the Firaxis team working on it, so to speak. So any fixes or changes he makes are probably going to end up being "official" eventually. Especially anything that he's done in collobaration with Blake, as he's the "official" AI programmer for the XP. You may as well look at anything being done here as a beta patch.
      Last edited by Willem; August 16, 2007, 18:30.

Comment

• Solver,

Along with myriads of other posters, let me add my thanks and well done! You obviously love your work and the Civ community alot to do the work and stay as closely connected out here. Hope the burn out factor remains low.

I do have a question. How much of the patch released on 8/13 are your changes already effected? Each of your updates need to be re-downloaded from what point on?

Thanks again! We're lucky to have you so fervent about Civ!
        "Pain IS Scary!!!"
        Jayne, from Firefly

Comment

• Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly - each update contains the latest changes and all the previous ones. You can also safely apply it as savegames won't be ruined anyway. If the August 13 version is what you have, you should update now.

Reminds me, I need to update the original post's changelist.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• OK, I think I understand. My release is version 303 dated 8/8/07 (the second patch I've downloaded since BTS release) and your tweaks and changes are being updated beyond that on a continuous basis.

So I should download your DLL after each time you write an "Updated" note to stay current.
            "Pain IS Scary!!!"
            Jayne, from Firefly

Comment

• That's right. In addition, installing 3.03 overwrites my changes, so you need to re-install my DLL if you installed 3.03 prior to that.

Now, I can't speak with any reasonable certainty, but I do not expect I'll be making any more major updates. A fix or tweak here and there are possible, but this is probably it as far as major stuff goes.

Comment

• Got it! And thanks again!

"Pain IS Scary!!!"
                Jayne, from Firefly

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                  ... but I do not expect I'll be making any more major updates. A fix or tweak here and there are possible, but this is probably it as far as major stuff goes.
                  Good! Lock down for the real patch then!

And time to start a new game.

Comment

• Hi, I really appreciate the unofficial patch... but I didn't register and post just to say thanks...

Using the 8/16 DLL, I've run into an AI lockup. The file is uploaded here at:

(BTW, if any forum admins are reading, making the upload service accept the new savegame extension would be cool)

Just end your turn and watch the globe spin forever.

I think I have that game won, so I'm not going too crazy about it locking up, although I might try declaring war on some unlucky soul to see if I can pop the AI out of its death spiral... I just figured it'd be nice to kill all such issues before a real patch hits.

Comment

• Haven't checked it yet, but it might be the one infinite loop bug that is still left in the game. I know there is one, but I can't fix it

Comment

• Might it have something to do with colonies? One game I played the formation of a colony caused a lockup.

Comment

• The lockups with forming colonies should be fixed now. At least I know that this patch does fix several lockups and crashes with that. The one unfixed loop I know about is apparently caused by something else.

Comment

• The savegame I posted does have a rather large colony (the first one I've tried making), as I gave ol Roosevelt a big chunk of a landmass that looked suspiciously like N and S America (better he take the maintenance hit than me), and gifted him a ton of cities and workers, including some in 1-square cities (newly captured) where the workers wouldn't move at all until borders expanded.

When I end the turn, the game does make it through a couple of player's turns (their stats update), then dies on someone else's.

The only other things of note that happened recently before the lockup were Elizabeth capitulating, me founding a new city on a new island-continent, and Hannibal researching Steam Power (that one happened within a turn of the lockup). Of course, for all I know, the lockup is caused by Saladin trying to build a cottage on a mountain, or Tokugawa trying to rise from the dead, or something equally random...

Comment

• "* AI brags about it's nukes more."

Their words are now backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS?
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Hey Solver, I'm seeing some weird animations. Against an undamaged unit (so it shows all 3 guys), Two of them will get knocked down in the first "round", then the 3rd gets knocked down, then one of the first pair pops back up (like a Bozo Bop Bag), to be killed again.

I don't know if this is BtS or the patch, but I never saw it until this week.

Wodan

Comment

Working...
                                X