No announcement yet.

BtS unofficial patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solver, so have you seen an AI civ close to the domination threshold?

I've never seen the AI get close to a domination victory with Warlords because vassals only count half their land
    and population. Civs seem to capitulate very quickly when their attacker is huge. On the other hand, I've seen an

AI diplomatic victory almost entirely from a Civ and its vassals, where there's no halving.

The AI is bad enough at victories such as the space race that it does win regularly.

Is it just me or does AI_startWarValue just determine which team you attack? So increasing it for all teams when
    you're close to domination would have no effect. Shouldn't you be changing iWarRandThreshold in AI_doWar?

If you're safely over the population threshold, spamming health buildings won't get you any more territory so I'd
    make at least the check for health buildings two-sided.

Anyway, great mod!

As soon as I get round to playing much BTS, I'll have a go at modding the AI myself. But I'm already annoyed at
    some of the things that were wrong with Better AI on Warlords and haven't been corrected.

The worst is that the AI tries to grow it's cities too much before building workers or settlers. When the terrain is particularly good, it will even ignore unhealthiness or unhappiness. Here 's an extreme example of how this can go wrong. In any case, worker first at the beginning of the game is more often than not the best opening if it will have anything to do.

Here's how I'd do it:
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by =DrJambo=
      Solver, Gyathaar or Blake -
      Well, I'm none of those but here goes:

Well, does 'Missionaries' include Executives?
      Executives use the same AI type as missionaries so ships should treat them the same.

Otherwise won't the AI fail to be able to use Spies and Missionaries (+ Executives?) overseas when Caravels are obsolete?
      No, caravels can upgrade to attack submarine which is what it uses. Of course, that doesn't mean that transports wouldn't have been better for missionaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Welnic
        The D2D install is the same. The *.cpp files are the source code for the .dll. The CVGameCoreDLL.dll file in Assets is the only one that matters.
        Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nor Me

Well, I'm none of those but here goes:

Executives use the same AI type as missionaries so ships should treat them the same.

No, caravels can upgrade to attack submarine which is what it uses. Of course, that doesn't mean that transports wouldn't have been better for missionaries.
          Yep, just had a look at the files and executives have the same AI as missionaries. Fine. So what happens when caravels become obsolete?

Comment

• Wow, that's dumb. So the AI doesn't even account for corporation costs?

Comment

• Without inflation, corporation costs are probably not a big deal. Now, the way it SHOULD happen is that corporation costs DO get inflated -- but from when the corp. office is established, not from when inflation began.

It could probably be done by reducing the base cost by what the inflation amount is at the time (e.g., if 100% inflation and base cost per resource is 1.5, then reduce cost to 0.75). From that point, let inflation affect corp. costs. OTOH, is that how it is ALREADY done, and if not, then why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaybe
                Rockoon, to EASILY clear the mouse-over blockage, pass your mouse over your civ banner to the left of the mini-map in the lower right corner. That solution has also been available since day 1.
                This does not work during an event or quest menu pop-up, just as it doesnt work when a city needs new build orders or when chatting with a rival civ.

These pop-ups don't seem to be event-based or threaded in any way. In terms of my programming field, they would be called "blocking calls."

In regular Civ4 and even in Warlords this wasn't a big issue. In this expansion it has become a big issue because there is no way to undo your choices or postpone them until after you "fix" it.

In several of the event pop-ups, you are given the choice between getting say +1 coin per turn on a building or a one time +X culture jump .. clearly if you dont need the culture then you go for the coins.. but you have no way of knowing what choice does what without the mouse-overs working. This is game-impacting.

Comment

• A bug report:
                  After using this .dll, play the scenario "crossroads of the world" and use Zara Yoqob will be defeated at beginning.
                  When I use the backup .dll, this problem is solved.

Comment

• Re: Re: Perm Loop w/Perm Alliance

Originally posted by Gyathaar

The game does not really lock up.. it is just very ineffective code for sharing map info....
                    I will check this out. My computer is fairly fast (3800+ AMD64x2 / 2ghz HT bus) and I thought I had accounted for the time it would need to do this (never more than about 20 seconds when map trading on a huge map)

tx

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Perm Loop w/Perm Alliance

Originally posted by Rockoon

I will check this out. My computer is fairly fast (3800+ AMD64x2 / 2ghz HT bus) and I thought I had accounted for the time it would need to do this (never more than about 20 seconds when map trading on a huge map)

tx
                      Yes, but I already recoded map trading in the same way during BtS devalopment.. before that there was rare cases where it would take many minutes

Comment

• Modified code so that units set to auto-explore will stop and heal when wounded.
                        From function:
                        Code:
                        bool CvUnitAI::AI_heal(int iDamagePercent, int iMaxPath)
                        replace:
                        Code:
                        if (plot()->isCity() || (healTurns(plot()) == 1))
                        with:
                        Code:
                        if (plot()->isCity() || (healTurns(plot()) == 1) || (AI_getUnitAIType() == UNITAI_EXPLORE))
                        Bh

Comment

• Modified code to (hopefully) prevent auto-explore units from getting "stuck".
                          From function:
                          Code:
                          bool CvUnitAI::AI_exploreRange(int iRange)
                          replace:
                          Code:
                          iDirectionModifier += (50 * (abs(iDX) + abs(iDY))) / iSearchRange;
                          with:
                          Code:
                          iDirectionModifier += (50 * ((iSearchRange - abs(iDX)) + (iSearchRange - abs(iDY)))) / iSearchRange;
                          I think the iDirectionModifier was intended to prioritize closer plots, but ended up prioritizing plots farther away. So what would happen is the scout (or whatever unit) would move away from a close unexplored plot to explore one farther away, then next turn, decide that the plot that was originally closer needs to be explored because it's now farther away. This change should prioritize closer plots, which should "unstick" things. I verified that it fixed the "stick" of the explorer from this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234902

Bh

Comment

• *sigh*

Guess Firaxis isn't getting my money for at least a few more weeks it seems -_-.

Comment

• Solver, thanks for the work you're doing on this, and also thanks to the others who are helping out. Since you keep adding to it, I would find it useful, and I suspect others would too, if you would start putting dates by each new item in the list of things fixed in the top post. That would make it easier to figure out when it's worth downloading a new version.

Comment

• Worth downloading? Of course it's worth downloading! Dates would help us know if we are up to date.
                                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                                X