No announcement yet.

Alexander is a Macedonian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never heard of a Macedonian civilization, but I've heard of Greek civilization. I've heard of Macedonia as a kingdom but I've never heard of Greece as a state up to early 19th century. You better define what you're talking about, if you know what you're talking about.

And since this game is called Civilization then I guess your request/proposal/troll/whatever is not going to make it

BTW, I get that feeling that famousguy is Kuciwalker's DL

Comment

Originally posted by famousguy
      will9, i understand your confusion, you see, greece was conquered by alexanders father Phillip the second(i dont know if phillip the first was a king but who cares about the unfamous guy! so for a long greece was ruled by macedonia, even after alexanders father was assasinated, he also conquered persia if you didnt know, o wait do u have Civ4 Warlords?
      Will9 is correct. The Macedonian royal family considered itself Greek and traced its origins back to the Greek city of Argos. That they were accepted as Greek by the other Greeks, albeit as rougher and less cultured than those in the south, is proved by the fact that from the time of Alexander I (Alexander the Great was Alexander III), Macedonian kings participated in the Olympic games, a religious festival reserved for Greeks.

Alexander's mother, Olympias, was of the Mollosian royal house and from Epirus, a land in the western part of the Greek peninsula. When Cleisthenes, the tyrant of Sicyon, wished to find a suitable husband for his daughter Agariste he invited “the best of the Greeks” in order to decide which one would marry her. Among the Greek contestants was the Molossian king Alkon, thereby proving that the Molossians considered themselves Greek (they believed they were descended from Achilles' son Neoptolemus) and were accepted as such.

Alexander's father, Philip II, was son of Amyntas III of Macedon and Eurydice, a Lyncestian princess also of the Molossian royal house. He was a noted general and is creditted with inventing the phalanx. His involvement in the wars between various Greek city states (Sparta being the notable exception) culminated in his founding the League of Corinth, its members agreeing never to wage war against each other unless it was to suppress revolution.

All the ancient sources are unanimous that Alexander considered himself Greek. Born of two Greek royal houses, speaking Greek, worshipping the Greek pantheon, and son of the eventual effective ruler of Greece (sans Sparta), his campaign against the Persians, ancient enemy of and greatest threat to the Greeks, began after his father's assassination when he was elected "hegemon" of the army of invasion by his fellow Greeks. It is notable that during that war he punished Greek mercenaries who fought for the Persians for fighting against Greece. When asked why he burned the Persian palace at Persepolis, he is said to have claimed "he intended to punish the Persians for their invasion of Greece, the destruction of Athens, the burning of the temples, and all manner of terrible things done to the Greeks: because of these things, he was exacting revenge." (Arrian Anab. 3. 18. 11-12).

Alexander sounds pretty Greek to me.

Comment

Working...
      X