A Trebu-shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Trebu-shame

Everytime I use trebuchets to take a city, not a single one of them remains after the seige. Is this programmed in or are the trebuchets just vulnerable?

BTW: running BtS.

Re: A Trebu-shame(Siege changes in BTS)

Originally posted by ahenobarb
    Everytime I use trebuchets to take a city, not a single one of them remains after the seige. Is this programmed in or are the trebuchets just vulnerable?

Siege weapons have been changed in BTS:

Siege units have been tweaked significantly in BTS to aid play balance. Siege Units now have a "Maximum Damage" limit. When a Siege Unit attacks, it may cause damage up to its damage limit before withdrawing. No unit with health below a Siege Unit's damage limit can be attacked by a Siege Unit. Defending Siege Units may still destroy attacking Units.

In addition, some Mounted and Helicopter Units now receive a Flank Attack against Siege Units. When attacking a stack of units containing Siege Units, these special Mounted Units will damage any Siege Units in that stack so long as the Mounted Unit survives Combat. This means that a Mounted Unit with the Flank Attack ability which retreats from combat will still damage Siege Units.

I would guess that this is to reduce the tendency of making stacks of 8 trebs and one or two guard units running around conquering cities.

Comment

Yes, it appears they are also a lot more frail. I was attacking with stacks of cataphracts (6-8), macemen (2-4), longbowmen (1-2), supported by 4 trebuchets. However, in capturing around 15 cities only 1 trebuchet ever survived the assault. Each time I had to wait for a new set of trebuchets to be built before moving on.

The opponent didn't have any significant amount of mounted units. I guess they are just bumped up in the damage line for units during seiges.

Comment

The city raider promotion for your trebs may help them survive, but 4 trebs in a stack doesn't sound like near enough for a sustained offensive. Unless they're backed up by a steady stream of reinforcements.

Comment

Re: A Trebu-shame

Originally posted by ahenobarb

This is one of the best things that has happened to Civ4

The biggest imbalance in the original game was the overpowered artillery and trebs were in a league of their own.

To follow on from jvstin’s comment, the no-brainer strategy of sending the artillery into the breach to capture the key fortified positions of a city doesn’t work. Now the human warmonger has to think a bit more

Comment

They nerfed seige units? Sweet.

Comment

Is trebuchet pronounced the French way i.e. treh-boo-shay?
              Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Considering how its shorthand is "Treb" (pronounced tr-ebb), yes, I would say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak
                  They nerfed seige units? Sweet.
                  Yep... the days of a stack of 20 cats and a couple of ax man are over
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin
                    If I remember correctly from the History Channel, I've generally heard it pronounced with a long u sound in the second syllable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin
                      trěb’yə-shět’ from wiktionary but thats impossible to read anyway.

I pronounce it Trehb-you-shaye, though I used to say "Trench Bucket" when I was a kid =)
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

dp
                        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Yep... the days of a stack of 20 cats and a couple of ax man are over
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                          X